Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NEC Monitors

NEC Monitors

Hey folks,

I have been thinking about getting a larger monitor for my photography needs. I believe (after reading a lot of threads on here and elsewhere) that I want to go in for the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2-BK. I like that this monitor has the 12-bit LUT, which I understand can improve the display results for the grey tones (or is it gray??).

Now here's what's tearing me apart. I love the 30" MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK as well, obviously for the larger real estate. However, I am unable to get myself to justify paying an extra $1000 for the larger monitor.

Question I have for you folks here is: Do you believe that the slight increase in real estate on the monitor is worth the extra price tag?? I will be very grateful if you can share your thoughts/opinions/suggestions.

Cheers!
    Sai

Real Name
    Rob

Re: NEC Monitors

If it was me, I would get two small monitors and run duel monitors, keep your tools on one monitor and your photo on the main.

Rob,

Thanks for your suggestion! That's a very good idea and one that I will have to give more thought to. I am unsure if I can fit in two monitors in my work space. Perhaps I'll have to just save up and invest the $$$ in the second monitor at a later date when I have a larger work space.

Thanks again for your input!
    Sai

Real Name
    Rob

You can get a wall mount. What monitor are you using right now? Your tools monitor does not need to be the best..

Right now I'm just using a laptop with a calibrated screen for my work. I've been saving up for a monitor and intend to buy one soon. And yes, I'm with you on your comment that the monitor for the tools doesn't have to be top of the line.

Thanks for the wall mount idea!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sai C View Post
    Do you believe that the slight increase in real estate on the monitor is worth the extra price tag??
    For what it's worth, I regularly print images up to 44" wide (and some up to 88" wide) ... and a 24" monitor has been fine for me, although I do also use a 17" monitor for everything apart from the image.

I'm not familiar with the NEC but a BIG plus with any monitor is the ability to pivot it into a vertical orientation for processing vertical shots.

Thank you Colin! Good thought there about the monitor having the ability to be pivoted vertically...

Wow, 44" wide and 88" wide...lordy!!! Do you have that done by a lab or do you do it yourself? Just curious

Cheers!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sai C View Post
    Thank you Colin! Good thought there about the monitor having the ability to be pivoted vertically...
    You're very welcome

Wow, 44" wide and 88" wide...lordy!!! Do you have that done by a lab or do you do it yourself? Just curious
    I do all my own printing - almost exclusively onto canvas. The canvas roll is 24" wide and a 1" strip is needed down each side for gripping and stapling so most of my images have 22" as one of the dimensions so that no canvas is wasted. 22 x 11 is the smallest I ever do - then 22 x 15 - then 22 x 22 - then 22 x 33 - then 22 x 44 - then (less common) 22 x 66 & 22 x 88

22 x 44 is my most common landscape size. In all honesty, seeing your work that big is something you just get used to - quite routine for me.