Thread: Animal Tracks

Real Name
    Nick

Animal Tracks

Keeping an eye on the ground sometimes reveals rather interesting things while walking through the woods, such as what kind of animals have been here, and sometimes, a little about what they were doing. (Especially if you knew what you were looking at better than I do!) Photographing animal tracks doesn't take a whole lot of skill, you would think, but looking back at these I think actually I will try a little harder next time!

I haven't been posting many photos because I'm working on getting my computer photo editing station set up, and have been waiting to do much PP till then, but these generally don't need much but sometimes a WB adjustment.

Here's one of my favorite tracks #1 Black bear. Sandy trails/roads show prints pretty well usually
    Animal Tracks

#2 This i figure to be an Eastern Chipmunk. The two feet in front are the back feet and the two in the rear are the front, because rodents are gallop-walkers. Receded road puddles show tracks excellently.
    Animal Tracks

I am not certain, but considering the pattern as well as tracks, this might be a porcupine. Getting very close might seem natural when shooting tracks, but you should capture the track pattern as well as the track.
    Animal Tracks

These fawn prints were about the size of my thumb! An object such as a pine cone, pencil, or boot print gives perspective on size. Animal Tracks

I figure this deer was running, as the toes are splayed and the dew claws touched ground.Animal Tracks

Naturally, the animals use the roads for walking too! They also cross them a lot.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Animal Tracks

Now these are interesting, Nick...My favourite pastime too during winter is looking for animal prints in the backyard. They are more pronounced at that time of the year...funny but we have a little Corgi that you will not be able to determine what sort went passed certain areas because he is too short to generate any footprint -- what he does have is a long line on the snow if it is more than 12 inches because he pushes his nose along the way on it on his way to wherever he wanted to go to do his duties . I was quite perplexed for a while until I watched him get out of the house and did his long line of path...

Anyway, a black bear footprints will be scary in this part of the city for me...

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks Izzie,
    that would confuse matters to have a doggy running about, I would think. Yes, in the winter sometimes animals leave plow lines instead of tracks. It's nice when most of the snow is crusty and then very fine prints are left in the dusting on the top.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    Thanks Izzie,
    that would confuse matters to have a doggy running about, I would think. Yes, in the winter sometimes animals leave plow lines instead of tracks. It's nice when most of the snow is crusty and then very fine prints are left in the dusting on the top.
    Yes...I have lots of snow tracks shots but though just a hint in the snow is OK, the snow is just not right though more attractive. I see what you mean---