Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For quiet moments

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

For quiet moments

The man at the other end of the line said:
    "…well, this is rather urgent… if we could have it tomorrow latest 11 AM…
    yes, we're going to press in the afternoon! Fine, thank you… I'm counting on you."

The editor of a magazine was desperately looking for a picture of the old days,
    where taking some time for relaxing and maybe related with some kind of pleasure…
    A chance to think back, reflect on what happened during the day or plan ahead…

I went, after dinner, to the props room and started digging, and associating things
    and came up with the old pipe! So I built up this scene where the only thing that
    is not at least 70 years old are the matches… that I added up just before the click.

C&C Welcome! As usual, SOOC.

For quiet moments
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 19th August 2014 at 11:06 AM.

Real Name
    Shane

Re: For quiet moments

Is there a reason that you choose to link to your images rather than post them here Kodiak? It is a lot more convenient for most of us to look at the images here and many won't click through

Real Name
    John

Nicely done, very rich colors.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Is there a reason that you choose to link to your images rather than post them here Kodiak?
    YES, THERE IS!
    I took part to a few forums (even as moderator at a paying one) where I ended
    up loosing control of all the pictures I posted! Because I did not agree with the
    other moderators on the way they treated a member, I was blocked out!
    In my book, sharing is not giving!

Real Name
    Dan

Seems like you hit the mark. At least in my mind.
    ...It is a lot more convenient for most of us to look at the images here and many won't click through
    I typically fall into that camp. In this case I clicked but usually won't do so. I imbed images rather than uploading them. At least one retains the illusion of control

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Seems like you hit the mark. At least in my mind.
    Sorry, what does this mean?

I imbed images rather than uploading them. At least one retains the illusion of control
    …and just how do you do that?

Real Name
    Dan

Nice image.

I too rarely click through. I think what Dan means by embedding is that you can click the square icon above the posting window, and that will give you a dialog box into which you can paste exactly the same link--only the image shows up here. That is what I do. All of my images are on Smugmug, and the ones I care about have limits on the size of the download.

What's the reason for SOOC? All digital images are processed. SOOC means that you either (1) shoot jpeg, or (2) rely on the defaults in your raw conversion software. I assume from one of your earlier posts that you mean the latter. Either way, you are applying a fixed set of processing algorithms--for sharpening, color balance, saturation, contrast, etc.--without any regard for the specifics of the image, and you are foregoing tools, some of which, like dodging and burning, have been around, and used by the best, for generations. Why do that? I can see avoiding the extremes to which many people take postprocessing, but just speaking personally, I would never want to give up control over developing my images. I did my own B&W processing, and one of the things I most disliked about color before digital was sending film off to whomever and hoping it came back as I wanted it. Just MHO.

Real Name
    Carol

Is there a reason that you choose to link to your images rather than post them here Kodiak? It is a lot more convenient for most of us to look at the images here and many won't click through
    Although Kodiak did give his reason, I for one will not click on links just to see a photo. Lazy? Perhaps, but it's an extra step to see the image, and then any comments pertaining to the image; you have to keep re-clicking on the link to see the image again.

While I respect anyone's decision not to post their photos, and use a link; I hope they also respect those of us that do not wish to use a link.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Shame on you for using matches that also aren't at least 70 years old.

The overall concept works really well for me. Anyone who hasn't lit a still-life scene that includes glass, metal and relatively shiny leather such as in this scene can't appreciate how much you've made a difficult task seem so easy.

I only wonder what the dark, curved area in the very bottom left corner is, as it's distracting.

EDIT: I just noticed that though there is an obvious reflection of the matches, there are no other reflections. Accidental or intentional? Regardless, I'm guessing that it was intentional and that you placed a highly reflective material such as black plexiglass underneath the glass tabletop only underneath the matches. Did I guess correctly?
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th August 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Shame on you for using matches that also aren't at least 70 years old.
    I know, I repent! …but at the time the shot was done, the antiques shop was closed!

I only wonder what the dark, curved area in the very bottom left corner is, as it's distracting.
    This shot was lit with a main gridded head relatively high and shooting quite vertically down.
    The falloff being carefully placed at the bottom of the container but not touching the clear glass.
    The curve is the base of the container disappearing in the falloff.

EDIT:… I'm guessing that it was intentional and that you placed a highly reflective material such as black plexiglass underneath the glass tabletop only underneath the matches. Did I guess correctly?
    The scene was laid out on a clear glass. Olivier was with me as assistant (he was just curious to see
    how I would get out of this one) and I proposed to work with a 4 in. grid directly on the flash head.
    The "black glass" effect is a consequence of the inverse square law and the reflection (or absence of)
    is a result of the fairly straight down position of the gridded flash head.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Sorry, what does this mean?
    I mean you seem to have achieved the intended scene per your explanation of what the client requested. Of course ultimately it is up to the client to decide that.

…and just how do you do that?
    The other Dan explained it. Simply paste the link into a different tool. Then we get to see it in the thread. But if you decide to change or remove it you simply do so in the location on your website. If you move/remove it, then future looks at the CIC page would only reveal the infamous little red x on a white box rather than your image. Of course if the site owners were so inclined as to steal you work that method doesn't completely protect you. Then again if any of us have such suspicions we would be dolts for hanging around here in the first place

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I mean you seem to have achieved the intended scene per your explanation of what the client requested. Of course ultimately it is up to the client to decide that.
    Hit the mark… thanks, now it's clear!

Well, I already sent the file… so I will probably know first thing in the morning.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    What's the reason for SOOC? All digital images are processed. SOOC means that you either (1) shoot jpeg, or (2) rely on the defaults in your raw conversion software. I assume from one of your earlier posts that you mean the latter.
    Absolutely right! …the latter! BUT…
    The default settings of my RAW converter can be overridden by creating
    a preset profile that corresponds to my tools and workflow. SOOC in this
    case means the with this profile, I get OOC the same thing that went in.

A RAW file that show in my converter "exactly" what is in front of my lens.
    This requires the same rigour then working on a copy stand (colours, aber-
    rations, distortion and other parameters such as fringing, etc) but this is the
    only way to WYSIWYG and ultimately to SOOC.

Too many "photographers" on the market today are killing the trade. I don't
    mean that there are too many photographers but too many "photographers"
    that take jobs and the only way they can do it is by cutting the prices. If I
    still want to make a living, I have to be more creative and faster than they
    are. They will charge X amount for a day's work but I can do the job in an
    hour or less for table top works or studio shootings for example.

SOOC is a great part of that strategy!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the explanation, Daniel!

Real Name
    David

Very nice Daniel, I like this

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very creative, Daniel...so the antique shop is your parts and accessories department?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Very creative, Daniel...so the antique shop is your parts and accessories department?
    Yes, in a small town, everyone knows everyone… The antique shop owner
    is a very dangerous chess player —among other things!

Real Name

The editor of a magazine (a small regional publication but full with cool people!)
    sent me an em@il saying that the picture is very good and that he knew he could
    count on me.

… after 3 rainy days, this sunny Friday has a good start!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 19th August 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Good for you...it is really a very nice work...

Only three object and so much presence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast