Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson 2880 - major problem - Streaking after major cleaning

Epson 2880 - major problem - Streaking after major cleaning

Background. I have an Epson 2880 that I,recently, put in Cone (Inkjetmall) pigment inks. I was pretty sure I had all the color management issues done correctly so I felt I could print properly from Lightroom. I had made a few random prints and everything seemed to be OK. In preparation for printing, I decided to do a major cleaning. I used the Inkjetmall Piezoflush to clean out the capping station and then cleaned out each nozzle with the dummy cartridge (Inkjetmall). From Inkjetmall's videos, I thought I had done everything properly (moving the printhead and putting the paper towels underneath, etc.). I then refilled and reset all the cartridges and put them back in and turned everything back on and made a test print. What I got was a lot of black, messy, streaks on the paper. I did a bunch of nozzle checks and cleanings and, as I have been using a trial version of Qimage Ultimate, I tried their nozzle unclog feature. I had also used the Qimage shortly before all this but I doubt that Q would be the cause of any of this. Now, when I do a nozzle check, I get a controlled streak of colors across the top (bottom?) of the page. Slightly better but still a problem. From the videos, the one thing I did not do was clean off the wiper blade because the access seemed confusing I did not want to poke around and damage something.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong or how I can fix this problem?

I also posted on DPReview.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Epson 2880 - major problem - Streaking after major cleaning

Now That is serious!

I suggest you talk to the people at Inkjet mail, I buy my inks and papers from permajet and they have an excellent technicle support department. So i hope inkmail will have the same.

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

I have an Epson R1800 printer (roughly ten years old) which gave me problems recently. I realise that it is a different model but like yours it uses pigment inks. Problems were due to lack of use. The ink was drying and clogging the jets. I freed it up using a window cleaning fluid and it's fine now.
    Two things I discovered about mine which may be helpful.
    1. Use of the printer's cleaning function more than twice in one session can cause a build-up of discarded ink which will smudge on the paper.
    2. There appears to be a small reservoir for wasted ink at both ends of the carriage which seemed to be too full on mine so I soaked some of it out using cotton buds and absorbent paper towels. I must emphasise that I'm not sure that's recommended by Epson but it worked for me.
    Please note also that using a window cleaning fluid is not an Epson recommended remedy but one I picked up on the 'net. You could Google this yourself to identify one that is known to work and is available locally.
    The printer works fine now but it seems to be important not to leave it unused for more than 3 or 4 weeks to prevent ink from congealing.
    Hope this helps.

I posted on Inkjetmall but got no responses. I have other problems. The left two lights are blinking together. While trying the streaking problem, I replaced all the inks, rest all the chips, and now I get the left two lights blinking together. From research, it is hard to tell what the problem is. I am pretty sure nothing is caught inside. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am with you here, Neville...I also have an Epson printer and when I was moving my piano to the other side where my printers used to be, I forgot that the last time I used that Epson was when I was doing the CD covers for my big project. After that I thought I was saving ink by not not using it even once a month. Anyway, the ink dried and no matter how many times I cleaned it, it wouldn't budge. I ended up replacing the whole set of cartridges and they are not cheap by any means because I only use real Epson inks for them. Same as yours, lack of use via a stupid reason...it's fine now too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndukes View Post
    I have an Epson R1800 printer (roughly ten years old) which gave me problems recently. I realise that it is a different model but like yours it uses pigment inks. Problems were due to lack of use. The ink was drying and clogging the jets. I freed it up using a window cleaning fluid and it's fine now.
    Two things I discovered about mine which may be helpful.
    1. Use of the printer's cleaning function more than twice in one session can cause a build-up of discarded ink which will smudge on the paper.
    2. There appears to be a small reservoir for wasted ink at both ends of the carriage which seemed to be too full on mine so I soaked some of it out using cotton buds and absorbent paper towels. I must emphasise that I'm not sure that's recommended by Epson but it worked for me.
    Please note also that using a window cleaning fluid is not an Epson recommended remedy but one I picked up on the 'net. You could Google this yourself to identify one that is known to work and is available locally.
    The printer works fine now but it seems to be important not to leave it unused for more than 3 or 4 weeks to prevent ink from congealing.
    Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Alandb View Post
    I posted on Inkjetmall but got no responses. I have other problems. The left two lights are blinking together. While trying the streaking problem, I replaced all the inks, rest all the chips, and now I get the left two lights blinking together. From research, it is hard to tell what the problem is. I am pretty sure nothing is caught inside. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    The lack of response from Inkjetmail speaks volumes of how well they support / stand behind their products.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th January 2015 at 04:57 AM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I am with you here, Neville...I also have an Epson printer and when I was moving my piano to the other side where my printers used to be, I forgot that the last time I used that Epson was when I was doing the CD covers for my big project. After that I thought I was saving ink by not not using it even once a month. Anyway, the ink dried and no matter how many times I cleaned it, it wouldn't budge. I ended up replacing the whole set of cartridges and they are not cheap by any means because I only use real Epson inks for them. Same as yours, lack of use via a stupid reason...it's fine now too...
    Izzie,

