Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 Weekly Photos - Part 3

My 2014 Weekly Photos - Part 3

Once again, I will try to post at least one photo per week during 2014. The scenes will vary to show something of the area where I live and things going on here.

In order to keep this thread within a reasonable size I will split it into 4 sections. My previous Weekly Photo 2014 thread is here My 2014 Weekly Photos - Part 2

Week 27 - Goodnight Malborough

As darkness descends on the city of Malborough, 2 miles away, 60 people 10 dogs and 12 cats prepare for sleep!

7D with Canon 70-200 lens 1/8, F6.3 Iso 400. Plus a bit of editing with layers and masks.

Took several shots with different settings but eventually ditched all but two of them. Possibly rejected some in the camera too early, because they seemed over bright. Then after downloading, I only used the brighter of those, and they were a bit on the dark side. Anyway, I've done what I can with the scene.

Anybody else think that the larger bit of cloud looks like a £ sign?

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: My 2014 Weekly Photos - Part 3

Geoff, this photo grabbed my attention and works well. I hadn't seen the £ sign until I read your question but, yes, it's there. The church spire lines up with the vertical cloud. Was that coincidental or the result of careful waiting?

I googled Marlborough to try to find what might lie behind your reference to 60 people, etc. Does the spire belong to St. Mary's church?

There are several Malboroughs in the UK, Bruce; and I'm not sure if this one is big enough to be Googleable.

It is in South Devon. I'm not sure offhand who is the church patron saint, but there are two pubs. The Royal Oak and The Old Inn. Being on a crossroad from several 'larger towns' it even has a petrol station/shop. And a primary school which takes children from the surrounding areas.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 12th July 2014 at 06:53 PM.

There is a Malborough Web Site! Here http://www.malboroughvillage.org.uk/

I did see a potential with that spire/cloud relationship and was waiting for the best moment; as it was getting darker.

Incidentally, several years ago I did manage a somewhat rough shot, with a film camera, which showed the setting sun, as a yellow ball perched right on top of the spire. But have never managed to see it again.

The same scene (almost) a couple of days later.

Week 28 - Farm Machinery waiting to be used

Once the summer is over and current crops are harvested, this machinery, resting in a hedge, will once again spring into action!

1/500 F11 Iso 400

Tried several angles but this seemed to give the best balance.

Real Name
    Binnur

Lovely sky

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, that's quite a sunset photo. For whatever reason, I've always enjoyed photos of farm machinery. I have a few B&W photos of retired (derelict) machinery I took in the 1960's while visiting on a family farm in Saskatchewan. So I've enjoyed all your tractor and other farm photos - keep them coming!

Real Name
    John

You just had to photograph that sky. Lovely image.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Geoff when you took that shot of the sunset, did you get a lotto ticket? No? What a big loss! You could have added more lens to your collection! Sometimes, you have to read the "signs" glaring at you.... That was a pretty shot though...I like the spire about to pierce that cloud...and beady little eyes peeking eeriely through the dark. Reminds me of an Alfred Hitchcock scenario...

The farm equipment is colourful. Like the blending of the blues to the green and the pale red behind...

Thanks for the comments. Mostly just a case of looking around and blundering into a suitable looking scene; and having a go at it.

Week 29 - The Plant Survey

Took part in the annual plant survey at a local wildlife reserve today. I'm supposed to be working with the guy in the pink shirt, but just nipped off to take a few shots of the general scene for the site archives.

Canon 40D with 24-105 lens. 1/500 F11 Iso 400

Rest of the country seems to be having heavy thundery showers but we merely started off a little overcast then became sunny but humid.

Week 30 - Shady Sheep

Looking over a gate, I liked the way these sheep were sheltering from the sun against that shady hedge.

Then turned to walk away but thought, 'I might as well take a few shots and see if I can get anything to work.

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/500 F11 Iso 400

Exposed for the brightest areas, which made the shadows very dark. Did two Raw conversions, one adjusted for highlights and another for shadows. Merged the two with layers and masks. Created a duplicate copy of the part edited background and reduced the noise levels on that layer, to suit the shadows. Used a mask to vary the noise reduction as required around the image.

Certainly not a perfect photo; but the alternative was to walk away and shoot nothing.

Real Name
    John

Shady Sheep: Nicely captured.

I was also attempting to get some facial expressions.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, nice sheep. Every time I read about doing two raw conversions I think it's something I need to learn to do, so here's hoping the sheep spur me on.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I was also attempting to get some facial expressions.
    Geoff - you got expressions in both even if these are only quickie shots as you mentioned -- I #1 the front sheep has that look of "I wonder what this guy is doing?" to which the middle one replied "Don't mind him...he thinks he is a photographer..."

The one behind the middle one said "Do I need to put my make-up on??!!!???"

OK...next shot:
    The one at the end looking into the camera has a beautiful expression...love her. See? she is smiling at you...
    The one beside her said "I can smell something here..." to which the other sheep said "It's my perfume?"
    And I like the expression of the one at the front, look at the sexy eyes here like singing "I'm so pretty...oh so pretty..."

Seriously, you know I love these quick shot...they are just it, hurried or not. I prefer #2 shot...it has more stories to it to captioned than what I said above...

Just my brain very early in the yawning ... It is about 9am your way, so good morning to you Sir!

Week 31 - Summer Storm Approaching

It is said that an English Summer is three sunny days and a thunderstorm.

Well here is the proof. Just managed to get up the slope and back to my vehicle as the first raindrops were falling. Got it right for once!

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens. 1/320 F11 Iso 400.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 1st August 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, this is a nice photo. The open gate tends to lead the viewer through to the next field. I assume you shot it at f11 rather than f1? Or am I missing something?

Although the climate here at the southern tip of Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada is similar in a number of repects to that of southern England, our summers are drier and thunder showers rare.

Yes F11 Bruce, probably a light finger or heavy key. I've changed it now.

One of those days where I was photographing insects amongst the boggy grass in sunshine then saw the clouds thickening so it was a decision between leave now or get some photos first and risk it!

I did take a few angles based on getting the open gate and trees to balance and, as you said, connect the foreground and background together.

Real Name
    Irene Eva

Beautiful capture - the heavy cloud cover most certainly appear threatening.

Irene

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Geoff Although it is nice in color, I think the image is a very good candidate for B&W

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast