Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it OK to take photo with the left eye ?

is it OK to take photo with the left eye ?

is It OK to take photo with the left eye ?

My right eye is myopic

Real Name
    Jim

Re: is it OK to take photo with the left eye ?

I'm a left eye shooter.Doesn't pose any problems using my camera.
    For me, it's more comfortable and more stable to shoot left eye with long lenses.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 2nd April 2010 at 12:30 PM.

I always shoot left. I had cataract removal in both eyes last year with new prescription lens implants. I don't have to wear glasses now but my left is slightly better for distance, and I can manually focus well with it. Left is best anyway when the camera is held in portrait mode (your nose sits at the side (top) of the camera.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Me too - left eye. Think I'd find it impossible to use my right eye - angles and hand positions would be all wrong. Everything just works with the left eye pressed up against the viewfinder. My left eye is also the more dominant.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm lucky; I'm blind in both eyes The only time I can see is when I put my eye to the viewfinder but I can't remember which one. Do you ever get that feeling when you sense a good shot put the viewfinder up to your eyes and go bugger. It is amazing how different the world looks through a viewfinder isn't it, you see a swan flapping its wings or a squirrel, put the viewfinder to your eyes and its gone.
    I can remember doing a panorama turning the camera from left to right as you do and seeing a giant beak in the viewfinder, I thought it is amazing what telephoto lens can achieve; until I remembered I haven't got a telephoto.
    cheers

Real Name
    Jeroen

I use my right eye, just because I always did. I don't know why I started like that back than (I didn't thought about it) but now I find it very very difficult to switch to my left, somehow I can't shut my right eye only .

Here is one of Joe Mcnally's tutorials about holding a camera. It's also for left eye photographers.

But I wonder if I should learn myself to use my left eye.

edit: I watched his tutorial carefully and tried some of it myself, and I find that the sholdersupport is very useful, though it means I have to lear to switch eyes...
    Last edited by JK6065; 2nd April 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Real Name
    John

Boko,

If your camera has a diopter adjuster then it won't matter which eye you use as long as you adjust it to the strength of that eye. I take it you aren't using your viewfinder or you don't have live view on your camera's monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    is It OK to take photo with the left eye ?

My right eye is myopic
    Last edited by Shadowman; 2nd April 2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    It is amazing how different the world looks through a viewfinder isn't it, you see a swan flapping its wings or a squirrel, put the viewfinder to your eyes and its gone.
    I think I'd only use live view in a glancing shot . Placing my eye in viewfinder helps me in sensitively focusing object . My nose is not a big problem because I'm an asian .

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Me too - left eye. Think I'd find it impossible to use my right eye - angles and hand positions would be all wrong. Everything just works with the left eye pressed up against the viewfinder. My left eye is also the more dominant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I'm a left eye shooter.Doesn't pose any problems using my camera.
    For me, it's more comfortable and more stable to shoot left eye with long lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I always shoot left. I had cataract removal in both eyes last year with new prescription lens implants. I don't have to wear glasses now but my left is slightly better for distance, and I can manually focus well with it. Left is best anyway when the camera is held in portrait mode (your nose sits at the side (top) of the camera.
    Thanks for your advice . I feel safe when use left eye now
    Last edited by boko; 2nd April 2010 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I use either eye, although I actually prefer my left one as it means my nose doesn't leave smudges on the LCD screen!

Real Name
    António Correia

I look through the camera with the right eye keeping the left opened what allows me to look around without removing the camera from the other eye.

Sometimes it is a bit stressing that is why I do it only in certain occasions like waiting for a moment.
    is it OK to take photo with the left eye ?

I actually do landscapes most often and I use Live View, so I use both eyes at the same time

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Left is best anyway when the camera is held in portrait mode (your nose sits at the side (top) of the camera.
    Which raises a whole new matter - Which way do you have the camera when using in portrait mode? Shutter button on top or bottom; i.e. viewfinder at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position?

Me? - 9 o'clock.

But, like Agata, I do a lot of stuff with Liveview. The biggest problem with that is using varifocal spectacles. I have to tip my head backwards so that I'm looking at the screen through the lower part of the spectacles.

Real Name

Which raises a whole new matter - Which way do you have the camera when using in portrait mode? Shutter button on top or bottom; i.e. viewfinder at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position?
    Mine is STILL at the top when shooting vertically (you have 15 seconds to figure that one out!)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Mine is STILL at the top when shooting vertically
    But you've got the sort of cameras that'll cook your dinner for you if you talk to them nicely!!

Real Name

But you've got the sort of cameras that'll cook your dinner for you if you talk to them nicely!!
    Only if I crash-charge the battery too fast

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Mine is STILL at the top when shooting vertically (you have 15 seconds to figure that one out!)
    So is mine, and it is a bit down the list from yours, and a different brand. Give them time and they will learn to think laterally. (or look a the gear in my sig)

Real Name
    John

Hopefully with a tripod, that method of holding a camera can lead to camera shake.
    Quote Originally Posted by agaace View Post
    I actually do landscapes most often and I use Live View, so I use both eyes at the same time

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Give them time and they will learn to think laterally.
    Bill
    'fraid I'm too simple a person to engage in lateral thinking. Nor does the steer towards the gear in your signature provide enlightenment. I think you'll have to explain for those of us not so cognitively endowed.

Real Name

Bill
    'fraid I'm too simple a person to engage in lateral thinking. Nor does the steer towards the gear in your signature provide enlightenment. I think you'll have to explain for those of us not so cognitively endowed.
    Hint: Cameras with battery grips have 2 shutter releases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast