Thread: Captions in Lightroom and Photoshop

Real Name
    Bruce

Captions in Lightroom and Photoshop

I've recently taken a number of botanical photos on a visit to an alpine meadow. I want to attach permanent captions (plant name) at the bottom of each image. The captions need to be visible whether the photo is viewed on a screen or printed via LR and in some cases probably also via Photoshop CS6. This rules out simply adding a caption via the metadata in LR and/or adding custom text in the print module of LR.

Is there a straightforward way to do what I want? I've searched on the internet and in a couple of books and nothing has leapt out at me. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Captions in Lightroom and Photoshop

Do you want the caption to be over the image or outside the image either at the top or along the bottom?

Whatever you want I think it will need to be done with the text tool in Photoshop. For speed and consistency it maybe best to set up an "action" so that an added border (if required) and variable text can be added relatively easily with predefined position, font, size, colour and drop shadow.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Do you want the caption to be over the image or outside the image either at the top or along the bottom?

Whatever you want I think it will need to be done with the text tool in Photoshop. For speed and consistency it maybe best to set up an "action" so that an added border (if required) and variable text can be added relatively easily with predefined position, font, size, colour and drop shadow.
    Wouldn't it be applied like a watermark?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Wouldn't it be applied like a watermark?
    It could be but the text needs editing every time. I do not know what style Bruce prefers and there are a lot of options.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Bruce,

If I understand you correctly, I think you're wanting to add a bit of a border to the bottom of the image?

The easiest way to do this in PS is to add a new layer, drag it underneath the image layer, resize it, fill it with a colour of your choice and then add your text.

Like so...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I just extend the size of the canvas by selecting the number of pixels and colour and ticking "relative". It can be assigned to a button with actions, so is literally just a click away. From there, just add a text layer.

Real Name
    Richard

A tip...

If your text is over the image, I find it handy to add a drop shadow in a contrasting color or density. That way if the text is extended over an area of the image with a similar color or density, the drop shadow makes it easier to read.

In other words, if your text is in white and is extended over a white or very light area of the image, a small black drop shadow will make it easier to read. Conversely a white drop shadow will improve legibility of black text over a black or dark area of the image...

This is just an example I just concocted showing how the black drop shadow makes the white text more legible when it is superimposed over a white area of the image..

To add the drop shadow in Photoshop, simply double click on the text layer and select "drop shadow" from the menu which appears. You can then select the color, size and density of the shadow...

Of course, when you add text to a solid color border, the drop shadow is not absolutely necessary. It does, however IMO make the look of the text more professional.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Bruce you can do this with Mogrify 2 in LR this thread here might help.

About Plug-in

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I won't have time at my computer till later today but now appear to have the information for what I want to do.

Real Name
    Denny

I've used both "increase the frame size" method and "add a layer" method. Find adding the layer the best for me since I can turn it on or off with a click to make a jpg copy with or without the words.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post

L. Paul, I want to have the caption outside the image, as part of a bottom white border. As a result, it seems from yours and other's comments that Photoshop will probably be the way I should go.

Real Name
    Bruce

Here is the end result:

Thank you again to everyone for your advice and comments. I increased the canvas size and then created a type layer with the text tool. The next step is to create an action for this.

Denny, you said,
    I've used both "increase the frame size" method and "add a layer" method. Find adding the layer the best for me since I can turn it on or off with a click to make a jpg copy with or without the words.
    Do you add a layer without increasing the canvas size?

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Bruce. I grow a lot of Planta Incognita in my garden as well ....

Real Name
    Hendrik

In Lightroom this can be done in the print module. The trick is to observe the following settings:

For Page/Photo Info choose Caption. Whatever text populates the Caption field in the Metadata (directly editable while in Grid or Loupe view) will appear below the photo. The font size is adjustable.

Adjust the margins of the print to accommodate the caption.

Finally, print to JPEG rather than Printer. You may also wish to Create Saved Print (upper right of image pane) to retain these settings in the catalog in order to have the ability to Export versions sized for different uses.

Of course, OTOH, PS gives you access to a universe of font styles...