Real Name
    Jim

Fall Window

Critique welcome.

Fall Window

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Fall Window

I understand the impulse, Jim, as I have taken a few of these kinds of shots myself (though not with any great success). This is not working for me, I'm afraid, because the focus appears to be on the frame rather than the scene that is framed, and my eye is wanting the black border on the right to be balanced by a border on the left. The scene also appears to have a bluish cast, so it is feeling rather cold for a fall scene.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Jim - I think Janis has brought up many of the same points that I would have.

You essentially have two pictures in one that are competing with each other, and neither seems to come out on top. As Janis has put it so well, the dark frame draws our eyes away from the fall scene.

One thing you might want to consider trying (and there are a number of different ways to achieve this; none are trivial though) is to shoot so that the frame shows shadow detail and isn't just a dark area that has swallowed up the light, while still having a properly exposed exterior shot.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Jim. I agree with above comments. It looks like a very nice place with lovely colors, it is worth going and shooting again

Real Name
    Jim

Thank you all for the feedback and I understand what you are saying.

Again, appreciated.