Thread: Bovine portrait

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Bovine portrait

This point of view wouldn't to be to everyone's taste.

Bovine portrait056A0831 by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Bovine portrait

Good depth of field, Tony, you have captured a lot detail in that face. Very confronting when viewed in lytebox.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    This point of view wouldn't to be to everyone's taste.
    But was the model pleased with the result

As already mentioned good detail where it matters.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Great portrait Tony - and I am sure the model was pleased

She's clean, not dribbling and has no garish ear tags to spoil her appearance.

My only suggestion would be perhaps just a little more space on the right hand side of shot?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Nicely done, Tony -- sharp and in-you-face shot. This must be a pet cow...too clean.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the shot, very natural and a bit threatening with such a POV

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Good depth of field, Tony, you have captured a lot detail in that face. Very confronting when viewed in lytebox.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Possibly a fraction tight at the edges, but maybe you didn't have any other option.

Real Name
    Nick

A very good bovine portrait Tony. Many times when I see long-facced animals like this from the front, the nose is not in focus, but here I see an adequate DOF. Beautiful fur detail also! My only issue with it is that the BG is not as likable as it could be, but i guess you were limited in your ability to blur it with a wider DOF.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks for all the comments, on behalf of me and the cow. She appeared very content with the result and was fascinated by the whole process. She is not a pet and does not have a long term future to contemplate, but she and her friends were fairly tame.

I sat down a couple of metres in front of the cow in the hope that curiosity would bring her closer but she just stood there waggling her ears. I was aiming for a really close crop but the ears had to be all in the picture. If I had thought more about the background I probably could have gone for a slightly smaller depth of field.

The occasion was a barbecue cooked in the owner's pizza oven

Bovine portrait

We avoided the mushrooms, which we think are poisonous, growing among the hoop pines

Bovine portrait

Real Name
    Nick

All these are great photos. Even the poisonous mushroom. Mushrooms do not generally deserve the benefit of the doubt as to whether they are poisonous.

My how different Christmas time must be for you. Summer and barbecue! You're not only upside down, you're on the opposite season!

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    All these are great photos. Even the poisonous mushroom. Mushrooms do not generally deserve the benefit of the doubt as to whether they are poisonous.

My how different Christmas time must be for you. Summer and barbecue! You're not only upside down, you're on the opposite season!
    Aw...you are just jealous... Don't forget -- they drive on the wrong side of the road too and the swirl of the water when they flush the tank goes the other way around too.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks Nick but you are making all the blood go to my head with this talk of being upside down. And Izzie, what Nick should be jealous about is that on a bitterly cold winter day here the daytime temperature can get down to 20 degrees C (unlike Melbourne!).

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks Nick but you are making all the blood go to my head with this talk of being upside down. And Izzie, what Nick should be jealous about is that on a bitterly cold winter day here the daytime temperature can get down to 20 degrees C (unlike Melbourne!)
    Now is this your winter or my winter ?

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    Thanks Nick but you are making all the blood go to my head with this talk of being upside down. And Izzie, what Nick should be jealous about is that on a bitterly cold winter day here the daytime temperature can get down to 20 degrees C (unlike Melbourne!).
    20°C = 68°F -- that is cold? That is springtime weather here in Missouri. I was freaking hot the other day when it was 57°F (aka 13.888C your way.) Wait till you visit Nick in Michigan -- you will die of cold. Everyone there has a snowmobile to get from A to B. Some rellies of hubby lives there.

Real Name
    Nick

20°C = 68°F -- that is cold? That is springtime weather here in Missouri. I was freaking hot the other day when it was 57°F (aka 13.888C your way.) Wait till you visit Nick in Michigan -- you will die of cold. Everyone there has a snowmobile to get from A to B. Some rellies of hubby lives there.
    I am not sure about the snowmobile to get from point A to point B Izzie, but lot's of people figure they might as well have one just for fun as they may be usable 5 months/yr.

Pardon my rabbit trailing from the topic of the cow, I still do like it.

Real Name
    Izzie

Tony that was a good big pizza oven! Mine in Oz looks itty bitty compared to that... Love the way you use that transparent border on the mushroom...not too fond of large borders but this is an exception...

Snowmobiles -- better have one than get stuck indoors for quite some time.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

To continue the off-topic conversation, it was our winter that I was referring to. Several decades ago, I spent 6 months in London, Ontario, arriving on New Years Eve after a few days in Fiji to acclimatise. Our young children, brought up in Brisbane, did not understand why they had to put their shoes on to walk from the plane to the terminal when we arrived. When we left in July, the temperature was 95°F and 95% humidity!