Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7DMkII autofocus system

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Canon 7DMkII autofocus system

In relation to nothing terribly important other than just wanting to share a thought:-

Having been pondering on the idea of buying a 7DMkII for some time (now having ordered it - delivery expected next week), I've been spending hours with the User Manual. Canon has also produced a 51 page 'Af-Setting Guidebook' in addition to the User Manual and I've been studying that for days as well. After reading it for about the 10th time, it's actually beginning to make some sense. What you can do with the 65 point, cross-type AF system is quite staggering. I hope I will stretch it to its full capabilites ... and get me out of my 'landscape' comfort zone.

The aim is that by the time the camera arrives I should be pretty well up-to-speed on setting it up and operating it.

One of the interesting things is that although the reviews of the pre-production models as posted on various sites were okay to great (Scott Kelby's was really good and helpful), it was actually studying the Manual and seeing exactly what it does and how that finally persuaded me to make the purchase. I wonder how many people make a purchase decision based on reading the User Manual?
    Last edited by Donald; 30th October 2014 at 05:30 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Canon 7DMkII autofocus system

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    get me out of my 'landscape' comfort zone.
    As if your photo sessions of salmon swimming upstream (a monthly competition winner) and dogs in their agility competitions (another monthly competition winner if I remember correctly) didn't at least momentarily do that...twice.

I wonder how many people make a purchase decision based on reading the User Manual?
    I wouldn't have purchased the Nikon D5100 for my wife if I hadn't been able to confirm a couple capabilities explained in the User Manual.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald
    I wonder how many people make a purchase decision based on reading the User Manual?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I wouldn't have purchased the Nikon D5100 for my wife if I hadn't been able to confirm a couple capabilities explained in the User Manual.
    Ditto with my D7100, I usually refer to manuals (when available) before purchase of expensive, complex items.

That AF system sounds great

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Donald, in the event that you haven't seen this...http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...uidebook.htmlp
    Scroll down to the PDF download.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ditto with my D7100, I usually refer to manuals (when available) before purchase of expensive, complex items.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Donald, in the event that you haven't seen this...http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...uidebook.htmlp
    Yep, that's the one I was referring to, William. When I first read through it, it made no sense whatsoever. But, eventually, the pieces started dropping into place.

The interesting thing is I just happened upon it by chance on the Canon US site. I didn't see it being pushed as a manual on either the Canon Europe or UK sites. Maybe I just missed it, but it certainly wasn't obvious.

Real Name
    John

Donald - I have read the manual several times before I purchase a new camera which I think is a good idea. Unfortunately, it appears that many folks don't even read the manual after they buy the camera. I don't know much about Canon, but I think Nikon manuals are more confusing than they need to be and often leave new photographers confused even after they have read them. This is where this and other forums provide a valuable service.

John

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Donald, I thought after reading this thread that this link may interest you showing the capabilities of your camera on order. Arthur Morris is one of Canon's Explorers of Light, a noted bird photographer worldwide. Canon sent him a beta version to use and write about.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...Mark-II-Images

Real Name
    Terry

Not only do I pre-read the user manual for any camera I might consider, but also for any studio gear (lights, triggers- both for lights and camera, etc.) I might be looking at.

If I didn’t and shelled out a lot of coin on something that wouldn’t do what I needed it to do the way I needed it to do so I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be having fun!

Congratulations on the new shooter Donald. I know you're going to love it.

Real Name
    Dan

Donald,

I can't say I have ever read the manual before buying a camera, but I do read reviews and postings obsessively before taking the plunge.

But for the immediate issue, learning to use the AF system: it took me a while to get the hang of the AF system on the 5D3, which I suspect is somewhat similar, and I am sure I don't know all the bells and whistles yet. I found the manual somewhat opaque--too brief--and the guidebook somewhat better. However, what it really took for me was reading those section by section while playing with the camera.

I'm assuming your new 7DII will have some of the customization options of the 5D3, or maybe more, which makes learning even slower but makes using the camera far better. E.g., you can change which controls you use to move among points or zones. I have mine set so that I just have to tap the joystick. Just about everything is customizable on the new high-end canons, so be prepared to spend a while. What you get in return is a camera that fits your preferences very well.

