Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Magnetic tripod head adapters

Real Name
    Pops

Magnetic tripod head adapters

In wandering about the 'net, looking for a replacement head for one of my tripods, I have come across a magnetic adapter thingy. I understand how it works.

However, in my 50 some-odd years in electronics, I also understand how magnetic fields can upset electronic circuits. I am uneasy about putting strong magnets in close proximity to my modern cameras and then disturbing those fields.

Have any of you thoughts on this subject?

Pops

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Magnetic tripod head adapters

Hi, Pops;

I'd be very concerned about the media. A magnet around CF or SD doesn't sound good. And don't DSLRs use magnets during shutter actuation (mirror flip, maybe?). I guess if the magnet is strong enough, I suppose there could be an impact there.

I wouldn't expect a non-varying magnetic field to have any effect on the camera electronics, but as you say, if you pass the camera through the field, who knows? The low impedance of logic circuits makes them pretty immune to stray pick-up, but that might not hold true around the sensor.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Pops

A static magnetic field is pretty benign to electronics. However, anytime that field is disturbed, there are electrical fields and forces set up in any metallic/conducting stuff within range. You are going to disturb that field every time you attach or remove the camera. That is what I'm concerned about.

I might be tempted to pick one up for my FG and FG-20, though. I'll just have to remember to not keep my Starbucks gift card in the camera bag.

Pops

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I might be tempted to pick one up for my FG and FG-20, though. I'll just have to remember to not keep my Starbucks gift card in the camera bag.

Pops
    Or your extra SD cards.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    In wandering about the 'net, looking for a replacement head for one of my tripods, I have come across a magnetic adapter thingy. I understand how it works.

However, in my 50 some-odd years in electronics, I also understand how magnetic fields can upset electronic circuits. I am uneasy about putting strong magnets in close proximity to my modern cameras and then disturbing those fields.

Have any of you thoughts on this subject?

Pops
    As an electronics type too (radar), I'd steer clear of it by a mile.

Real Name
    Troy

yea once it's snug, there will be no interference, but once you start to move the camera relative to the magnet, things may get icky - that does not exclude attachment and detachment

Real Name
    Barry Doig

If that magnet is strong enough to hold my D200 and heavy lens securely then it's strong enough to affect the electrics in my camera and card. If it's weak enough not to affect my electrics then I wouldn't trust it to hold my camera. In both cases it looks like a lose/lose situation. Barry

Real Name
    Pops

Actually, all of you mirror my concern. I posted mostly to get those who don't know about the interaction between electrons and magnetic fields a heads up.

Thank you. Keep 'em coming.

Pops

Hi,
    My Leuopold trek monopod just arrived with a magnet head, & a rest head.. It has 2 magnet strengths with it. I'm still inexperienced with any tripods. I don't quite trust the magnet & it is a tug that is necessary to pull the camera off, otherwise I think it may a nice extra piece of equipment for me. I never considered the magnet rx that may take place. I did remove the magnet end & screwed in the rest piece & now I'm glad I did esp. if it may affect any of the camera inners.
    For me the its quicker just to use the rest head since the stick is adjustable in height & I can angle it & still have a steadier hand. I haven't gone bush walking with it yet.
    Still my camera is smaller than some.
    diane
    Panasonic FZ100