Real Name
    Wendy

#83 & 930

#83 & 930

#83 & 930

Real Name
    Rick

Re: #83 & 930

Beautiful, Wendy. I especially like the first. The grain on the post almost seems to echo the grain on the animal's face.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Like Rick, I like, on the first one, the comparison between the hair on the animal and the grain on the timber. On the second one, I notice that your shutter was at 1/20 and you were at f16. I wonder, if to isolate No 930 (if that is what you might have wanted to do), you could have opened up the aperture. Everything behind 930 is not totally sharp. Opening up would have put more blur behind 930. One option!

Like you obviously are, I am in the middle of an agricultural environment. The opportuntities are huge .... if only I had the time to get out and exploit them!
    Last edited by Donald; 19th April 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Beautiful, Wendy. I especially like the first. The grain on the post almost seems to echo the grain on the animal's face.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Thanks Rick, I didn't notice that but you are right. Maybe that is what makes this my favorite too.

Real Name
    Wendy

On the second one, I notice that your shutter was at 1/20 and you were at f16. I wonder, if to isolate No 930 (if that is what you might have wanted to do), you could have opened up the aperture. Everything behind 930 is not totally sharp. Opening up would have put more blur behind 930. One option!
    Well, actually I chose f16 because I wanted them all in focus. There were times when they were all looking at me and I wanted them all sharp. By the time I got this one most of them had gone back to their food, so in this case opening up to isolate 930 would have been much better. It most likely would have been better for all of them, as the slow shutter is probably why most of the "group" shots came out rather blurry. (Then there's that ISO button I have programmed now, but keep forgetting to use )

Like you obviously are, I am in the middle of an agricultural environment. The opportuntities are huge .... if only I had the time to get out and exploit them!
    I wish you had more time too. I like seeing your shots. I hope someday I can do landscapes like you do. Colour or B&W. I have the oportunities, but not the eye (YET )
    I'm finding that shooting in farm country can be kind of depressing at times though if you get too close.

Real Name
    Myra

Wendy, maybe a trick I read for getting a horse's attention will work for the cows: a little gravel filled jar to shake. A seasoning salt sized jar might just be the thing to stick in a pocket. Trying to get all those cows to look at you at once must have been fun

To echo the others, #1 is the keeper.

TC!
    Myra

Real Name
    Nicole ("Nik")

awwweee! i really like #1.
    i'd love to see this with boosted curves. i think you could really bring out some 'wow' with it.
    but s/he (the little calf) is sooo cute!

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Wendy, maybe a trick I read for getting a horse's attention will work for the cows: a little gravel filled jar to shake. A seasoning salt sized jar might just be the thing to stick in a pocket. Trying to get all those cows to look at you at once must have been fun
    To echo the others, #1 is the keeper.
    TC!
    Myra
    Thanks Myra, the jar is a good idea. I have to be careful though. These guys were very curious but very skittish too. Seeing as I just stop on the side of the road and take shots, I don't want to cause any stampedes.
    All of the horses I met on my drive yesterday were very friendly though. Mostly draft horses out in the fields for a day off. There was a big Percheron that I could not get rid of. Whenever I tried to move past him to get some shots of the other horses. he followed along and placed himself between me and the others. A big gentle giant of a horse.
    Thanks for the feedback, how are your arena shots coming along?

Wendy

From Nik:
    awwweee! i really like #1.
    i'd love to see this with boosted curves. i think you could really bring out some 'wow' with it.
    but s/he (the little calf) is sooo cute!
    Thanks Nik: #1 seems to be the pick. Actually these are not calves. They will more than likely not be around too much longer. I was trying to make them look sad not cute. I'll do better next time, but it might be a bit ugly.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like the shots, but unfortunatley they are not having the effect that I wanted. They are kind of cute I guess, but I see sad. I still had a hamburger for supper though.

Wendy