Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Heron Pano

Real Name
    Steve

Heron Pano

Here is a preliminary shot of one of the roost trees. I didn't do too much with the edit, because the lighting isn't right and i didn't want to spend anymore time on it. This image was huge (17000 x 10300), and took forever to put together. (56 shots with the 300 f/4L Lens)

Here is the situation...........towards evening, the tree becomes shadowed and the background is still lit giving a back lighting situation , killing the subject. This happens around 5:00 pm. Before that, the tree and background are lit, but the light is too hard. Morning light comes from just to the right of tree, also backlighting. Any suggestions?

I think my best times are going to be just before dark and the first hint of light in the morning. What do you think?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Heron Pano

A crop of the top part ................

Heron Pano
    Last edited by Steve S; 28th March 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Re: Heron Pano

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Here is a preliminary shot of one of the roost trees. I didn't do too much with the edit, because the lighting isn't right and i didn't want to spend anymore time on it. This image was huge (17000 x 10300), and took forever to put together. (56 shots with the 300 f/4L Lens)

Here is the situation...........towards evening, the tree becomes shadowed and the background is still lit giving a back lighting situation , killing the subject. This happens around 5:00 pm. Before that, the tree and background are lit, but the light is too hard. Morning light comes from just to the right of tree, also backlighting. Any suggestions?

I think my best times are going to be just before dark and the first hint of light in the morning. What do you think?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I think I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment. If I remember correctly, based on what you've said in the past about the positioning of your stand in relation to the roost, it would be almost impossible to get a shot at a different angle. Timing would be everything, but do you think it would be possible to get some decent shots if the sky had a thin cirrus overcast, filtering the light a bit, or perhaps some puffy cumulus that might cast some shadows on the background but leave the roost tree lit?