Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Storm at Lights Beach

Storm at Lights Beach

lights-beach-storm-2.jpg

Hi, I have only found this site in the last couple of weeks and this is my first attempt at posting a photo!!

Providing it has worked OK (?) I am looking forward to some feedback.

Lights Beach is just outside Denmark on the south coast of Western Australia - have just got back after spending last weekend there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Storm at Lights Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi, I have only found this site in the last couple of weeks and this is my first attempt at posting a photo!!

Providing it has worked OK (?) I am looking forward to some feedback.

Lights Beach is just outside Denmark on the south coast of Western Australia - have just got back after spending last weekend there.
    I like this photo a lot. The beach and the moment it was shot with that rainbow.

However, I would like to see a little more detail and - can I say this ? - a better "treatment".
    I am using LR 2 which I like so much. May be a little sharpness would benefit the photo.

Keep posting. This is a good forum. You will see as time goes on.

Let me tell you: " Welcome to this forum "

yes! this is a good picture which has a little bit of everything to please allit has a little bit of the green mountain, little bit of the seashore,little bit of the lovely rain bow,a little bit of the dark clouds and the a little bit of a clear sky! ...little bit of the ocean and its waves washing ashore and last but not the least" little bit of the mountain reflection,in the seawater,on the seashore lots of interesting natural wonders and natural beauty well caught!

Real Name
    David

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. This is a great shot. It reminds me of some paintings by Turner, and other seascape artists. You don't say what camera was used, what the image file is (JPEG, RAW), or what processing was involved. It may be, given Antonio's comments, that a slight reworking of the image could bring out more drama.

Cheers

David

EDIT PS - Having looked now at the full screen image, is there some posterisation in the sky? That could easily be dealt with to give a smoother look.

David
    Last edited by David; 3rd October 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I like this photo a lot. The beach and the moment it was shot with that rainbow.

However, I would like to see a little more detail and - can I say this ? - a better "treatment".
    I am using LR 2 which I like so much. May be a little sharpness would benefit the photo.

Keep posting. This is a good forum. You will see as time goes on.

Let me tell you: " Welcome to this forum "
    Hi Antonio,

Thank you for your comments - much appreciated - I will try your suggestions. LR2 (?) I am unfamiliar with that - can you elaborate please.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. This is a great shot. It reminds me of some paintings by Turner, and other seascape artists. You don't say what camera was used, what the image file is (JPEG, RAW), or what processing was involved. It may be, given Antonio's comments, that a slight reworking of the image could bring out more drama.

Cheers

David

EDIT PS - Having looked now at the full screen image, is there some posterisation in the sky? That could easily be dealt with to give a smoother look.

David
    Hi David,

Thank you for your feedback. Although I have been interested in photography for many years - it is only since I discovered this forum that I realise how little I know on the 'technical' side of things. I use a Canon 450D with the standard 18-55mm lens, and the image file is JPEG. As far as reworking the photo - basically cropping and contrast. I am learning to use Photoshop Elements 6 - maybe with time I will improve ! I have asked Antonio what he means by LR2.

Cheers, Richard.

Real Name
    David

Richard - The Canon 450D is capable of storing images as RAW format (I think). If you've not already done so you should try this as the RAW format offers some advantages, and JPEGS are easily produced from RAW. You can use the Canon software Digital Photo Professional to look at and edit images.

Cheers

David

LR2 (?) I am unfamiliar with that - can you elaborate please.
    I'm confident that LR2 refers to Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom 2; I recently changed from Photoshop Elements to LR2 and even though there was a threshold for me, I now find it an absolutely must have.

LR2 (?) I am unfamiliar with that - can you elaborate please.
    LR2 = Lightroom 2.0 [at present].
    It's designed for digital photography, is based around a database with keywords, and includes almost all the processing tools that any pic needs.

PS originated many years ago, and while it can do all, it seems to be more suitable for graphic designers/artists than LR.

I find LR much easier and much more intuitive than Photoshop - in LR, the tools do what they say - this hasn't always been the case with PS.

LR won't do the complex editing that PS can - making selections to cut out for example, and you can't do CYMK for printing - but then many people don't need this.

I'd suggest that you start with LR and work through it; you'll find that for the few things that LR can't do, there is a direct go to PS route so you can edit and return directly to LR.

Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by rc53 View Post
    LR2 = Lightroom 2.0 [at present].
    It's designed for digital photography, is based around a database with keywords, and includes almost all the processing tools that any pic needs.

PS originated many years ago, and while it can do all, it seems to be more suitable for graphic designers/artists than LR.

I find LR much easier and much more intuitive than Photoshop - in LR, the tools do what they say - this hasn't always been the case with PS.

LR won't do the complex editing that PS can - making selections to cut out for example, and you can't do CYMK for printing - but then many people don't need this.

I'd suggest that you start with LR and work through it; you'll find that for the few things that LR can't do, there is a direct go to PS route so you can edit and return directly to LR.

Bertie
    Hi Bertie,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out LR2 on the Adobe website - watched a few of the tutorials - went out and ordered a copy - should get it by the weekend. I will hold off on posting any more photo's until I have had an opportunity to try it out.

Cheers,
    Richard.

PS - Hoshisato, thanks for your info also.