Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bee Fly - another portent of warmer weather

Bee Fly - another portent of warmer weather

My first Bee Fly (Bombylius major) of the season feeding on a primrose flower.

Bee Fly - another portent of warmer weather

They look like a strange type of furry bee but actually belong to the Asilidae family of flies and despite their strange shape they can hover. The very long feeding tube looks threatening but they are harmless to people.

Their larvae live as parasites in the nests of some types of bee.

A quick shot from 5 ft away, which is where my 180 mm macro lens becomes useful, but the fly wouldn't let me get closer.

A rather noisy snap with a poor light angle I'm afraid, but I just thought some people might like to see this odd looking species.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th April 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: remove IMG tags

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Bee Fly - another portent of warmer weather

Nice capture, looks very much like a hummingbird moth; they have a speckled rear end.

Real Name
    Rick

Great shot, Geoff - I like these guys (and flower flies): like tiny little hummingbirds.

Cheers,
    Rick

Good shot, Geoff. Shots like this are difficult. I do keep wanting to turn it 90 deg CCW.

Do you have a ring-flash? Ideal for this sort of shot.

Real Name
    Kori

This is pretty cool! I've never seen one of these, not in our area I'm sure! I love spring!

Yes they are a bit similar to the Hummingbird Hawk Moth; except I find these they are photographable, while the Hawk Moth has always been just too fast for me! Bee Flies aren't uncommon but are often overlooked.

I did consider a 90 degree rotation but eventually decided to leave it in the 'real life' position. I can still easily rotate the original.

The problem I encountered with taking this image is that I was photographing hoverflies on a bush, with 2 sections of the tripod extended, when I noticed this specimen about a metre from my feet. Experience has taught me to take a long shot before moving closer. And once again, it was good advice; by the time I shortened the tripod legs and attempted to move closer it was too late.

I have considered a macro ring flash but eventually thought that they just aren't sturdy enough for the way I treat my wildlife equipment; and I usually already have too much 'essential' equipment with me anyway. When flash is necessary, I normally remove the lens hood and use the camera built in flash, preferably with manual camera settings. External flash is better but once again it is another item to carry around on the off chance that it might be needed.

With a couple of sunny days forecast, I will have a look around some of my favourite insect haunts over the next couple of days.