Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Create Old Style JPEG in TIFF

Create Old Style JPEG in TIFF

Hello Sirs..

Currently I am doing create the OLD Style JPEG compression mode in Tiff images..but I cant achieve that my goal.

If anybody knows please tell me how to do that ?

Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Create Old Style JPEG in TIFF

Quote Originally Posted by raju0003 View Post
    Hello Sirs..

Currently I am doing create the OLD Style JPEG compression mode in Tiff images..but I cant achieve that my goal.

If anybody knows please tell me how to do that ?

Thanks
    Hi Raju,

Welcome to CiC forums from me.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for the question, let alone the answer.

With both this and your other question, these seem to be very odd things to want to do for normal photography - unlees perhaps you are a teacher trying to prepare material (images) for students to investigate and possibly work on?

I think if we knew why you wanted to do these things, it may help motivate providing an answer, does that make sense?

Do we need to provide a WIndows running Irfanview answer, or do you have other software available?

Cheers,

Thanks for your prombt reply dave..

yes i will explain ...

1. Most recently we are creating Tiff compression , When I compressed the TIFF Image using LZW which is opened Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager but the Compression ratio is such big as compared to JPEG / Old Style JPEG.

2. When I used JPEG Compression mode , the compression ratio is good but not opened Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager.

3. But When I used OLD JPEG Compression mode , the compression ratio is good and also its opened Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager...

But I dont know how to compress OLD JPEG mode in Tiff Image

This is my problem DAVE

Thanks

Real Name

Hi Raju,

Thanks for the extra information.

It sounds like you're are trying to change this just so the images saved by method 2 will open in Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager
    AND you to save as a Tif file, but with a smaller filesize than LZW compression gives? Is that right?

If you look at the end of the image filenames, you will see it ending in three letters after a fullstop (period).
    For each of your "1.", "2." and "3." cases above, can you confirm these are these all ".tif"?

It may be that Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager just cannot cope with this specific filetype, just changing the words in the EXIF data is very unlikely to make it work and may result in the files being declared as corrupt so nothing will open them.

You also need to bear in mind that the compression ratio of jpg is better because, compared to LZW, it is throwing away a lot of picture information. You may well regret this if you later want to re-open and further process and save the images again.

If you don't need to re-open and edit/save, why not just save the image as a jpg (instead of tif)?
    Then set Windows up so it uses Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager for jpg too?

I am also not sure why you want that Microsoft program so much.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for your Prompt help dave..

It sounds like you're are trying to change this just so the images saved by method 2 will open in Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager
    AND you to save as a Tif file, but with a smaller filesize than LZW compression gives? Is that right?
    Actually LZW compression tiff images is doesn't matter in microsoft document imaging / microsoft picture manager ..because its viewable but when i compressed that image into [For Ex. LZW compression tiff image into JPEG Compression Tiff Image] JPEG compressed tiff image , its not viewable in microsoft document imaging / microsoft picture manager ..I dont know how to rectify that ? this is my first problem .

If you look at the end of the image filenames, you will see it ending in three letters after a fullstop (period).
    For each of your "1.", "2." and "3." cases above, can you confirm these are these all ".tif"?
    I didn't see this in tiff tags 1.2.3. continusly in tiff (LZW,JPEG,old style jpeg)

It may be that Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager just cannot cope with this specific filetype, just changing the words in the EXIF data is very unlikely to make it work and may result in the files being declared as corrupt so nothing will open them.
    Thanks for this one ..its very help ful ...but i dont know how to do that ? can you please give me one sample image which is open document imaging and should be in tiff with JPEG Compression mode , can send it please because i dont know how to modified the tags ..thats why ..

this is my mail id : raju1thang@gmail.com

If you don't need to re-open and edit/save, why not just save the image as a jpg (instead of tif)?
    Then set Windows up so it uses Microsoft document Imaging / Microsoft Picture manager for jpg too?
    its not our requirements ..dave so that i am not trying this one ..

please replay me and mail me ...

thanks

raju

Real Name

Hi Raju,

If you don't want to re-open and edit, I'll pose my last question again; why save as Tif at all? - just use jpg.

Unfortunately since I never work with Tif images (ok apart from scans, but I convert those to jpg ASAP anyway), I am the last person that should be sending you files because I don't know what I'm doing with them.

its not our requirements ..dave so that i am not trying this one ..
    Or did I just completely mis-understand this?

Dunno if anyone else can help ...

Thanks,