Dan

Real Name
    Yes

I too like to read the manual as well as reviews before purchase. I also like to leave three months for those glitches which should have been caught in testing to be sorted out (oh and the price drop).
    I also download the manual (as a pdf file) and keep a copy on my small tablet which travels with my camera kit (for use with dslr controller) - so I can look up custom settings etc on camera or flash.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, I found that the Blue Crane advanced video on the 7D is quite good especially on the AF system and its customization.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-C...uctional+video

I don't know if they have a video on the 7D2 yet.

I haven't made use of all the bells and whistles of the 7D AF system yet but, the customization of the 7D2 AF really seems great, Have you done a YouTube search for 7D Mark 2 autofocus? Lots of information available there.

Anyway, good luck with your new camera. I am sure that you will thoroughly enjoy using it.

BTW: The one thing I find just a bit lacking is the "wireless flash" control of the 7D when used outdoors. The pop-up flash trigger is not foolproof and its efficiency depends on angle and strength of the sun, distance between pop-up flash and slave as well as the angle between the pop-up and the slave.

When I am using a Stroboframe camera flip bracket indoors, the pop-up flash is very efficient in triggering the mounted hotshoe flash. However, when I am shooting outdoors with the camera and flash on a Stroboframe camera-flip bracket, the pop-up flash is not totally efficient in triggering the hotshoe flash.

That is easily remedied by triggering the flash with a Canon Off Camera Sync Cord. I actually have an off camera flash cord which was distributed by Calumet Photo when that company was still in business and like that one better than my Canon OEM Mark 1 camera sync cord since the contacts of the Calumet cord are weather proofed.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st October 2014 at 01:55 AM.

Real Name
    Ken

Nice to know that some people read the manual other than in a last resort when things go wrong.

Real Name
    Ron Lane

Donald, have you received your 7DmkII yet? I'm very interested in all the reviews and examples that are coming and will be coming in soon.

About 3 weeks ago, I was trying to shoot American High School football with a T3i and decided that I needed to upgrade to something better. I really don't feel ready to upgrade to the 7DmkII so I traded up to a used 7D for minimal costs.

My plan is to keep shooting sports and keep an eye on the 7DmkII and probably get one about July-August of next year before Football season starts again.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ronlane View Post
    Donald, have you received your 7DmkII yet?
    I haven't. And I'm disappointed. I'd hoped it would arrive this week ... particularly since the retailer has put the charge through on my credit card.

Real Name
    Richard

Ron, what lens or lenses were you using in your attempt to shoot American High School Football? It seems that many (if not most) photographers using the Rebel Class cameras use the 55-250mm kit lens as their telephoto. The kit lens cannot really hack shooting HS Football (which for the information of folks not familiar with the sport; is generally played at night - often under less than optimum lighting conditions).

I own a 400mm f/5.6L and a 300mm f/4L which I bought from a professional photographer who considered these lenses too slow for HS Football. He had a lucrative contract in Texas (HS Football is a state religion there). He opted for a pair of 1D (I don't know exactly which model) cameras along with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and a 400mm f/2.8L lenses

What I am getting at is that, unless you have a lens or lenses of the 70-200mm f/2.8L class, you might be better off upgrading glass first and upgrading your body only after you have adequate glass. OTOH: the 400mm f/2.8L is a great lens but, is priced out of reason for anyone who is not independently wealthy or who is making money from his shooting...

It is not just the extra light of the f/2.8 aperture that would help you, the focusing capability of the 70-200mm f/2.8L (series) lenses in relatively low light levels are what you might need.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th November 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wonder how many people even read the manual - no - change that to read, "I wonder how many people know where the manual is or what it looks like?".

OK, maybe that was a bit harsh, but some of the questions on various forums suggest that not everyone reads the manual. I keep my manuals (two bodies) in my camera bag, and will admit to having read them while out in the field (poor memory that's getting worse).

There is a well known bird photographer that lives in the same city I do (I've never met him), and he has published some quite comprehensive information online:

http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon7Dm...dSettings.html

Perhaps it will be of some use (I've bookmarked it for when I likely get the 7DII myself sometime in the near future).

Glenn