Ben

Grain Elevator

Grain Elevator, Shelby, Montana

Grain Elevator

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Grain Elevator

Hi, Ben;

I like the patterns, with the variable light around the cylinders, the seams, and the rivets. It's a good job on the exposure, with all the shadows, large and small. I'm ambivalent about the truck: it provides some scale, but it distracts from what seems a geometric image. It would hard to clone out, but might be worth it. But my main comment is that it feels like a very tight crop: is this intentional, to create a hard vertical effect? It bothers me more at the top, really: it seems that the structures on top are cut off arbitrarily. Maybe try leaving the sides where they are, but expand the top? Or clone out the ventilators and railings on top, which wouldn't be very hard, so it doesn't seem an arbitrary cutoff.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Wendy

Excellent shot!!! I love the dramatic lighting. I agree with Rick about the crop on the top, but think the truck should stay. The lighting and the sense of scale the truck gives is what makes the shot.

Nice WORK!

Good image. I think the truck should stay. As for the detail at the top... it's always a fine balance isn't it? You often include some other detail as you have here to give context to what the main element is in the shot. But then often leaving it out gives more of a sense of interest/mystery, and I think this shot is such an example. If you crop all that framework at the top out it would make the viewer wonder what exactly the tall columns are, and it keeps the shot nice and simple.

I might be wrong.

PS: If I didn't want the truck I would have asked the driver to move it. But then that's me!

Real Name
    John

The highlights on the elevators are very good also. I think the truck adds the right amount of color to a somewhat muted color scheme.

After White Balanced

Grain Elevator

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ben

That is, indeed, a beauty - in terms of light and shade, texture and composition. I'm not looking at this on my home, calibrated screen so won't go further than that at the moment.

I, too, would leave the truck. That's part of the story. I think it's a big part of telling us what this image is about.

Like the others, I looked at the top. Did you crop at the top? If so, what's it like if you take some of that back in?

I love this sort of image. Wendy has done quite a bit of stuff with agricultural settings/buildings and they're wonderful. I grew up amongst and still live amongst, agricultural landscapes. Must get out there and get better!

Real Name
    Ben

Thanks everyone for the comments. It was taken near sunset which is why the color is so warm. It is a tight crop. Attached is the full frame shot; equivalent 35mm focal length of about 180mm. I would have preferred the truck to be off center but could not get that to work for me.

Grain Elevator

I think your original crop is correct. You have lost the car but kept the truck which makes a good balance.

Real Name
    Rick

I have to agree: you have the best crop, of a nice shot.

Cheers,
    Rick