Your idea for saving ink wasn't stupid, you just weren't aware of the clogging effect. I've had my eye on a large format printer for about six months, I haven't moved forward because of the issues you had with your equipment. I've spoken to sales reps about the concern and they've assured me that the clogging issue won't occur; but I'm skeptical after reading of so many users having the same problem. I like to travel and wouldn't be able to do maintenance on a printer once a week. You'd think the manufacturer could program the unit to do a test print on a weekly basis to prevent the print heads from clogging.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Izzie,

Your idea for saving ink wasn't stupid, you just weren't aware of the clogging effect. I've had my eye on a large format printer for about six months, I haven't moved forward because of the issues you had with your equipment. I've spoken to sales reps about the concern and they've assured me that the clogging issue won't occur; but I'm skeptical after reading of so many users having the same problem. I like to travel and wouldn't be able to do maintenance on a printer once a week. You'd think the manufacturer could program the unit to do a test print on a weekly basis to prevent the print heads from clogging.
    I have an Epson 3880 ive had it for nearly 2 years as you probably know i work away and the printer remains unused for a minimum of 10 weeks at a time ive not had a single clogging problem. (he says reaching out to touch his wooden desk...)

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    I have an Epson 3880 ive had it for nearly 2 years as you probably know i work away and the printer remains unused for a minimum of 10 weeks at a time ive not had a single clogging problem. (he says reaching out to touch his wooden desk...)
    What's your secret? Do you unplug it, remove printheads?

Real Name
    Mark

What's your secret? Do you unplug it, remove printheads?
    No John i leave it plugged in and switched on i dont remove anything, it tends to run a clean cycle when i use it again but not always, apart from that i dont know what to say, maybe its the ultra chrome k3 inks but all i can say is that i get no clogging at all....

Real Name
    John

No John i leave it plugged in and switched on i dont remove anything, it tends to run a clean cycle when i use it again but not always, apart from that i dont know what to say, maybe its the ultra chrome k3 inks but all i can say is that i get no clogging at all....
    Interesting, I have heard that particular Epson models work better than others, some of the newer series seem to have more issues than older models.

Real Name
    Mark

Interesting, I have heard that particular Epson models work better than others, some of the newer series seem to have more issues than older models.
    I know sombody with a 4980 if you want, ill ask them how they get on?

Real Name
    John

I know sombody with a 4980 if you want, ill ask them how they get on?
    That would be great, thanks.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John - I also have the Epson 3880 and my experience has been identical to Mark's.

Once you get into the professional line (and the 3880 is the bottom end of that line), build quality and performance is significantly better than the units designed for the consumer market. I had the same clogging issues as others have reported with my consumer level Canon inkjet printer.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    John - I also have the Epson 3880 and my experience has been identical to Mark's.

Once you get into the professional line (and the 3880 is the bottom end of that line), build quality and performance is significantly better than the units designed for the consumer market. I had the same clogging issues as others have reported with my consumer level Canon inkjet printer.
    Manfred,

I thought the clogging issues were the opposite regarding consumer/professional models. The complaints I've read about on forums is that the professional models are more fickle, of course the print head technology is completely different. My desire, prior to purchasing; would be to see a live setup of the printer and also do some test prints. I believe Epson has showrooms which allow such service.

Maybe someone could could actually provide some help rather than all the side discussions.

Real Name
    John

You received a response in post #2 which you haven't completely followed up on.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alandb View Post
    Maybe someone could could actually provide some help rather than all the side discussions.
    Believe it or not we arnt printer technicians we are users just like yourself. Can you reinstall the epson carts and see if you blinking light problem goes away.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred,

I thought the clogging issues were the opposite regarding consumer/professional models. The complaints I've read about on forums is that the professional models are more fickle, of course the print head technology is completely different. My desire, prior to purchasing; would be to see a live setup of the printer and also do some test prints. I believe Epson has showrooms which allow such service.
    No; quite the opposite. The people using pro printers won't tolerate these types of issues, so the manufacturers do make the effort to reduce the likelihood of these types of issues occuring. They certainly charge enoiguh for this "privilege".

Consumer printers are pretty well throw-away devices that are little more than a way of pushing ink cartridge sales.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    No; quite the opposite. The people using pro printers won't tolerate these types of issues, so the manufacturers do make the effort to reduce the likelihood of these types of issues occuring. They certainly charge enoiguh for this "privilege".

Consumer printers are pretty well throw-away devices that are little more than a way of pushing ink cartridge sales.
    The sales rep I spoke to assured me of reliability of their equipment, but you know how far that goes. Obviously I wouldn't be able to verify the clogging issues without purchasing first, will look further into printer capabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast