Thread: Question to 50D users

Question to 50D users

Hi everyone! I'm reading book of Brian Peterson "understanding exposure". In one of the exercise he asks to set the speed dial to ISO 200 and to set an aperture to f.8. Then I have to adjust my shutter speed until the correct exposure is indicated in the viewfinder. The problem is I don't know what does indicate the correct exposure and how? Is it related to green point in the right side of viewfinder?

Re: Question to 50D users

The green dot when solid is telling you that you're locked on focus, if it blinks it's not. Your exposure meter is in the center bottom of the same info bar; it's the bar scale with -2 to +2.. The center pointer signifies proper exposure, adjust shutter speeds until it hits center.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...VIEWFINDER.HTM

Quote Originally Posted by Banner1976 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm reading book of Brian Peterson "understanding exposure". In one of the exercise he asks to set the speed dial to ISO 200 and to set an aperture to f.8. Then I have to adjust my shutter speed until the correct exposure is indicated in the viewfinder. The problem is I don't know what does indicate the correct exposure and how? Is it related to green point in the right side of viewfinder?
    At the bottom of the 50D viewfinder you will see some marker points. In the middle is a marker larger than the others - that is correct exposure. To either side of that you will have a '1' and '2' figures which represent 1 and 2 stops over or under exposure (under is to the left). Is that what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    At the bottom of the 50D viewfinder you will see some marker points. In the middle is a marker larger than the others - that is correct exposure. To either side of that you will have a '1' and '2' figures which represent 1 and 2 stops over or under exposure (under is to the left). Is that what you meant?
    Yeah, that is what I meant. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    The green dot when solid is telling you that you're locked on focus, if it blinks it's not. Your exposure meter is in the center bottom of the same info bar; it's the bar scale with -2 to +2.. The center pointer signifies proper exposure, adjust shutter speeds until it hits center.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...VIEWFINDER.HTM
    Thank you. Since I have bought my 50D I was thinking what is that scale in the middle. Thank you very much.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Banner1976 View Post
    Thank you. Since I have bought my 50D I was thinking what is that scale in the middle. Thank you very much.
    Although ...

... having just said that, be aware that "in the centre" is only "correct" for certain types of scene. I wrote a bit about metering here and here if your interested in some more in-depth reading