Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Meetup

Real Name
    John

Photo Meetup

Has anyone ever arranged a meeting with a forum member for photo excursion?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Photo Meetup

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    No.

(That was easy )

Seriously, dunno - I've had one pop in to see me here in Nelson NZ, but most of you are a bit too far away for me.

photo excursion
    thats what they're calling it these days is it...I must catchup with my urban dictionary

The answer is no. I get ratty with myself on a shoot never mind any one else

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The answer is no. I get ratty with myself on a shoot never mind any one else
    Yeah - being a bit of a loner, I enjoy the solitude (until the cell phone rings ... "Dad, AJ poked her tongue out at me and Mum won't do anything about it ... will you come home and tell her off".

However if I'm in more of a thinking mood ... "The mobile phone your calling is either switched off or is currently outside the coverage area"

Real Name
    John

I normally travel with the wife for leisure and she loves to talk to people and it makes it easier to photograph strangers. When I travel alone some people are reluctant to speak to me even though I am carrying a camera. I think a group of photographers. depending on the setting, would be less suspicious than a lone photographer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Yeah - being a bit of a loner, I enjoy the solitude (until the cell phone rings ... "Dad, AJ poked her tongue out at me and Mum won't do anything about it ... will you come home and tell her off".

However if I'm in more of a thinking mood ... "The mobile phone your calling is either switched off or is currently outside the coverage area"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I suspect we must be a bit of an odd bunch on here! I know a number of other fora organise group meetings. I'm like Colin - it's an activity I want to do on my own. I don't think I'm anti-social or a loner. But this is my activity that I want to do on my own, enjoy doing on my own and, I think, can only be successful in doing on my own. I love you all dearly, but don't want you alongside me when I'm out there with my camera. Even my partner and I have reached a working agreement that I don't think of time out we have together as a photo shoot - ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I love you all dearly... Photo Meetup
    I'm afraid I can never understand how people can take pictures in a group. I just don't see how it can work. I tried it once and I just wanted to come away. It's not that I'm anti-social (if I were I wouldn't be a very active member on here, I can assure you) it's just the impracticality of taking pictures in a group. Ditto walking in a group. I go out with my wife and we see a rambling group of about 30 people, all of different abilities/speeds etc. If it's a social thing why don't they just meet in a pub and talk?

Is it me? Am I wrong?

Here.. have more (non-gay) kisses, because I love you all too...Photo MeetupPhoto MeetupPhoto Meetup

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'm sooo lonely (sniff, boo hoo)

No seriously, I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Having tried it with family a while ago, they get (very obviously, but politely) bored hanging around, then I feel guilty and rushed.

Although my eldest has recently borrowed my old Fuji S6500 on a few trips now and I'm educating her as I go, in time, we may hopefully reach a point where she will understand what effect reflectors and shades have, and then we can hold them for each other's shots. I'm thinking of macros of flowers, etc. - I'll have some snapshots from (world famous?) Kew Gardens to post soon and intend to go back again.

But if anyone else out there in, or visiting, the south of England, drop me a PM and we could meet up.
    I have a car and can travel, even pick up/drop off at a station if you're without a car (but not a central London terminus - sorry, I'm not mad). Although working, I'm not limited to weekends, as I have plenty of leave and rarely get through it all, so with forethought can do a weekday trip. Or I can travel towards you of course, if there's a suitable location nearer you than me.

However - I suspect it would only work on flora/fauna photography where a trained/trainable extra pair of hands and/or eyes are well worth having, and you still need to be willing to give as much help as you receive. I can see that for landscape or urban photography, there's just no benefit to each other, as said above.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th May 2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added bold, 'cos it's quite important

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Well, it's a bit early for me to have met up with any here, but I did go for an excursion (good job Firefox can spell...) with some local camera club members, out to the Wairarapa coast. I'm usually a complete loner when shooting, so it was interesting to see just how others operated in the same environment. They were certainly seeing and shooting stuff that I wasn't and vice versa. While I wouldn't want to do it every time, it was a good experience to see how we can feed off others' ideas.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    No.

(That was easy )

Seriously, dunno - I've had one pop in to see me here in Nelson NZ, but most of you are a bit too far away for me.
    You could always fly over in your Lear Jet Colin

I'd be too embarrassed, just waiting for the immortal words ; 'are you still doing that' or 'why are you taking so long' or 'that won't work'.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Well, it's a bit early for me to have met up with any here
    Absolutely, internet horror stories abound.

One could inadvertently agree to meet with a mugger (in a deserted place) and lose all one's kit, or even get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Love it! Photo Meetup

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Unfortunately, what I used to fly wasn't a lear (which can climb about 5 times faster with one of it's two engines inoperative than what I used to fly could with both engines turning!).

It would have been nice to have been able to fly it to another country, but the fuel would run out pretty much 1/2 way between New Zealand and Australia! Houston, we have a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Aye, lots of times and enjoyed every one of them. I prefer to be on my own for most of my photography too but I view forum meetups as more of a social event and an opportunity to meet people face to face.

Had a girlfriend I met through a photo forum for a while too. Should've know better really....she had a Nikon, I had a Canon....didn't work....they're not compatible

Real Name
    John

She had the Nikon, you let a good one get away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Aye, lots of times and enjoyed every one of them. I prefer to be on my own for most of my photography too but I view forum meetups as more of a social event and an opportunity to meet people face to face.

Had a girlfriend I met through a photo forum for a while too. Should've know better really....she had a Nikon, I had a Canon....didn't work....they're not compatible

Real Name

Had a girlfriend I met through a photo forum for a while too. Should've know better really....she had a Nikon
    Hmm, I've got a Nikon, have you still got her address?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hmm, I've got a Nikon, have you still got her address?
    I could buy a Nikon. And I'm in Scotland.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I have a Nikon and I am Single
    I am in India

Real Name

I would have thought that between the two of you you could rule the world!

Real Name
    Ali

I have a Canon and I am getting closer to divorce as a result

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast