Thread: From decanter to wine glass

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

From decanter to wine glass

After photographing wine being poured from the bottle into this decanter displayed here, I then made the photo shown below of the wine being poured from the decanter into the wine glass.

This wine has been aerated so much due to the many pourings required to make the photos that it lost a little of its character. But it sure is smooth now!

Setup
    An off-camera flash at 1/4 power facing the subject and camera transmitted light through translucent vellum to create a bright background. A second off-camera flash at 1/25 power lighting the hand is placed to the right of the camera. It is flagged by an attachment that is part of the Spinlight 360 system. The power and firing of the off-camera flashes are controlled by the camera and an infrared signal transmitted by the built-in flash. ISO 100 and f/11.

From decanter to wine glass
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th February 2015 at 11:41 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: From decanter to wine glass

This is nicely done, Mike. The light is subtly brighter around the area of attention and the shutter was released at just the moment to get near perfect position between bottle and glass and for just a nice swirl of wine.

But I am confused about the comment re.multiple pours altering the wine. I'd have thought that after each take, you had to pause long enough to drink the wine in the glass prior to the next take. That process might not produce as high a quality image but it would be a lot more fun.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, the angles created by the glassware are perfect.

Real Name
    David

Wonderful capture Mike, it nearly makes me want to take up wine drinking

Real Name
    John

Missed your first one Mike but the second in that series would have been my choice. Love this one as well. My only thought is, what would it look like with the base of the glass included (might have to be a square format for that)? Love the decanter BTW - elegant.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Wonderful capture Mike, it nearly makes me want to take up wine drinking
    Oh David, it's never too late.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks, everyone, especially for your good sense of humor!

Dan: The timing is mostly a matter of dumb luck, making repeated attempts, not having the slightest idea if one of them works until reviewing the images on the camera's LCD, then reviewing the larger size on the computer located in a different room almost always to learn that what I thought was good on the camera's LCD really doesn't work when displayed at a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    it nearly makes me want to take up wine drinking
    Nah, David. I prefer that you leave the wine for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    what would it look like with the base of the glass included (might have to be a square format for that)?
    Including the entire wine glass was my first thought as well. The problem I encountered when pouring from right to left as in this image was a large amount of negative space occupying most of the lower half that served no purpose. I tried moving my hand and the bottom of the decanter into that area by pouring more from the front to the rear of the scene rather than only from the right to the left. The overall composition wasn't as compelling for me and I wouldn't have been able to include everything in the depth of field, so I went with the composition shown here.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th February 2015 at 02:21 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Thanks, everyone, especially for your good sense of humor!

....................................Including the entire wine glass was my first thought as well. The problem I encountered was a large amount of negative space occupying most of the lower half that served no purpose. I even tried moving my hand and the bottom of the decanter into that area by pouring more from the front to the rear of the scene rather than only from the right to the left. The overall composition wasn't as compelling for me, so I went with the composition shown here.
    Fair comment. I just wondered.