Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D3000 Sharpness

Real Name
    Ron

Nikon D3000 Sharpness

As in the D3000/D5000 and maybe other Nikon models, there is a Picture Control facility that enables Sharpness settings to be altered in P S A M modes. There are default settings for Sharpness but have other users used different settings that they find to be more suitable? I guess to some degree that this setting is not that critical (or is it?) given that sharpness can be corrected in eg PSE8 ... assuming a sharp picture was captured in the first place
    ... Maybe you think Nikon know best so therefore stick to defaults.
    I would appreciate your views. Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon D3000 Sharpness

Hi Ron,

I believe this will only affect the jpg images. (Thank heavens)

That said, if you use Nikon's ViewNX or Capture NX2 for RAW processing (instead of ACR), it might well get applied to the RAW in that, depending upon what was set on the camera (although obviously you could change it).

I haven't changed mine from the defaults - based on the assumption it is irrelevant to me

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ron,

I believe this will only affect the jpg images. (Thank heavens)

That said, if you use Nikon's ViewNX or Capture NX2 for RAW processing (instead of ACR), it might well get applied to the RAW in that, depending upon what was set on the camera (although obviously you could change it).

I haven't changed mine from the defaults - based on the assumption it is irrelevant to me

Cheers,
    Hei Dave,
    Thanks for thoughts. I don't use the Nikon pc software now, only Elements 8. I ran some non-scientific fine jpg tests with the in-camera sharpening ... A (auto) through to 4/5 it was difficult to see any real difference but at 9, uff!
    I do a lot of capture in fine jpg (some 1000's each year) from which my lady selects and creates albums ... well, more like picture books really. If I was to shoot these 'snaps' in RAW, at my pace I would spend my whole life buried in ACR/Elements so I reserve RAW for those special moments ... like CinC

"If I was to shoot these 'snaps' in RAW, at my pace I would spend my whole life buried in ACR/Elements so I reserve RAW for those special moments."

If you wish to have that kind of workflow, meaning no post processing, then you can chose to save in RAW, and batch convert them to JPEG using your computer (you can do this overnight). In this way, you have the option to process "keepers" in RAW, and produce somewhat higher resoultion images.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    If I was to shoot these 'snaps' in RAW, at my pace I would spend my whole life buried in ACR/Elements
    I can think of worse things to do...

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    "If I was to shoot these 'snaps' in RAW, at my pace I would spend my whole life buried in ACR/Elements so I reserve RAW for those special moments."

If you wish to have that kind of workflow, meaning no post processing, then you can chose to save in RAW, and batch convert them to JPEG using your computer (you can do this overnight). In this way, you have the option to process "keepers" in RAW, and produce somewhat higher resoultion images.
    Good point, thanks. Since I bought my new D3000 toy, my lady says that she prefers pics from our other Coolpix 4800 'cause they are sharper I'm working on this

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I can think of worse things to do...
    Thanks Rob, agreed ... I'll just ask my lady. Ouch

Your compact maybe sharper but it may not necessarily mean it has a higher resolution (see tutorial). Hence, with proper sharpening, your D3000 should be able to resolve greater detail and generally better IQ than your compact.

I don't know how "sharp" the 18-105mm lens is though.

Also, do look up Colin's sharpening technique that David has hyperlinked in the previous post.
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 25th March 2010 at 10:58 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Your compact maybe sharper but it may not necessarily mean it has a higher resolution (see tutorial). Hence, with proper sharpening, your D3000 should be able to resolve greater detail and generally better IQ than your compact.

Also, do look up Colin's sharpening technique that David has hyperlinked in the previous post.
    Very sharp

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...r_18105_3556vr

Real Name
    Ron

Yep (I'm missing your name?), I agree with Steve, the 18-105mm VR lens is capable of some cracking pics ... its ME that's the problem, not the lens/D3000.

Getting better though using the manual settings. Got lazy with the 4800 using auto nearly all the time (and I must say it was mostly correct) and its quite some years since I did SLR film.
    I have spent some time on sharpening with the help tutorials and Colin/Dave and don't see this as a major hurdle now ... given that I get a good enough starting point capture

Real Name
    Steve

Is this any good to you Ron.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Useful to me, I didn't realise the D3000 doesn't have Live View
    Nor the slightly more restricted ISO range.

Glad it has same focus system though (from D90, I believe)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Useful to me, I didn't realise the D3000 doesn't have Live View
    Nor the slightly more restricted ISO range.
    Glad it has same focus system though (from D90, I believe)
    Cheers,
    Thanks for this 'look up'. I did in fact pick this up when it was released and study it. Regarding no 'Live View' or 'Movie', I hardly used such on my Coolpix 4800 so figured I would be better off getting the more expensive 18-105mm lens rather than the 18-55mm. I am very pleased with the camera/lens ... when I use it correctly

Real Name

Hi Ron,

Sounds like a good call, although ...

I'm currently doing a fair bit of 'rough and ready' photography for e-Bay and find that when tripod mounted, the flip down screen with Live View is very helpful at saving myself a strained back peering through the viewfinder.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ron

Hi Ron,
    ... Live View is very helpful at saving myself a strained back peering through the viewfinder.
    Cheers,
    Yep, I have to say I do crawl on my knees a bit ... back to childhood days no doubt

Real Name
    John

I was just reading about methods to get sharp photos and it explains that part of the problem is the steadiness of the photographer, the focal length of the lens and what shutter speed you are using, and the image stabilization system of the camera.
    Yep (I'm missing your name?), I agree with Steve, the 18-105mm VR lens is capable of some cracking pics ... its ME that's the problem, not the lens/D3000.

Getting better though using the manual settings. Got lazy with the 4800 using auto nearly all the time (and I must say it was mostly correct) and its quite some years since I did SLR film.
    I have spent some time on sharpening with the help tutorials and Colin/Dave and don't see this as a major hurdle now ... given that I get a good enough starting point capture

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I was just reading about methods to get sharp photos and it explains that part of the problem is the steadiness of the photographer, the focal length of the lens and what shutter speed you are using, and the image stabilization system of the camera.
    Spot on!
    Image stabilisation with Nikon VR is very good I understand, as is the lens I use with it. Most of my mistakes when I make them (and its not all bad ) are down to not observing shutter speed ref focal length and to using the multipoint auto focus incorrectly ... I have on occasion focused and then moved the camera to re-align pic ... hey presto the camera changed its focus and I did not hear the whirring. Got that sorted now ... focus lock We shall see.
    As for the photographer steadiness ... ah well

Real Name
    John

Spot on!
    The book mentioned using a technique used by sharpshooters and archers, take a deep breath, slowly exhale, and and squeeze the shutter release at the end of this cycle. Easy said and read than practiced.

The Complete Guide to Night and Low Light Digital Photography, p. 75, author Michael Freeman
    As for the photographer steadiness ... ah well
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st April 2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: moved closing quote tag

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The book mentioned using a technique used by sharpshooters and archers, take a deep breath, slowly exhale, and and squeeze the shutter release at the end of this cycle.
    I do that, I do that
    about 10% of the time - when I remember

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just use a tripod!

Real Name

What's that Colin, "use a Zimmer-pod", I'm not that old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast