Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My best friend and her horse C&C welcome

Real Name
    Kim

My best friend and her horse C&C welcome

As a birthday present, took some pictures of my best friend and her horse (she doesn't have a lot of pictures of the two of them, and she has been thru a lot of hardship with him). It was so nice to see them both doing so well.

Image 1 ISO 800; 85M lens; F8.0; 1/400

My best friend and her horse  C&C welcome

Image 2 - ISO 800, 70M; F8.0; 1/500

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Re: My best friend and her horse C&C welcome

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    YES! YES! YES! Now you're talking!

The first is very well rendered and the second maybe like this if I may?

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    YES! YES! YES! Now you're talking!

The first is very well rendered and the second maybe like this if I may?

Kodiak,thank for your comments on the first image and making me smile!!!

Love, love, what you did to the second image. I am learning Lightroom and Photoshop. Have been learning by doing, so when I read tutorials they make more sense. Do tell Kodiak, what did you do to it..... Increased green, shadows and what else? Thank you so much!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Agree with Kodiak's comments and improvements. Do you have a photo of the first one where your friend's hand is resting on the horse's head? My hunch is that that would be an improvement.

Real Name

Considering Mike's comment, these two options:

Real Name
    John

Nice captures both images.

Yes, Kodiak!

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice captures both images.
    Thank you John.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Agree with Kodiak's comments and improvements. Do you have a photo of the first one where your friend's hand is resting on the horse's head? My hunch is that that would be an improvement.
    You know... My emotions were so caught up in the image Mike, I didn't notice her hand -- oh my! Another lesson there for me... We were playing around and this was one of the more relaxed images I caught of her. I have a great number of images to go thru but am waiting to get my iMac. My laptop is dying.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Considering Mike's comment, these two options:

Now, that's an awesome disappearing act Daniel! Love the second one! Wonderful improvement - thank you!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    My emotions were so caught up in the image, I didn't notice her hand -- oh my! Another lesson there for me... We were playing around and this was one of the more relaxed images I caught of her.
    Come on Kim, this is a snap shot! …a "reportage" photograph of a great time
    share with a friend who was doing what she likes best, as you did!

A pro has to be "out" a tad to do a good job and, as he does that, he may be
    there but cannot share the moment with the same quality. Your friend surely
    appreciated the time seeing you taking pictures, as this is your way to share
    the moment!

As usual, I agree with Kodiak's comments. Most importantly, the sentiment of his comments.

Kim,

In the future, simply configure your camera to taking multiple shots so long as you keep the shutter release pressed. When you get back to your computer, select the best one.

This is a good idea even if you don't expect the subject to be moving. Taking multiple photos at a speed of at least 3 shots per second is a good way to ensure that the subject's eyes aren't closed. It's also a good way to increase the probability that at least one photo is tack sharp.

There's no question that your friend will just love these photos. Nothing else matters in comparison.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    As usual, I agree with Kodiak's comments. Most importantly, the sentiment of his comments.

Kim,

In the future, simply configure your camera to taking multiple shots so long as you keep the shutter release pressed. When you get back to your computer, select the best one.

This is a good idea even if you don't expect the subject to be moving. Taking multiple photos at a speed of at least 3 shots per second is a good way to ensure that the subject's eyes aren't closed. It's also a good way to increase the probability that at least one photo is tack sharp.

There's no question that your friend will just love these photos. Nothing else matters in comparison.
    Awesome advice Mike. That's why you're all the best here :-). Thank you

Real Name
    Dan

Hey, Kim. You captured a couple of nice shots that your friend will surely cherish. IMO the second shot does a better job of capturing the connection between the two. Mike's tip regarding shooting in burst mode is good advice. It is amazing how much difference the slightest tilt of the head or nuance of expression can make.

In the first shot, the horse looking directly at the camera is not optimal. For dogs/cats that pose works because their eyes are in the front of their head. But for animals like horses (or moose) a slight twist of the head sometimes shows off those big beautiful eyes to better advantage. One eye full on and the other in profile with the big lashes showing really looks cool. Also for the intended purpose, the horse's head turned slightly toward your friend would have shown their connection better. Getting the person and animal to interact a bit and then fire away in burst mode will yield more options.

You did good. Just some thoughts for future consideration.

Real Name
    Daniel

Nice captures, Kim!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

My vote goes to #2 best, Kim...you can really see the connection between the horse and your friend. And I like the little horn she put on the horse's head. Cute. You've done well...

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Hey, Kim. You captured a couple of nice shots that your friend will surely cherish. IMO the second shot does a better job of capturing the connection between the two. Mike's tip regarding shooting in burst mode is good advice. It is amazing how much difference the slightest tilt of the head or nuance of expression can make.

In the first shot, the horse looking directly at the camera is not optimal. For dogs/cats that pose works because their eyes are in the front of their head. But for animals like horses (or moose) a slight twist of the head sometimes shows off those big beautiful eyes to better advantage. One eye full on and the other in profile with the big lashes showing really looks cool. Also for the intended purpose, the horse's head turned slightly toward your friend would have shown their connection better. Getting the person and animal to interact a bit and then fire away in burst mode will yield more options.

You did good. Just some thoughts for future consideration.
    Thank you Dan. Excellent points... The horse was busy looking at something and wasn't as interested in his mom as usual. I prob should have done some other shots and come back to that area when he was more relaxed. I do have some where he is interacting with her...just need to go thru them and see if I captured a good one :-)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 3rd September 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you Daniel and Izzie. The item on his head is a fly bonnet - it protects him from bugs, which there were plenty of on this humid day.

Real Name
    Peter

Well caught images which I'm sure your friend will be really pleased with, well done Kim.

Real Name
    Philip

They are lovely shots that both show the wonderful relationship between horse and rider.

I did a similar shoot for a friend last year, never having done that sort of thing before, and learned a lot from that little project. Two small points to add to what others have written, and which also arose in my photos, that are worth bearing in mind for the future:
    (i) be aware of the horse's stance - in the first, some might see a three-legged animal;
    (ii) be aware of the background - in the second, it might have been better not to have the tree directly behind the rider.

Cheers.
    Philip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast