Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Having problems with my night shots

Having problems with my night shots

Hi, I have a Canon Rebel Xsi and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens. I am very happy with my lens but I do not like night pictures. They come out grainy and poor quality. What am I doing wrong or is it the camera's fault?
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd April 2010 at 04:01 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Having problems with my night shots

Quote Originally Posted by desrtroze View Post
    Hi, I have a Canon Rebel Xsi and Canon and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens. I am very happy with my lens but I do not like night pictures. They come out grainy and poor quality. What am I doing wrong or is it the camera's fault?
    Hi "desrtroze",

Firstly welcome to the CiC forums.
    Secondly, can we please have a first name to call you?

Thirdly, an example image (in this copy of your original Intro post) would help?

I suspect that it is more to do with technique than say, a camera fault, or being the camera's fault.

We need to know how you're taking the picture(s), what the subject is and what if any PP you are attempting, in order to advise you properly, hence the request for an example image (or two).

If, for instance, you're doing it on Auto, with Auto ISO, trying to do it handheld, etc. shooting jpg and all that is combining to result in shots being taken at 1600 iso that are noisy and possibly blurry .... you see what I mean?

Anyway, thanks for joining and we look forward to being able to help you,

Real Name
    Troy

Re: Having problems with my night shots

I would like to refer you to a night photography article.

In short, a higher ISO speed will result in a brighter image (good for night) but with more noise. The only three ways to lower the ISO (with any given camera) is to:
    1) lengthen the shutter speed (sometimes you will need a tripod)
    2) widen the aperture (this means a lower f-stop)
    3) add more light (flash)

f/4 isn't completely ideal for night, but if your subjects are within range, use some flash and see how long you can push the shutter. Usually it's not recommended to dip below a speed of 1/focal length when camera is handheld. skip to "Focal Length & Handheld Photos"

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Having problems with my night shots

We had a similar discussion here not too long ago - you might find it helpful.