Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project 52 (sort of, maybe Mark VK)

Real Name
    Mark

Project 52 (sort of, maybe Mark VK)

Ok im willing to have another go at this, I first tried in 2012 and failed miserably . Strangely enough my ship at that time was in Genoa Italy and im back there now. Unfortunately i dont have my camera with me on this trip and ive cleared my catalog off my lappy onto my main home machine, so im going to participate as best i can until i get home!

Im not really good at this sort of thing as i have shall we say an mercurial nature and get bored far to easily but ill have a go and most of my input will be pp because thats what i wish to focus on (pun intended)

So heres my first attempt. its a panorama of 4 images done in LR 5.7 and CS5 the images were originally imported and converted to DNG in LR i corrected exposure so all images matched and increased vibrance & Clarity, I didnt alter them much but wonder if it all looks a little harsh?

Please view in lightbox and id appreciate C&C This will be printed out as a wedding present for a Romanian friend of mine whos wedding i attended in October (but more of this later as they are the only images i have with me!)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Project 52 (sort of, maybe Mark VK)

Welcome back, Mark...last time (I remember...) you were here you're on the way to Turkey. I kept staring at that greenish transparent thingie in the middle of your shot...What is that?

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Welcome back, Mark...last time (I remember...) you were here you're on the way to Turkey. I kept staring at that greenish transparent thingie in the middle of your shot...What is that?

thanks Izzie, yeh i get about! Hopefully ill hang around here a little more this time, i need to spend more time doing something productive! i need to re design my web sit for a start.... watching far too much TV. need to lose weight.... need to learn to play one of the many instruments i have....Need to blow the dust off my underwater cam and use it.....Need to get my kite out and go surfing... Need to.... neeed to. neeeeeed to.... you get the message

greenish transparent thinginy? do you mean the ski slope without snow that goes up between the trees to the cloud line?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Ok im willing to have another go at this, I first tried in 2012 and failed miserably . Strangely enough my ship at that time was in Genoa Italy and im back there now. Unfortunately i dont have my camera with me on this trip and ive cleared my catalog off my lappy onto my main home machine, so im going to participate as best i can until i get home!

Im not really good at this sort of thing as i have shall we say an mercurial nature and get bored far to easily but ill have a go and most of my input will be pp because thats what i wish to focus on (pun intended)

So heres my first attempt. its a panorama of 4 images done in LR 5.7 and CS5 the images were originally imported and converted to DNG in LR i corrected exposure so all images matched and increased vibrance & Clarity, I didnt alter them much but wonder if it all looks a little harsh?

Please view in lightbox and id appreciate C&C This will be printed out as a wedding present for a Romanian friend of mine whos wedding i attended in October (but more of this later as they are the only images i have with me!)

Mark,

Welcome back, Is the boredom contributed to photography or undertaking the Project 52? If it's the latter perhaps revising your project (Monthly contribution) is in order. If the boredom is with photography I don't know how you'll benefit from the Project 52.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome back, The boredom is just part of my nature! its one of the reasons that i enjoy photography so much. photography has so many different facets that if i get bored i just try something else different. even having said that though i still tend to drift in and out of it, which makes project 52 difficult for me, but hey ho we will see how i do eh?

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Mark
    I haven't been around here long enough to know you'd been away but I'll welcome you back as well.

I like the job you've done with the pano; level horizon, no visible joins etc. One thing to my eye though is that the highlights seem to have washed out some detail. Some of the house roofs just look white (maybe they are) but the sky especially looks over exposed to me. Mind you I've never been to where the shots were taken and that may be exactly what it looked like but for the sake of C&C I just thought I'd give you my impressions.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GBO25 View Post
    Hi Mark
    I haven't been around here long enough to know you'd been away but I'll welcome you back as well.

I like the job you've done with the pano; level horizon, no visible joins etc. One thing to my eye though is that the highlights seem to have washed out some detail. Some of the house roofs just look white (maybe they are) but the sky especially looks over exposed to me. Mind you I've never been to where the shots were taken and that may be exactly what it looked like but for the sake of C&C I just thought I'd give you my impressions.
    Thanks Graham,

Ive been drifting in and out of this forum for over 3 years now! my how time flies.... but in my defence i was only absent for 10 weeks this time . Do you know i was wondering why i wasnt quite happy with the photo! your right its over exposed... Now why didnt i just look at the histogram??? DOH!

Ive edited the Tiff panno from PS in LR and here it is.

