Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champagne

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Champagne

What was I thinking? I was actually thinking that it would be fun to photograph this bottle of champagne, which presents all sorts of issues: embossed gold foil, a circular chrome handle, a chrome band, a chrome label and two swirling textures of transparent glass. Naturally, all of those materials are curved which is yet another issue to address.

It was the most challenging photo I've made in my makeshift studio. I used only two light sources -- a main lamp and a background lamp-- and handheld a reflector in various positions to make 8 shots that were combined into one. After all that, I still didn't get everything right and had to make some repairs during post-processing.

My wife and I will donate the champagne to a charity auction along with a print of the photo. We actually don't appreciate champagne. I bought the bottle because it might be the most beautiful presentation of wine that I've seen and I wanted to photograph it. Hopefully my photo does it justice.

Please click to view at the largest size to display the details.

Champagne
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th October 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Champagne

Mike is that actually champagne; i.e. i.e. a product of the region, orf somwhere else using gthe champagne name? I've never seen a bottle of champagne like that. Mind you, I haven't seen much as, like you, I'm not a big fan ... and can't afford the really big name stuff!

Considering the international legal battles that have always been decided in favor of winemakers in Champagne, it has been quite awhile since I have heard of anyone using a champagne label for wine that wasn't made in the Champagne region of France.

This wine is made by Maison Chanoine which has been making champagne in Reims since 1730. The name, "Tzarina," and the swirling styling of the bottle pay homage to 19th century tsarist Russia, one of the largest champagne markets at the time, including the onion domes of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow.

Like you, I've never seen any branding like this but the winery is still named Tsarine. The website indicates that all of their champagne is displayed in swirling bottles though this is the only one that is transparent rather than translucent green. Interesting, huh!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Amazing. I shared the same thinking as you when I saw 'Champagne', but felt it was such an unusual bottle and something so 'different' for the normally conservative champenois, that there might still be someone out there not from champagne using the name. Maison Chanoine are obviously aiming at a particular section of the market.

And as to the picture ...........

I think your lighting efforts have been very well worth it. At first I wondered about the lit area of the background and whether it was in competition with the bottle. But viewing it at full size in the lighbox, I no longer feel that is the case.

Very well made image.

Real Name
    Andrew

An amazing presentation of a very interesting subject! Plus I learned a few things about the wine industry.

Thanks, Donald and Andrew!

I too was sensitive to the background light being complementary rather than a distraction. I placed diffusion material over the lamp, not to diffuse the light but to reduce the brightness by about one stop.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like everything in the image Mike The light, the shape of the bottle, the texture and color of the BG, the black cloth are all look very nice.

I'm especially glad that you like the texture in the background, Binnur. It's the underside of a door mat that was looking to fulfill a higher purpose in life.

Real Name
    Binnur

Lucky door mat

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm especially glad that you like the texture in the background, Binnur. It's the underside of a door mat that was looking to fulfill a higher purpose in life.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Greg

The bottle is certainly more interesting than the stuff inside it.

I can see how this would be a challenging subject, Mike, and I think you have done well. I'm not sure about the highlights on the cloth on the left. Maybe a fraction too bright?

Thank you to Greg and John. I'll give some thought, Greg, to your consideration about the highlights in the fabric.

I conceived the image to be in color so I'm surprised that I also like it in black-and-white. Even so, I won't be surprised if the color concept proves to be so ingrained in my mind that it would be impossible for me to like the monochrome as much or better.

Champagne
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 21st October 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Well done... Equally effective in color or black and white!

Real Name
    David

Wonderful image Mike, I just prefer the colour version over the B/W, but I'm sure whoever wins the raffle would be happy with either one!

Cheers David

Real Name
    Binnur

Great image in B&W too. I would prefer the colour though if I had to choose

Real Name
    Dan

I guess l'm not as picky as you, Mike. Both versions look awesome to me. Nice job.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Amazing. And as to the picture ...........

Very well made image.
    Both of them. Like Dan, I don't have a preference. Mike do you rely purely on lighting? I have seen instances where photographers have for instance, used strategically placed strips of white paper to produce the reflected highlights that they have in mind.

Real Name
    vaez

The bottle is certainly interesting all of them is very nice

Thank you, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Mike do you rely purely on lighting? I have seen instances where photographers have for instance, used strategically placed strips of white paper to produce the reflected highlights that they have in mind.
    Using reflectors is an especially easy way to add light to part or all of a subject and I do that regularly. As an example, I positioned a white reflector beneath the chrome bottle label to redirect light onto it. Without that reflector or some other light source, the entire label, not just its text, would have been black. Using a handheld reflector was easier than using a direct light source because of the limited space and, thus, the limited number of light stands in my makeshift studio. Indeed, all of the 8 shots that I made involved using the reflector placed in different positions until all of the curved, reflective surfaces were properly lit once the 8 captures were combined into one final image.

Real Name
    Matt

Wow, both stunning shots... but #1 just edges it for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast