Thread: Does anyone use a Graphics tablet for photo editing?

Real Name
    Zach

Does anyone use a Graphics tablet for photo editing?

Does anyone here use a graphics tablet like a wacom for photo editing? And if anyone does, can anyone give me any recommendations or reasons why you like it better than a mouse and keyboard?

Thanks everyone,
    Zach

Re: Does anyone use a Graphics tablet for photo editing?

I use one that was a cast-off from my son in law. It's an older Wacom (can't remember the model). It took a bit of getting used to, and I keep a mouse attached for those rare occasions when Windows forgets the tablet is attached, or someone else uses my PC. I am now comfortable with it, and it is particularly valuable for editing in LR (and occasionally PSE), precisely delineating areas with adjustment brushes. Years ago I used a digitiser at work exclusively instead of a mouse (for CAD), so I knew it was just a matter of practice and habit.

Problems: using the push tip of the pen as a click-equivalent is still a bit awkward. The tip slips on the tablet surface if you hold it at too much of an angle so doesn't always register as a "click": so I press a bit harder, and eventually the finger tips get a bit tired. This may be because the tablet is an old model. The surface texture and sensitivity may now be better calibrated. I've been meaning to try the latest Intuos model to see how it has changed. Mine is relatively small (5" x 3.5"), but I don't feel the need for a bigger. If it was too big I'd have to move my wrist too much.
    Also, the button on the pen, the right-click equivalent is often in the wrong place because the pen has turned in my fingers. Again, this may be better in current models.

Real Name
    steve

Zach,

I have just recently aquired a new Trust tablet to replace one of some vintage but in all honesty it doesn't get used as much as perhaps it should because in my case I have used a trackball mouse for many years and I'm more adept with that in the vast majority of cases - the one area where I find a tablet is better is for fine 'brushwork' in layers, dodging etc.

steve

Real Name
    Dave

I use a Bamboo Pen ctl-470, which is a "small" (and inexpensive) tablet, and I do find it useful when using Lightroom (which is my main photo editor), but I would not present myself as any kind of expert.

I find it works best on "drawing" type of actions: brushes, cropping, filters and so on, but less well on sliders (it's ok, I just find a mouse easier). Unless I am missing something, you can't get to the keyboard short cuts through the tablet.

I have a rather strange set up. For reasons which I think were sound, when mouses first came out I decided to learn to use the mouse left handed, though I am right handed, which is what I now routinely do.

So, I have the tablet under my right hand, the mouse in my left hand, and the keyboard a little further away. That way I have easy access to all three, and simply use whichever seems most appropriate.

You do have to remember to lift the pen off the tablet before moving the mouse, or else things can get rather confusing

You also have to remember that the tablet works by absolute position, and the mouse - well, the way they do.

I know it sounds horrendous, but it works for me . But seriously, with a tablet that doesn't have lots of function keys, I couldn't manage with it on its own.

Dave

You also have to remember where you left the pen (why did I put it down in another room?) and that you cannot use it to take telephone notes.

I've used a Wacom for years. It took some getting used to and my PC tecchie hates it and refuses to do anything on my machine until I supply the mouse!

Whilst I don't do a lot of editing it gets used for everything I do on the office PC at home. Opening emails, accessing programs - it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Mine is A5 sized. It's reliable and it's now quite old. Sometimes grit gets on the pad and the plastic tip catches it that is annoying but then agains is the vague cordless mouse I have at the main office and the corded mouse the other terminals here have.

You'll need more than five minutes to get used to it, that's certain.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Zach. I got the Wacom Bamboo about three years ago and wouldn't think about using the mouse for post processing anything but the simplest point and click items with the mouse now. For me, there simply isn't an easier way to accurately move a pointer than with a pen. Try using a mouse to sign your name and you'll see the difference it can make in drawing accurately.

Real Name
    Dan

I've got a Bamboo and don't use it at all. I've used a Logitech trackball for years and have developed the necessary dexterity with it to be quite accurate. But after long use I begin to get wrist pain. So I got the Bamboo for ergonomic reasons. But if anything it is worse than either mouse or trackball from that perspective. At least in my case. So it sits unused.

From the little that I did use it I will say it definitely takes some getting used to. Don't assume it is as simple as using a pencil.

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks for all the replies guys !

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I don't, but I should...I would challenge you to find an instructor that doesn't use them.

I wouldn't consider doing photo editing without one, Zach.

But then, I do a lot with layers and masks. In fact, virtually all my images get edited like this in some way.

If you want an illustration of the difference. Try writing your name on a piece of paper, then do the same on your screen using the mouse, and compare the difference.

For me, the bigger the tablet the better. At the moment I use an old Wacom which is 12 ins square. This makes fine editing much easier. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 10 x 8 ins.

I did get an 8 x 5 Wacom, before seeing the secondhand larger option. It just about worked but I found it rather fiddly to use. Then when I recently moved up to a bigger screen, I tried it again; and very quickly threw it in the trash bin. Back to using the older larger version now.

OK I still use a mouse for some text work, where the large tablet gets in the way a bit and I have to keep picking up and putting down the pen. But for detailed drawing of selections or brushing over masks when photo editing it is the larger tablet for me every time.

My first drawing tablets were cheapies (10 x 8 size) but they worked fine although in each case they failed after a couple of years. Still good value though.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post

For me, the bigger the tablet the better. At the moment I use an old Wacom which is 12 ins square. This makes fine editing much easier. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 10 x 8 ins.
    Geoff

What do you think about mapping the tablet into a smaller area? I got a medium size and it seems a big since I mapped my active area into a small portion of the tablet.That way I can move across the screen faster, easier and less tiring.

Dean

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Geoff - I've been using a Wacom (an Intous 2) for many years; a medium sized one. My guess it's around 5" x 8" (about 12cm x 20cm). I had a chance to use a larger one before buying and found that it required too much arm movement. I can do some very fine edits quite nicely.

When I look at a tablet versus a mouse; I find photo editing with a mouse rather like watching a young child colouring with a crayon firmly in his or her fist. The large arm muscles and medium sized wrist muscles control the mouse and one has limited fine motor control. A tablet, with a stylus is like using a pen or pencil; where the tiny muscles in your fingers do the controling.

As others have said, there is a learning curve that does take most people a few days to perhaps a week or so to master; after that, one rarely goes back to the mouse for anything other than some really simple edits. I use the pen tool a lot for making selections and cannot imagine using it with a mouse.

I had tried setting a smaller tablet to cover just portions of the screen but I was always going outside of my area and that just caused confusion for me.

Much of what I do is creating fairly large selections or editing a mask with fairly long brush strokes; like working on a sky for example. Long strokes but the ability to be fairly precise.

Some people seem able to do small and accurate drawing in a small area but I still struggle with a large area to work on!

So extra arm movements are a necessity for me.

Real Name
    John

A mouse involves wrist/finger movement to eye co ordination a tablet is inclined to need co ordinated movement of the forearm/arm and fingers too and even the whole arm at large sizes. Tablets most certainly are at the best when used like that especially at larger sizes. I'd guess many people never make the transition to using them this way what ever size they use and stick to pure wrist/finger movements and only move their arm when they have to.

Sorry but most peoples hand/finger/wrist co ordination is way better than their arms - try typing with just arm movement for instance. Some people can sketch and draw well, some can't. An artist is likely to use the lot all at the same time. Using a tablet to it's fullest extent needs the same sort of skills.

I have both but find I can paint 2 pixels wide strips etc in the correct place easily purely with the mouse. My mouse at slow speeds covers a 27in diagonal with about 2 1/2 in of movement. I've been using a mouse for all sorts of things for rather a long time so I find it relatively easy and for fine down to 1 or 2 pixel wide work would need 200% or 400% magnification anyway what ever I used in order to see the work that has to be done clearly.

John
    -

My previous experience was with a 12x12 CAD digitiser, which I used more for graphics than CAD. I had no trouble learning to move my arm/wrist, but my preference now is for the smaller tablet which needs mainly wrist/finger movement, and is precise enough for me. The mouse on the other hand, I hold at a slight angle, so I find using it to follow a specific line on the image confusing.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I take it that no one uses the Cintiq version...I've toyed with idea of getting one.

Real Name
    Sharon

I have one..it doesn't feel instinctive in the slightest.

I don't use it.

Real Name
    John

Mine is a Hanvon. They are rather well made but sometimes lag a little bit behind THAT make that most seem to feel they have to use.. Currently it's an A4 one chosen as it fits nicely under my keyboard when not in use. It's pressure and tilt sensitive etc

Sharon has probably used a mouse a lot. Most have these days.

Cintiq ? No way would I would go back to a basic HD low resolution display - and that's the big one if 22in can be considered big. I feel they are more suitable for graphic artists.

John
    -

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Hi Zach,

both Manfred and John make some very good points about the use of arm, wrist and fingers and how that varies by input method and is influenced by prior experience, though my personal preference is more in line with what Geoff has written as I:

a. haven't used anything but a tablet for years, no mouse on my desk.
    b. the bigger the tablet the better, preferably something in the A3+ region.

However, it does depend on what you want to do with the tablet and what your background is.

In the days when I did a lot of pre-press work all the preparatory work for layout and design was done with pen and paper, on anything up to A1 sheets. So while I do use the fine precision of fingertip control for some detailing and retouching I am also used to using the whole arm as a result of sketching all those layouts and designs on paper. As such I find most tablets rather constrain the creative flow, they just don't have the space to allow the freedom of movement that promotes a relaxed 'looseness' in the arm that allows for a more dynamic expression.

On the other hand if you don't sketch and your only use is going to be focussed on detailed retouching of photographs then a smaller tablet (~A5) is probably going to be more appropriate.

Also have a think about additional controls, I would be very reluctant to part with the additional controls on the Intuos Pro, particularly the touch ring.

@ Chauncey: I don't use a Cintiq but while working away from my desk I do use an Intel i5 tablet (running Windows 8.1, Photoshop CC and LR) that has a Wacom powered pressure sensitive stylus. It's such a nice way to work that a Cintiq for working at my desk is becoming a very serious consideration.

Cheers,
    A