Now can i ask anyone that does this sort of thing often, What are the implications of making the panno first and then doing exposure & and other global adjustments afterwards or doing them on the individual shots and then merging them?

Real Name
    Andrew

I think the exposure adjustment is an improvement. The thing that keeps jumping out at me, and feels a little unnatural, is the predominance of a pink color. A number of the buildings look pink and the tree in the foreground center has a pink hue to it. Is this natural or a result of the vibrance adjustments? I did calibrate my monitor a couple of weeks ago so I am trusting it's not my monitor.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    I think the exposure adjustment is an improvement. The thing that keeps jumping out at me, and feels a little unnatural, is the predominance of a pink color. A number of the buildings look pink and the tree in the foreground center has a pink hue to it. Is this natural or a result of the vibrance adjustments? I did calibrate my monitor a couple of weeks ago so I am trusting it's not my monitor.
    Hi Andrew.

I hadnt added much vibrance to it, im not overly fond of highly saturated images but i wanted to enhance the autumnal colours. here it is without the vibrance slider applied. the buildings look pink because they are in fact. Pink

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mark The image looks better with your last edit. Reducing the saturation selectively in the ski slope might help , that green color looks a bit too much.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Mark The image looks better with your last edit. Reducing the saturation selectively in the ski slope might help , that green color looks a bit too much.
    Hi Binnur,

Hope that you are well. yes the ski slope does kind of stick out doesnt it? Hi HO Hi HO, its off to photoshop i go!

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks Mark, I'm fine So, you are on a ship again. Is it the same ship and the same captain who didn't let you get off the ship in Turkey? I hope he isn't.

Hi Binnur,

Hope that you are well. yes the ski slope does kind of stick out doesnt it? Hi HO Hi HO, its off to photoshop i go!

Real Name
    Graham

.......Ive edited the Tiff panno from PS in LR and here it is.

Now can i ask anyone that does this sort of thing often, What are the implications of making the panno first and then doing exposure & and other global adjustments afterwards or doing them on the individual shots and then merging them?

Ahhh, looks much better now. I might still be inclined to have a fiddle with that vertical line of slightly lighter cloud over to the left of the ski slope above the other small break in the trees. It sorta stands out a little unnaturally to me.

As long as you have the eye and deft touch to get things like exposure and tone all equal when adjusting the seperate raw images then that'd be the way to go simply because you still have the absolute camera original to deal with but TIFFs don't compress any detail anyway (at least if they're 16bit I think?) so final tweaking to get the overall image just right should be no problem.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Project 52 1st quater (sort of, maybe Mark VK)

Thanks Mark, I'm fine So, you are on a ship again. Is it the same ship and the same captain who didn't let you get off the ship in Turkey? I hope he isn't.
    Hi Binnur, Yes im on the same boat, and to give the captain credit its not entirely his fault! they look after me VERY well and when im at work the guests come first so if we have guests i cant get off. if we dont have guests then we are allowed ashore. I did get to look around Bodrum.... I dont think that showed me the real Turkey though

ive de saturated the ski slope and think it looks better now. I had to learn how to use a selection tool which was cool! magnetic lasso.... it made a layer mask and everything!!

Ahhh, looks much better now. I might still be inclined to have a fiddle with that vertical line of slightly lighter cloud over to the left of the ski slope above the other small break in the trees. It sorta stands out a little unnaturally to me.

Think ive sorted that bit of sky our relatively well did it with clone stamp which ive used before but when i saved bak into LR i found that i needed to reduce the exposure with the brush tool to tone it down some more.
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 4th January 2015 at 07:53 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi again Mark, I'm glad that you are happy and looked after well on your ship I think you brightened the whole image in this version, I actually prefer the brightness in the previous image because the fog on the mountains shows much better and the colors look better too.

BTW, you are right about Bodrum

Real Name
    Mark

Hi again Mark, I'm glad that you are happy and looked after well on your ship I think you brightened the whole image in this version, I actually prefer the brightness in the previous image because the fog on the mountains shows much better and the colors look better too.

BTW, you are right about Bodrum
    oops edited the wrong version! DOH will re post....

Real Name
    Binnur

oops edited the wrong version! DOH will re post....

Real Name
    Shane

Mark, I love your sense of adventure and humor! I will look forward to the results of your travels and the tales that I'm sure you will have to share

Real Name
    Kay

Well done Mark on taking p the project 52 bug, & I really love your revised edit, well done & onwards & upwards!

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Mark, I love your sense of adventure and humor! I will look forward to the results of your travels and the tales that I'm sure you will have to share
    Me too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast