Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Problems selecting tools...

Real Name
    Richard

Problems selecting tools...

Occasionally, my Photoshop CS3 gets locked into the hand icon and I cannot select other tool icons such as the magnifier or the crop tool from my tool bar. When this happens, I will often need to shut Photoshop down and reopen it.

That fix usually takes care of the problem but, sometimes it doesn't and I have to shut down and open PS3 several times. I can't figure out when and why I lose the tool selection capability but, it is really frustration.

It never gets locked into any other tool except the hand icon.

Re: Problems selecting tools...

I sometimes get that, also I lose ALT/F9 (open actions window) and other function keys. I do the same as you. It's often when I have been doing some heavy editing, so I assume it's a memory thing. I use CS4.

Real Name
    Ron

Hei,
    This also happens with Elements 8 eg 'hand' only. The only way I get it all back to normal is to reboot my pc. I reckon you are correct saying its down to the 'bells and whistles' of power

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I get something similar (in Elements 6) - I never use the hand icon, but find that after heavy editing, sometimes I cannot change any of the settings along the top edge of the screen, so on crop for instance, I lose the ability to select between No restriction and the preset aspect ratios like 5 x 5. It's not just the crop tool though, I can switch to other tools, but their options like feathering aren't accessible.

As with Ron, it usually takes a PC reboot, or at least the closure of any and all open applications to get it working again

Doesn't happen that often, but when it does - Grrrr!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th May 2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add software and version #

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Resetting the prefs is the standard response to funnies like that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I assume that all updates are downloaded and applied?

Real Name
    David

Wow!!! and I thought it was just me. Have had this "hand thingy" with Elements 7 and yes it is when a lot of editing has been done... and...... wait for it..... nothing has been saved...... then it is usually time to take the dog for a walk

David

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Sometimes doing a purge helps. I used to get this all the time in CS2. I use CS3 now and also it's on a better pooter. Maybe Rob's right with the memory answer.