Thread: Printer recommendations

Real Name
    Dave

Printer recommendations

Hi folks,

For once, this is not a request for help with a high end printer. I decided some time ago that I would use a commercial printer (Loxley, at the moment) for anything bigger than A4 and probably anything that I intended to hang or needed best quality.

For the rest, I have a consumer grade Canon Pixma, a few years old, which is mostly used for paper document printing, but which I also use for some photo printing. I've been mostly happy with the photo printing, but over the past few months I just can't get it right. I have a calibrated monitor, custom profiles from Permajet, soft proof in Lightroom and it it's really trial and error to get something roughly right. I've checked all the settings multiple times and have decided it's time to get a new printer.

So I need an A4 printer, mostly for paper documents which will also produce decent quality photo prints. It should have two paper sources, both of which can be used for ordinary paper if needed. I don't mind having to change paper when I want to print photos, but I don't want to be changing ink tanks. Six colours would also be nice.

For the rest: All-in-1 would save some disk space, but not critical because I have a big desk . Everything seems to be WiFi networkable these days, which would be nice. Not interested in being able to print from a memory card. Not too worried about budget (!) because in general these are not expensive machines.

You'd think all this would be easy to glean from reviews, web sites and so on, but I can't seem to track it down.

Any suggestions or ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave

Real Name
    John

Re: Printer recommendations

I would love to move up to a single color cartridge printer, but after my last printer died I purchased a refurbished model which could use the same cartridges as I had a couple hundred dollars worth of ink. When I was looking for a large format printer I would contact the manufacturer and request samples, granted the image choices didn't really meet my needs (looking for skin tones and the samples were mostly landscapes), but if you've got time that might be a way to start. Also, if you have an outlet nearby take an example of one of those images you are having trouble printing, see if you can do a test print at the store.

Real Name
    Richard

Do you use Canon OEM ink? Other brands of ink or refilled cartridges don't do too well...

I presently use a Pixma Pro 9000 Mkii and love it.

I had a chance recently to "upgrade" to a Canon Pixma Pro-100 for $148 U.S. Dopllars with free shipping from Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/ICAPRO100.htm...FcI7Mgod3FgApw

However, I am quite happy with my 9000 Mkii.

One thing that I really like about Canon Inkjet printers is that the nozzles do not clog up with lack of use. I always had this problem using the Epson 1880 printer I previously owned.

BTW: I purchased an inexpensive Brother B&W laser printer that provides me with very inexpensive letter type documents. I purchase a third party toner for this printer and buy my paper in bulk. My documents cost less than .01 U.S. Dollars each counting both paper and toner...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st October 2014 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I completely agree with Richard.

The first choice is whether you need the archival qualities of pigment printers. If not, you can get really superb results from printers that use dye-based inks. I have a Pixma Pro 9000II that I have been using for a few years, and a Canon multifunction that I have been using for probably 5 or 6 years. Even though both go unused for long periods of time, I have never had a single clog. Like Richard, I got hte replacement Pro 100--mine was free, bundled with my new camera last year--but I haven't gotten around to setting it up and have just continued with the 9000.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

A latest model Pixma 3-in-1 will fulfill all yer requirements. Canon 3-in-1s are way ahead of any other domestic printers. My Pixma mp640 is a few years old now, still performs faultlessly. Has 2 paper sources (only up tae A4), 5 inks (2 black) and produces excellent photo prints, as well as all the other functions. Ah was even impressed by the CD print quality. Think they're Pixma MX series now

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Do you use Canon OEM ink? Other brands of ink or refilled cartridges don't do too well...
    +1 to that. Wife killed our Epson with off-brand cartridges after almost 10 years of continuous service (the printer, that is). Then I killed it's replacement - a 6 cartridge semi-pro Epson (200?) - through lack of use. Even my two-cartridge Lexmark printer/copier/fax/scanner is acting up only a few weeks after buying up many cartridges to last forever.

Printers? I hate them

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks guys. I don't think anyone is giving away Pro 100's this side of the pond.

I have only used oem inks since I have had the printer.

And thanks Boab (have I pronounced that right?) I'll investigate the 3-in-1's

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Thanks guys. I don't think anyone is giving away Pro 100's this side of the pond.

I have only used oem inks since I have had the printer.

And thanks Boab (have I pronounced that right?) I'll investigate the 3-in-1's

Dave
    I can't claim much expertise, but I have a Canon all-in-one also, an old MP970. It does make good prints. However, one advantage of the dedicated printers is that most paper vendors produce ICC profiles for them, which isn't (or at least wasn't in the past) true of the all-in-ones. When I got my 9000II a few years ago, I bought sampler packs from two paper companies, Red River and Moab, installed the profiles, and had a great time comparing results from one paper to another. Even though I still sometimes use Canon paper (I got 100 sheets of 13 x 19 bundled with my camera and printer), my defaults are now several Re River and Moab papers.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, Dan

I am using Permajet papers for the most part, and they will provide a custom profile if you print their profiling image on one of their papers.

If you are just using a general purpose printer, with a reasonable amount of throughput and aren't looking for the very finest quality, then Laser Printers are certainly worth considering in the long term and should prove to be the most economic.

My Epson 1900 recently stopped. Nothing wrong with it but there must be some sort of counting chip in its software so I got a message saying that it needed servicing.

