Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A study in contrast

Real Name
    Richard

A study in contrast

At first I didn't see much in this grab shot of a Western tourist walking by a Chinese peanut vendor which I shot at the end of a Li River boat cruise below Guilin, China.

However I have begun to like this shot because of the contrast it offers between the tall, erect Western tourist immaculately dressed in a bright raincoat, dress and heeled shoes and the bent over, tiny Chinese peanut vendor dressed in drab clothing. It is a contrast between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world.

What do you think of the image?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A study in contrast

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    What do you think of the image?
    Depressing. Discomforting, Uneasy. And that's its power. A very powerful documentary image.

Real Name
    Rick

This is a great image: layers upon layers. Donald's right, that it's very evocative. Then there's the fact that the woman in the nice shoes has a puddle in front of her that she apparently plans to step across, rather than going around the vendor, where (it appears) there's a dry path. And the other tourist in the upper right, capturing the same scene. Beautiful.

Cheers,
    Rick

I am too lazy/busy to write anything, but your photo is TOP!
    I live in the third world were this type of thing is common, but your photo did touch me.