Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Feeble attempt at Water Drop shots...

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

My Feeble attempt at Water Drop shots...

Here are a few shots from 100s of shots I took last night.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

The Set up

The poor man's setup!

Re: The Set up

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    The poor man's setup!

Sahil

No good at all. I mean, that table should be oak at the very least, and the camera strap should be leather...

Seriously... pretty good for first attempt. If you use a longer dish you can probably get a lower camera angle. An oven roasting tin seems to be the popular weapon of choice. Flash guns or flash studio heads would probably help too. Do you have any? Good attempt though. Keep firing!... click...click...click...click...click...click...cl ick...click...click...click...click...click...clic k...click...click...click...click...click...click. ..click...click...click...click...click...click... click...click...click...click...click...click...cl ick...click...click...click...click...click...clic k...click...click...click...click...click...click. ..click...click...click...click...click...click... click...click...click...click...click...click...cl ick...click...click...click...click...click...clic k...click...click...click...click...click...click. ..click...click...click...click...click...click...

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks Rob
    And the wood, I don't know what types, must be more expensive than the oak wood
    Should the camera be pointing downwards or perpendicular to the water surface? No Rob, I don't have flash guns or flash studio heads and don't intend to get them in near future. And yea, it took soooo many clicks!

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Sahil;

These are very nice, especially the first. They really show the smoothness of the water.

If you either get a shallower tray, as Rob said, or fill your bowl almost to the top, you can lower the camera down so it's shooting more across the water. Then a shot like #1 will show more separation between the drop and the surface. I haven't really tried shooting with on-camera flash, but I would probably try putting something white behind the bowl so that it illuminates the water from behind, as well. I know Jeroen uses (or has used) on-camera flash, perhaps he has a suggestion. Different angles are good to experiment with.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks Rick. I will try with some better bowl next time and will fill it up to the top. Will keep the tips in mind and hope to come up with some better shots.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Not so feeble. I particularly like the first one....looks unique among the similars I've seen...perhaps it's the angle.
    Why do I feel an increasing compulsion to try this someday?

Chuck

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Not so feeble. I particularly like the first one....looks unique among the similars I've seen...perhaps it's the angle.
    Why do I feel an increasing compulsion to try this someday?

Chuck
    Rob said it: it's addictive. The sound of click...click...click for hours at a time gives a sense of great peace. Kind of a photographer's mantra.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I agree with Chuck; not so feeble Sahil
    ... and they are nice and sharp

I like both the first two, the third and fourth lack sufficient clarity of coronet or column from the (more complex) backgrounds.
    I suspect this is partly the flat lighting caused by on camera flash, but also the more top down view angle probably isn't helping either.

Looking at the set up shot, is that as low as the tripod goes? (depends if centre column is fixed)
    If so, you may need a few more phone directories to raise the bowl

Good effort,

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks everyone for kind words.
    Chuck, you must try this. Its fun and you don't even realise where 1-2 hours are gone.
    And during these shots I realised how loooonggggg flash takes to reload

Looking at the set up shot, is that as low as the tripod goes? (depends if centre column is fixed)
    If so, you may need a few more phone directories to raise the bowl
    Yes, Dave thats as low as my tripod goes.
    I haven't seen phone directories for a while now. Bless cellular phones age!
    That goddamn book lying there is Income Tax book. It caused havoc in the course!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    That goddamn book lying there is Income Tax book. It caused havoc in the course!
    Ah, ok

Know any friends willing to lend you their books then?
    Or are they too fond of their door stops?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Dave, the management books I have are enough to let even the stool go. I won't need anything. GAWD! Those heavy useless books!