Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mirror cleaning

Real Name
    Steve

Mirror cleaning

I noticed a couple of spots of dust and a mark, well since I've had the camera. I can't see properly as it is and now it is becoming irritating to the extreme, like a high pitched grating sound or white noise clandestine figures torture people with and it is driving me crazy.

Blowing on it with a rocket doesn't work and I just stopped short of putting a brush or cotton bud sprayed with lens cleaner on it.

So I had a look on the internet and the only advice I can find is 'don't do it, It is made of aluminium', well I had a Land Rover made of aluminium and you could touch that. So what is the best cleaning method.?

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Mirror cleaning

Hi, Steve;

Jim B posted a link to this blog. It's a Canon repair tech, and I recall that a couple of the questions are about mirror cleaning, and he did give some practical advice.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Malcolm

Seek professional help. You can most likely make it worse with home remedies.

Real Name
    Steve

A really useful site where I found that I need to get sensorklear for the sensor but although somebody asked about a mirror didn't get a reply.

However close to that was a question about the plastic above the mirror and the advice was don't do it. The dust, two bits and a slight smudge are all on the mirror and it is extremely frustrating because with a cotton bud it would be so easy to get at. cheers Rick

Real Name
    Pops

Cleaning the mirror is much different from cleaning the sensor or sensor guard. The key is GENTLY rather than GENTLY. Microfiber cloth, dampened with a spritz of lens cleaner and spun out to a wand. Don't wrap your finger with the cloth and touch the mirror, just use the "tongue" of cloth to gently, gently wipe the mirror, after having blown it with the air bulb.

If this doesn't get it clean enough, take it to a professional for a professional cleaning.

The only time I will clean a mirror is in the field, too far from a pro get get service.

Pops

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Pops, I think I will take a trip to Stoke on Trent one day because after all the travelling and cost of a taxi from the station it is still cheaper for me to go directly to the Canon Service Centre than take it to my local chap who thinks I should pay him loads of money to just post it.

It looks so easy though and it isn't as if it affects performance just I can see it.

How to clean the way I do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d908uZZ2EnA

When purchasing synthetic craft brushes, make sure that they don't have sizing or coatings to keep the bristles even. Mount your camera on a tripod and always have it facing down during the whole process. The mirror is very delicate and sensitive to scratches so do not like the metal bristle holder touch while sweeping out.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Thinking "outside the box" here, are you sure that the spots are on the mirror? 99 times out of 100 they're on the focusing screen which is what you see looking through the viewfinder.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I can see them on the mirror; two black tiny specs of dust I could get off with a brush but thought better of it although I've got a new brush still could get grease there. Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Amberglass, I'm amazed at american prices because my local dealer, not Canon, wants £60 +vat to just clean the sensor and I thought well it only costs £30 inclusive at a Canon service centre nearest in Stoke which is quite a long way for me.

But if s/he can brush it so can I, and I'm getting sensorklear by lenspen for the sensor. cheers.

for our American friends £70.50 with tax is currently $104.55

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes I can see them on the mirror; two black tiny specs of dust I could get off with a brush but thought better of it although I've got a new brush still could get grease there. Cheers Colin.
    Hi Steve,

Keep in mind though that they don't affect the image that's recorded though, as the mirror is retracted. I see to get a lot on the focusing screen which I used to clean regularly, but these days I've just given up (mostly) and "learned to live with them".