After a bit of thought, I decided I might as well upgrade to the Epson 2000 instead. Thinking that by the time I boxed up the old printer and sent it off to where ever the service centre was, then paid for a recondition plus return carriage, I would be well down the new printer route.

The new 2000 arrived this week and it is rather similar, but the control buttons are harder to use. More to the point, the 1900 had two USB ports so I could simply plug in two computers with cables; nice and easy.

The 2000 only has one USB but has a wireless option which has completely scrambled my ageing brain! So I gave up on that. The one USB works fine and was very simple to set up. At the moment, I'm transferring anything from the unconnected computer to the other one using a memory stick, and printing from that one.

I see there is a LAN port so that might be another option to try, but at the moment I don't have any cables which fit. No cables were supplied; which is a bit stingy considering the purchase price.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Geoff,

I recommend taking a few minutes to configure your printer wirelessly. The printer should walk you through the steps. It is really quite easy. I have set up my last two Epson Artisans wirelessly and I only use my usb line for scanning. If you have any questions, I am sure Epson service will give you a hand and you can always ask specific questions here. Go for it!

I got as far as looking for a wireless address, then my brain overheated!

A friend who is more knowledgeable on these matters is going to have a look at it soon. He did manage to set up a wireless modem for me recently; but took him two hours and several attempts! And it interferes with a cableless phone signal.

So I've asked him to bring a cable with LAN plug as well; that might be the eventual solution.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Your wireless address is listed on the bottom of your router--like a serial number. That should be all you need to make your wireless connection.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I got as far as looking for a wireless address, then my brain overheated!

A friend who is more knowledgeable on these matters is going to have a look at it soon. He did manage to set up a wireless modem for me recently; but took him two hours and several attempts! And it interferes with a cableless phone signal.

So I've asked him to bring a cable with LAN plug as well; that might be the eventual solution.
    Two hours is normal time required, nothing works flawlessly especially when computer/Internet/software involved.

Well, I've had another go at setting up the second computer wirelessly. Got as far as when it said connect with a USB cable and that worked fine, but only when connected with a cable. And that means I can't connect my main computer USB cable. I did try simply switching the plugs around to suit each computer but totally lost all printer connections then!

Gave up on the second computer and removed the software. Still couldn't get the main computer to print. Eventually removed and reinstalled the software. No connection until I connected the cable to a different USB port.

Now my main computer will print and the second one is totally disconnected - and it will stay that way. I've had enough.

It seems like the new design printer will operate with one computer on a cable; or wirelessly (if you can do the set up) but you can't have a mix of wired and wireless connections.

The main computer isn't set up for wireless operation; and it is staying that way. I had enough trouble setting up this internet computer with a wireless modem. And that was just because I foolishly upgraded from XP to 7, which in my opinion is a worse system anyway, and my old wired modem wouldn't operate anymore.

The main computer, which never connects to the internet can stay with XP.

Real Name
    Dave

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, Geoff.

Having started the thread, I have just ordered a Canon All-in-1, their Mg7550 which is their top of line for consumer printers. Even then it's not exactly expensive, as we know it's the ink that really costs and all their range use the same inks. If anyone is interested I can let you know what I think when I've got the profiles and so on sorted.

Dave

It is always handy to have personal experience reports of any equipment, Dave.

I'm even thinking about getting a cheap printer which will use third party ink for this internet only computer, where I download and print out various useful articles etc but nothing requiring high quality.

Real Name
    Yes

All depends how many prints yopu want to make and how quick a printer you need. The Canons are great, I have a 9500 and a 9000 II. However they do flush the head every time you turn them on so not so good as a general printer.
    The printer I use most is a Brother with an A3 scanner and A3 print capability, two paper trays, 4 ink dye in printer. Designed to be on all the time, with wireless connection. It produces quick "standard" prints, but is somewhat slow for photo quality - and slower still for photo monochrome. However it doesn't waste a lot of ink cleaning the heads, and the ink is not that expensive compared to many. In fact I use cheaper bulk dye inks (100ml each ink plus four refillable cartridges cost £55) but I also invested in the kit to enable me to profile the printer - so the photo prints I get are quite good. Not as good as the Canon, but 100ml ink costs me £5, canon cartridge of 14ml cost £10.

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    Geoff,

I recommend taking a few minutes to configure your printer wirelessly. The printer should walk you through the steps. It is really quite easy. I have set up my last two Epson Artisans wirelessly and I only use my usb line for scanning. If you have any questions, I am sure Epson service will give you a hand and you can always ask specific questions here. Go for it!

I've heard of only good things about the Epson Artisan 1400 and now the replacement Epson Artisan 1430. I was wondering if either of yours were these models and if so, what is your opinion of them? Thanks!

I haven't read anything about those models. But I started out by searching for an A3 update printer; so are those A4 size?

A couple of printers ago, I had an A3 Canon which printed OK but it stopped working in what I thought was too short a time; so I then went back to Epson with the R1900 which did a good job.

I have now done a bit of research for getting a cheap A4 printer just for this internet computer and was seriously considering the Canon Pixma IP2850.

But after some more reading and experimenting I finally appear to have managed to get both my computers linked to my new Epson R2000 by running one on a USB cable and the other one on a LAN cable.

Gave up on full wireless settings!

Dave's comments on his new printer are here:

Initial impressions of Canon All-in-1