Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spring Blossom.

Real Name
    Carol

Spring Blossom.

Spring Blossom.

Re: Spring Blossom.

Carol

Shots such as this one are tricky because you often have a lot of stuff in the background which has the potential to make your shot look too 'busy'. To get around that problem you can do several things...

1. Cut everything else down! You see, I always go for the easy options
    2. Move in closer and just focus on a part of the plant/flower
    3. When you take the shot, try and move around before you take it, and see which is the best backdrop to use - it's surprising how much variety you can get just by moving slightly. You could try using the sky as a backdrop (I did that partly in the shot below) if it's not too bright, but the problem with that is you lose the context of the shot, which you may want. I think with your shot I would have just moved in closer.
    4. Set a wide aperture (say f/4) and get the background more OOF. You seem to have done that here, but the problem is that the background is very similar to the flower. I'm posting this shot of mine (hope you don't mind). The background is very different, and I used a large aperture to get the background blurred. The flowers now stand out very clearly.

Spring Blossom.

Real Name
    Steve

Flowers are not my thing but very nice image; maybe you could use photoshop to select the background and make it a little darker but not too much.

Real Name
    Carol

Thanks Ron and Steve. I don't have photoshop at this time.