Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 52 - 1st Quarter by Geoff F

Project 52 - 1st Quarter by Geoff F

Decided to try to improve my botanical photography with this challenge. I do regularly shoot flowers etc but too often I'm left thinking 'I could have done better'.

So many potential hazards when photographing under 'real life' conditions in the wild; which is my intention. Getting lighting to look good, and natural, is always tricky. It must work with other limitations such as having a suitable shutter speed/aperture. So some trials will be needed with regard to reflecting and diffusing natural light as well as using flash.

Backgrounds are another problem to be overcome. Too busy or bright spots overwhelming the scene. I try to 'tidy up' the scene before shooting and remove anything which is distracting or reflecting too much light but so often I still miss something obvious.

Subject movement also causes me problems in the wind so I will have to experiment with reducing this issue.

As an example, here is a rather late Red Campion flower from last week. Firstly shot in the shade with too long a shutter speed which has caused a loss of detail and sharpness.

Shooting with flash has helped with the centre detail but, like so many flowers, shooting with flash (or strong sunlight) has produced a harsh texture from many small reflections in the petals.

Some subjects like fungi are suitable for long exposures and stacking of two, or more, images even when shot under natural conditions. For example.

So to start the project challenge

I'm intending to create a weekly record of the plant life (well some of it) from a local wildlife reserve where I regularly photograph insects although I may include some shots taken elsewhere. All photographed 'in the field' not under studio conditions and covering a range of subjects not just pretty flowers.

A general view from a 'lost world' deep within the woods.

A wintry scene with frosted dead leaves.

And some willowherb seedheads which nicely demonstrate the problems with getting suitable backgrounds. Tried several angles but this was the only shot which partially worked.

Last edited by Geoff F; 29th December 2014 at 08:41 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Project 52 - 1st Quarter by Geoff F

Although I like all of them Geoff, I particularly like the last one due to it being quite an unusual image. Well done and cheers an starting your Project 52.

Much like new year's resolutions to exercise daily at the Gym to improve your health, a project like this has potentially difficult but oh so rewarding outcome so I encourage you to make the best of the opportunity! (Wait a second. I may be just trying to encourage myself, and heaven knows, I need the encouragement!)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

All nice one, Geoff...I see you have problems with #1 shot so you decided to spray the flower for the #2 shot to remedy it? They are both good shots though. Congratulations for starting your Project 52. I have to get my butt out there to do something...I like #3 and #4 very much.

Geoff, it's #s 4 & 5 for me.
    #4 is amazing. In lightbox on full enlargement it's absolutely beautiful.
    #5 is likewise very good, wondering if you could pull the mid tones down a bit, or adjust the contrast a bit, to make the frosted leaves pop a bit more.

Real Name
    Christina

What a beautiful set to begin with! It's 3,4 and 5 for me, with #5 being my favourite.

Real Name
    Binnur

I loved the 'lost world'

Real Name
    Janis

Love the fungi, forest and frosted leaves shots, Geoff. I will be looking forward to your thread, and how you handle the swaying-in-the-wind thing, which is also a challenge for me.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done, I like the flash version of the Red Campion. The fungi is very colorful.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Janis, I have developed some special technology for reducing wind movement, which I will demonstrate soon.

Playing around with controlling the backgrounds today; part of which will appear next week.

Real Name
    randy

An inexpensive plamp can be fashioned out of a length of heavy gauge wire with a battery clamp on one end and an alligator clip on the other.

I was about to patent that invention!

My version uses metal garden plant supports which can be flattened at the end to bolt on the clips.

Real Name
    randy

One thing that I love about Macro....It brings out the MacGyver in me. Another involves a Pringles container, Kleenex, and a rubber band.

Real Name
    Diane

I will certainly enjoy following your Project 52 and learning much about photography of our natural world. My favorite of these shots is definitely the frosted leaves! I must say that the 'lost world' is very inviting, too.

Here are the 'blueprints' of my plant supports. They had to be simple, sturdy, cheap and fit into my backpack.

Constructed from plastic coated steel plant supports from a garden centre, but ordinary bamboo could have been used with a little modification. Being hollow allowed me to insert a smaller diameter tube inside so it will extend to 18 ins while still being stable. I think the construction should be obvious. Possibly I will experiment with another modification which uses a short wire side arm instead; so it can be bent.

An alternative using wire. But I have found some difficulty in finding wire which was pliable enough to be easily bent but still rigid. Works reasonably well with a shorter length of wire but there is some movement when used on larger subjects and at 18 ins height; as here.

A suitable camera angle must be found to avoid showing the support. While the stem is supported, petals will still flutter in the wind so a suitably fast shutter speed must be used. Some quick results on a dull windy day, so high speed flash was used (1/400 F11 Iso 400).

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks for the illustration, Geoff. I like how you have incorporated a reflector. I gather the side arm is bolted onto the clip? Meaning you drilled through the metal? Any suggestions that don't require drilling? I don't like to abuse my brother-in-law's good graces unless I have to.

Welding, soldering, riveting. None of which you really want to consider!

But notice how I have lashed the clothes peg with thin string binding which was then glued. Something to consider? I did have a side arm which had a clothes peg at either end but it tended to sag which is why I went over to the stronger spring paper clip.

I did make one alternative which used three of these pegs on a cross bar which clipped to an upright at each end and the central peg supported the stem. Something like a goal post arrangement. Effective, but I have been looking for a simpler and more versatile arrangement.

Here is that alternative arrangement. With some modification, I could return to this idea eventually; after testing the others.

Last edited by Geoff F; 31st December 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Real Name
    Barbara

I love the last 3 in the series and all the interesting contraptions you have been able to come up with. Not only a sharp eye but a crafty hand!

Real Name
    Janis

Yes, that last option looks doable; thanks!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Neat ideas for garden photography Geoff!

Real Name
    Rhonda

Geoff, I'm fascinated by how you made the support disappear in your image of the yellow flower!! I will enjoy following your project. And I may fashion my own brace for the garden after seeing yours! Your initial photos, I loved the one of the fallen tree with the moss - beautiful, and the leaves as well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast