Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long exposures

Real Name
    Binnur

Long exposures

I tried some long exposures with my 10 stop ND filter . My ND filter is a B+W . When I shot these photos at sunset I realised that it caused some orange-brown colour cast and I don't like my ND filter anymore although it is known as a good brand and I spent quite a lot of money on it

I didn't change the WB in the first image , but in the second one the colours were so orange and brown that I had to cool the colours by changing temparature and tint in ACR.

I would also like to add that if you are decided to shoot seascapes, landscapes, sunset-sunrise photos it is necessary to have some GND filters. PP really takes time to fix it and you may not always get what you want.

C&C appreciated as always

Long exposures

Long exposures

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Long exposures

Binnur - I have the same filter and it is a super easy fix in post. As they say, "don't throw away the baby with the bathwater".

Your sunset shots are mixed light and the colours are going to be whatever you make of them. If you want a cooler cast, then do this.

If you don't like the slightly warm tone, then make the corrections by adding a touch of blue and cyan, and this cast will disappear. I suspect this is more an issue of PP experience than a filter issue; really a 2-second fix.

Both images look fine to me.

Real Name
    Mark

Nice images - I like the temperature and translucent feeling of both, though they are different.

A quite interesting contribution, Binnur, and I think a problem that comes with the high stop ND filters generally, except some very high end ones. CiCs tutorial has this: "Some cheaper ND filters can introduce a color cast. Luckily this isn't a major problem with digital cameras, since this can usually be corrected by adjusting the photo's white balance in post-processing". I wonder if it isn't actually quite common excepting especially fancy rigs.

Also, I found this a very interesting theory as to how color is shifted with "neutral" density and I quite think plausible, but perhaps others will comment : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvPqsvT0T8s.

As regards your nice images, and the cited contributions above, it does seem as though using your ND filter is quite feasible with either pre-exposure manual WB, or WB & green-magenta tweaks in PP, so I'm not sure your discouragement with your filter need be so great.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Binnur,

Just to say thank you for sharing your experiences with learning to use filters.

I think the colours are gorgeous in both images. The only bit of colour that doesn't appeal to me is the wee bit of purplish sand (the brighter little bit) in the lower right hand corner of the 2nd image.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred, Mark and Christina I started another thread Problem with ND filter/Colin might know.. in the PP section when I uploaded my images into this thread. Because I thought the colour cast was a problem because of my B+W ND filter. I can understand from both threads that this is the way how strong ND filters go.

Manfred- Thank you for helpful comments in the other thread also.

Mark- I have watched the video, it has very useful information and I have copied and pasted it to the other thread in PP section for the other members to see.

Christina- Thanks for commenting. I will try fixing the purplish sand.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    ... it is a super easy fix in post....
    Hello, binnur. Regarding your ND filter, I second Manfred's comment, above, abour the WB fix in PP. It is SO simple to be done that you should not be worried about it, in my opinion. Regarding your images, I like them and prefer #2 because of the piece of shore that works as na "anchor point", in my opinion.

Well done!

Real Name
    David

Binnur, I think you are being to hard on yourself, try Manfred's tip and keep at it! I like the images by the way

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Your talent is sky scrapping....

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks for looking and commenting Otavio. I'm glad that you liked the photos. I got the point about the problem , so , no more worries

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hello, binnur. Regarding your ND filter, I second Manfred's comment, above, abour the WB fix in PP. It is SO simple to be done that you should not be worried about it, in my opinion. Regarding your images, I like them and prefer #2 because of the piece of shore that works as na "anchor point", in my opinion.

Well done!

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi David. You are right that I was too worried, because I thought there was something wrong with my filter. But after helpful comments of members, no more worries I'm glad that you liked the images.

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Binnur, I think you are being to hard on yourself, try Manfred's tip and keep at it! I like the images by the way

Real Name
    Binnur

You are so encouraging Nandakumar, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Your talent is sky scrapping....

Real Name
    Binnur

Colour of the sand corrected as Christina suggested.

Long exposures

Real Name
    vaez

thats great 2 piture lovely colours

Real Name
    Mark

Thats a great image Binnur, reading the thread has educated me so my thanks to you for starting it and my thanks to all that contibuted to it ! I personally feel that with these filters you get a image that is a starting place to use to create a piece of art, how you see that at the end is up to you, I have seen where people use welders glass as high + ND filters - it gives a strong green cast by all accounts but in some shots it works as is and in others its edited in pp to change it to suit the picture. I guess this is where your artistic talent comes in - you clearly have the talent so please persevere and show us how this develops for you.

Real Name
    Binnur

Vaez and Mark, thank you very much for your encouraging comments

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

The second image is outstanding, unfortunately you have to deal with the folks sitting there, a not so easy proposition for long exposures.

Real Name
    Steven

Beautiful colors, beautiful shots.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Binnur: the Lee big stopper has a cool cast, where as the B&W has a warm one, both go to 10 stops, the Singh-Ray is neutral however only goes to 8-stops. And just a piece of info, some cameras when taking long exposures you can get light leaking in from the viewfinder, I found this on my full frame D600. What I do is carry a wool watchcap in my camera bag that I put on top of the camera over the viewfinder, and if it is cold out it is on my head until I need it for the shot.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Haseeb and Steven

Haseeb- It is impossible to see that cafe empty in summer time, so I had to accept the situation . For the time being I'm just learning and practising anyway

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Binnur,

Just to say that that little corner of sand looks perfect to me... About the people.. Perhaps for the next session take two exposures and combine them. Anyhow beautiful image!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast