Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Raw Format Images

Real Name
    Grant

Raw Format Images

Dinner Falls

Raw Format Images

The photo above is my first attempt at capturing images in raw format (Canon 40D) but I am not too sure that I am doing the right thing. I used Canon Digital Photo Professional software to adjust the image to pretty much what I recall what it looked like at the time. But this software only allows you to save as a CR2 raw file. There is an option to open in Photoshop which converts the raw file to a tif. Is this OK? Is the tif file lossless? I saw an earlier post mention converting to DNG and then discarding the raw files. How does the DNG format compare to tif for file size and durability? I would like to establish a routine for my raw files that allows me to process them relatively easily but at the same time saves the original data and does not quickly chew up all the space on my external drives.

Grant

Re: Raw Format Images

Have you read the follow articles?

Understanding Image Types: JPEG & TIFF
    Understanding RAW Files: Why Should I Use RAW?
    A Closer Look at Resizing an Image for the Web & Email
    How to Make Archival Digital Photo Backups

There is an option to open in Photoshop which converts the raw file to a tif. Is this OK?

I don't see why not, although I find processing in TIFF is slower, perhaps due to its larger size. Also, I personally like doing minor and perhaps preliminary processing in Adobe Camera Raw. Eg Clarity and vibrancy

Is the tif file lossless? Yes

I saw an earlier post mention converting to DNG and then discarding the raw files. How does the DNG format compare to tif for file size and durability?
    In the tutorial

I would like to establish a routine for my raw files that allows me to process them relatively easily but at the same time saves the original data and does not quickly chew up all the space on my external drives.

Scott Kelby's PS4 book taught me how, but I think Colin can offer more help. You can, for instance, apply a border via automation.

Canon DPP allows you to convert RAW to other formats and Save into a folder of your choice. When I was using DPP for conversion, I just did basic adjustments, if required, on the RAW files then converted them to a 16 bit Tiff which I sent to a folder that I named Converted Raw Images.

These Tiff files can then be opened with any editing software for further processing.

I found the DPP settings options to, initially, be a touch confusing but there are several available alternatives to consider.

It will take me a bit of time to rethink which settings I used but there are a few other people here who use DPP so perhaps they will be able to add some more specific advice.

But if you have other editing software which will open RAW files it may be better to use that directly. Nowadays, I just download my images from the camera using the Canon EOS Utility into a suitable folder and work directly from that with my normal editing programme.

I have recently been experimenting with Raw Therapee as a converter; but although it does an excellent job, I find it to be a tricky programme to operate.

Real Name
    Grant

Thank you both for your helpful advice. I now realise I should have looked closer at the tutorials. I will now start with them and, hopefully, soon get on top of RAW.

Grant

But if you need any more help or information, just ask.