Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bamboo rafts on the Li River, Guangxi, China

Real Name
    Richard

Bamboo rafts on the Li River, Guangxi, China

Bamboo rafts are still a mode of transportation and commerce on the Li River in Guangxi Province of Southwestern China.

I shot these images of a pole propelled vendor's raft and a motorized tourist raft on the Li River between the cities of Guilin and Yangshuo. That stretch of the Li River is, IMO, one of the most beautiful areas in the world. The limestone karst formations reach out from the lush vegetation (the region gets almost two and a half meters of rain each year). I could say to myself that someday, I will return in hopefully better weather but, I have so many other places to see.

It was that rain that killed my opportunity to achieve the type of images I was hoping for along the Li. The fog, rain and mist obscured the karst formations leaving a dull gray vista. No amount of post processing could pull these images out. I contented myself with closer images such as of the vendor poling his raft in the rain as he poled out to the tour boat in order to sell souvenir carvings.

raft-li-river.jpg

raft-li-river-motorized.jpg

Canon 30D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens, ISO 200
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th May 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add images inline

Real Name
    John

Re: Bamboo rafts on the Li River, Guangxi, China

What were you trying to achieve that you feel you didn't capture in these images? If it was sharp focus could it be the lens you were using, depending on how much of the shot you wanted in focus that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Bamboo rafts are still a mode of transportation and commerce on the Li River in Guangxi Province of Southwestern China.

It was that rain that killed my opportunity to achieve the type of images I was hoping for along the Li. The fog, rain and mist obscured the karst formations leaving a dull gray vista. No amount of post processing could pull these images out. I contented myself with closer images such as of the vendor poling his raft in the rain as he poled out to the tour boat in order to sell souvenir carvings.

raft-li-river.jpg

raft-li-river-motorized.jpg

Canon 30D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens, ISO 200
    Last edited by Shadowman; 5th May 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Changed position of question in text box.