Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What lens(s) do you carry

Real Name
    Pops

What lens(s) do you carry

When you are just going out to do other than a specific photo jaunt, what lenses do you prefer for getting that unplanned "AH-HAH?"

Each of my camera bags has a 28mm or 50mm prime and a medium zoom, except the D40 bag, which has the 18-55 and the 55-200 in it. I will switch lenses around when going out looking for specific types of shots, but the usual carry in the vehicle is just the prime and the medium zoom.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: What lens(s) do you carry

Most of my lenses (and the camera) fit in 2 bags - so I normally just sling both of those over my shoulder when I go out "walk-abouts".

Real Name
    John

18-55 and the 70-300 for Nikon D60. For additional backup I take my P90 and of course my trusty S220 compact digital.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Just the D5000 and 18-200mm

I don't have anything longer than that (for now) and everything else is within that range anyway, so unless I need fast prime (but manual focus and no metering), or macro (and manual focus and no metering), I take the easy route and go with fully auto

I suppose the Blackberry's camera could be viewed as a back up, but since I have a spare battery, I don't take a second camera walkabout.

I wouldn't say that I ever go out with a non specific lens. More a case of attempting to predict the most likely scenario.

But everything must fit into a Lowenpro Mini Trekker bag, or smaller; and that includes 40D camera with lenses plus tripod strapped outside.

For general use, I take a Canon 24-105; for long range wildlife, a Sigma 150-500; for macro wildlife, a Sigma 180 macro lens. Perm any 2 from the 3 depending on the time of year and expected weather conditions.

In my vehicle, I usually have my old 10D with a Canon 28-135 plus a Canon 70-300. But I may substitute one of those lenses if required; particularly the 70-300 for a walkaround mid length zoom.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I mount up the lens that I know I want to use for the shot I'm after. But, given my modest collection, they all fit in the one bag and come with me on every occassion, just in case something else appears unplanned.

See -
    What lens(s) do you carry

It is very interesting to read what you guys carry around. I hate carrying camera gear so I strive to keep things to an absolute minimum. So its the 40D, no grip, no neck strap (just a wrist strap) and the 28-200. My aim is a 70-200 'L' and a decent WA prime (so it can be stuffed in my pocket). The problem is I have the type of head that rebels against the tech stuff when I want to concentrate on creativity

Ideally I would love to own the Olympus Pen E-P2 with Zuiko 9-18 and a Zuiko 14-150 but that is 'as well as' rather than 'instead of' so it will have to go on the wish list

Steve

Real Name
    Chris

My D80 came with 18-135 kit lens, which is incredibly good quality and quite small, fitting into 'bits' pocket of Lowepro TLZ2 holster bag. If going to birdless places eg recent trip up Langdales area in snow & ice, thats it and no worries about losing expensive stuff down holes or mountainsides or digging steps in ice with it.

I knew I needed a long lens and opted for the ancient 80-400VR, which is normally on the camera which still fits in main compartment of TLZ2. It is dead slow, but lighter and smaller than most top-quality more modern equivalents, not to mention a bit cheaper. I get most birds eventually.

Real Name
    Steve

I just grab my bag and tripod and go. I always have a 300 and 2 teleconverters---35---70-300zoom---10-20zoom. I'm good from 10mm to 840mm

Real Name
    Ali

Very interesting thread, Pops!

I alternate between 70-200mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm. Very rarely I take both of them. If I plan, I put everything I have in a bag and carry that with me

Real Name
    Rob

I have a 50mm and a 28-135mm, and some M42 glass with adaptor. (The M42 lenses are not the most sharp.)

I mostly walk around with the 18-70mm that came with my D200. If i'm going on a field trip, then all my lenses go on the trip, which are the 12-24mm f/4.0, 18-70mm, 70-300mm VR and a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 for macro. And I also carry my beloved Canon SD870 P&S with me when just walking around.

Nice thread!

I always take my backpack/camera bag wherever I take the camera. However, if I dont have a particular subject in mind, I leave the 16-80mm zoom on my A350. In the bag, I have a 55-200mm zoom, 50mm macro, and a 500mm reflex. The tripod and monopod are usually kept in the back of the car.

Real Name
    Pops

500mm reflex?!!! You just made me drool all over my keyboard.

Pops

Real Name
    Peter

If I'm on foot Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Canon 17-40 F4L and Canon 24mm TSE plus Zero Image 2000 and tripod. But if I have the car then I'll also take the Fuji GX680II and 65mm, 150mm and 300mm lenses plus sturdy tripod and Canon 70-200 IS F4L.

Real Name
    Richard

For general and travel photography, I will carry a pair of 1.5x Canon DSLR cameras (30D and 40D) with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses mounted. This combination is the best I have ever used in my 50 years of photography. Not only do I have a wide focal range (approximately 28mm to 300mm equivalent) but I have excellent IQ and very fast and accurate focus. Additionally, the constant f/2.8 aperture and IS assistance of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens makes this into a very viable low light glass while the IS assistance of the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens allows me to shoot hand-held in fairly low light levels.

I will normally carry these cameras on an OPTECH Dual Harness ( http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=87 ) except where the cameras need additional security. In these venues, such as the crowded areas of China which I recently visited, I will use an OPTECH Reporter Strap ( http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=24 ) and have one camera on the strap with the second camera in a holster case. Since the attachment straps for the Dual Harness work with the Reporter Strap, I can switch cameras easily from the one in the holster to the one around my neck. If I am in a less congested area, I can attach both cameras to the Reporter Strap.

Pops,
    I do enjoy that lens even if I dont find as many applications for it as other lenses. Its surprisingly compact. I find I can get decent photos handheld with it if I keep the shutterspeed over 1/1000. When I first sheepishly presented my Sony A350 to my wife, she tried it out with the 55-200mm zoom and promptly announced that I "didnt have enough zoom." We went out and immediately purchased the 500mm lens. Who am I to argue?

Real Name
    Pops

Wise thought, young man. One never argues (successfully) with SWMBO.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    ~ When I first sheepishly presented my Sony A350 to my wife, she tried it out with the 55-200mm zoom and promptly announced that I "didnt have enough zoom." We went out and immediately purchased the 500mm lens. Who am I to argue?
    Excellent idea John, thanks, I must try this.

Real Name
    Steve

This one 28mm f2.8; look at the odd behaviour and as my camera has nyquist 1335 LW/PH it is sharpest wide open
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/15...review?start=1

and this one 50mm f1.8 which is sharpest about f6.3 and hasn't CA cor;
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._c16/page3.asp

and this cheap thing for fun 80-200mm f4.5-f5.6 which is only decent at 135mm can't find those MTF's though.
    http://www.riddle.ru/?page=articles/lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast