Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Grand Central

Real Name
    David

Grand Central

A chance snap, followed by cropping, noise reduction, contrast enhancement and conversion to B/W. Comments please?
    Grand Central]

David
    Last edited by David; 28th September 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Grand Central

Another interesting and detailed image, well done.

It is difficult to suggest any improvement, you've been skillful not to overdo any of the processing.

I might have tried a transform (or Shift-N) to correct the converging verticals.
    However, I know from experience that sometimes this can compromise framing unacceptably and need to be undone, so perhaps you've already been there (and back!).

Keep posting, thanks, Dave

Well First I hated This.............

Second Viewing, I liked it......Good Job.....

From the clock it appeared to be morning.....this suggested a light toning.....a little recovery of shadow details and some smudging to even out a couple of places.......Just for your consideration.....

Grand Central

I also made a B&W, from this, without toning more like your picture, which has a nice impact....
    Last edited by willgoss; 28th September 2008 at 07:05 PM.

this pic is a very comfortable looking pic indeed! one can spend a lot of time gazing at all those wonderful ppl here i like the pure black and white effect only the other one is ruining it totally
    the rays landing on those ppl is a way over exposed! those ppl need to show some detail the empty floor in front of the crowd, should be cropped as its taking the viewers eye out off the frame very interesting pic and faces all around

Real Name
    David

Hi Willgloss - thanks for the comments. I, too, tried toning the image away from pure B/W, but I did not get anything I thought better. At the end of the day, it's all about personal taste, but I shall remember to test different tones on other B/W images. Thanks again.

David

Real Name
    Ian

Grand Central is an impressive place to photograph and whilst I didn't have any hassle, other photographers have been 'moved on' whilst trying to get a shot.

The stream of light is impressive, suggesting a Cathedral or similar and in many respects this is a cathedral to a past era of railway expansion and building.

The person in the front left foreground intrigues me with the light strongly on their face, despite the main light streaming in from the rear. However, this could be a trick of the light with the way the windows are arranged in Grand Central?
    Last edited by shreds; 30th September 2008 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    David

Thanks for the comments Shreds; I agree with the cathedral analogy. The point about the person front left is a good one - it hadn't struck me before. There appears to be back shadows from this figure and another which suggests a light source immediately in front. There are windows in the front facade but I would not have thought enough light was coming through them. Well, a good excuse to go back and look!!

David

Real Name
    Ali

Well done, David.

Is anybody else bothered by the overexposed area near the kiosk? I think it is too much, specially where the light hits the ground.

Sedali

Real Name
    Ian

I am trying to recall what might be to the left of the picture in the way of booths or something else that could be reflecting back the light onto the characters face. I was last there in January but like you say, need to go and take another look.

Real Name
    David

Hi Sedali - I take your comment, but I think that this is one thing that helps make the image work. Others may, of course, disagree. For me, the morning light from the main windows steams in and very brightly illuminates a key point in the frame of the photo (something to do with the Golden Mean). The "whiteout" emphasises the dark, almost forbidding nature of the other areas.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Grand Central is an impressive place to photograph and whilst I didn't have any hassle, other photographers have been 'moved on' whilst trying to get a shot.

The stream of light is impressive, suggesting a Cathedral or similar and in many respects this is a cathedral to a past era of railway expansion and building.

The person in the front left foreground intrigues me with the light strongly on their face, despite the main light streaming in from the rear. However, this could be a trick of the light with the way the windows are arranged in Grand Central?
    Hello David.
    I have been to Grand Central once in my life. I came in from the trains and was impressed by the light. That was some years ago. May be 6 I don't know, as time flys quickly.
    I like best the B&W and I don't care if it has burned areas are too dark ones.
    It is very nice. It looks indeed like a cathedral.
    I also have seen more pictures of this central but your is very good.

Thanks for letting us see it