Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gotham City Shoot

Gotham City Shoot

Inspired by Marvel Comics and that dark Gotham City atmosphere. Not sure if I have succeeded. C&C very welcome. PS Got fed up with the roses and puppy dogs.

Gotham City Shoot

Gotham City Shoot

Gotham City Shoot

Gotham City Shoot

Gotham City Shoot

Real Name
    John

Re: Gotham City Shoot

Steve, great photos, especially the reds. Are you familiar with the Red Light School of Photography where intense reds are used to draw the viewer into the scene?

Real Name
    Wendy

Quite a jump from roses and puppydogs. I like the first one because to me the eyes look angry. I also like the last one because the fence is gone. Somehow I just don't get the wire fence. Maybe if it was sharper it would have more impact

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Inspired by Marvel Comics and that dark Gotham City atmosphere. Not sure if I have succeeded. C&C very welcome. PS Got fed up with the roses and puppy dogs.
    Now these are different!

#2 and #4 work best for me;
    #2 for the composition, #4 for the extras, the lips and hair, adding to the eyes.

#1 has a distracting, well lit, sequin in the centre of the forehead.
    #3 is framed a bit to far left for me.
    #5 has a little too much black space on the left. To be cliched, perhaps with the two points of interest on the thirds would have been better?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Cor number four; not like Laura Ashley though.

Thankyou for the comments lady and gents. Dave I have noted your observations since I want to do more work on the batch that these came from.

Wendy, I agree about the netting. It may be little sharper. Actually it was very sharp I scrapped all down my arms trying to get it into the house (sssh don't tell WireVixen). I look like a Leigther (person from Leigh, Lancs) from the seventies after a ferret grooming competition.

Shadowman, I couldn't find anything about 'Red Light School of Photography' ( I got a Wikipedia return relating to brothels though) sound intriguing...the photography, not the brothel

Steve

Real Name
    John

Steve,

My mistake, it is actually "the red shirt school of photography". Hope the diversion didn't cause any problems.

Thankyou for the comments lady and gents. Dave I have noted your observations since I want to do more work on the batch that these came from.

Wendy, I agree about the netting. It may be little sharper. Actually it was very sharp I scrapped all down my arms trying to get it into the house (sssh don't tell WireVixen). I look like a Leigther (person from Leigh, Lancs) from the seventies after a ferret grooming competition.

Shadowman, I couldn't find anything about 'Red Light School of Photography' ( I got a Wikipedia return relating to brothels though) sound intriguing...the photography, not the brothel

Steve

Real Name
    John

http://www.snap2objects.com/2009/02/...in-colors-red/

This link has some more examples of "red shirt photography".

Real Name
    António Correia

Gotham City Shoot Gotham City Shoot
    These are for me the best shots. No doubt. The others are also good but these...
    The one on the left deserved to be placed in "my" SCP (provocation)

I read quickly the other posts and my opinion on these two shots are as follow:

The one on the left is particularly interesting for the hole composition, the spots in the eyes - can't remember the correct name now - and those stripes just in front of us, in the foreground.
    I wonder if you flipped the image making her to look to our right wouldn't be more interesting than like this... I don't know.

The second one is very good indeed and it's balance is nice. The face on the right side and the dark area on the other. I like that.

However, the black canvas doesn't make the images pop does it ? You mean so don't you Steve ?

Your images are always shall I say different, from the others...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep, the 40D is beginning to buzz!

Have had a look several times, thinking of something sensible to say through the unremitting agony of my shoulder (see earlier post - all sympathy gratefully accepted!).

I realised I was looking at them as portraits, rather than abstract shapes, which is what I've done before even when there have been hands/arms/faces in shot. And, I think because of that, keep going to #4, because it shows a face, rather than 'just' an eye or eyes. Not sure I'm making sense to myself, but I think I know what I mean.

But, at least we know that your imagination and vision has survived the transition to the 40D.

My mistake, it is actually "the red shirt school of photography". Hope the diversion didn't cause any problems.
    No problem Shadowman it was worth the wait. There are some inspiring images on that site. It has certainly got me thinking again.

The one on the left deserved to be placed in "my" SCP (provocation)
    Antonio, against my better judgement I have posted in your SCP area. Although it is like hanging an old pair of old Y-fronts on Marilyn Monroe's underwear line. You comments are much appreciated.

Your images are always shall I say different, from the others...
    ahh then I am reaching my photographic goal

Not sure I'm making sense to myself, but I think I know what I mean.

But, at least we know that your imagination and vision has survived the transition to the 40D.
    No, its makes perfect sense. WireVixen really loves that image. I am trying to achieve some thing with the body part shots that is not quite there yet. I am getting used to the camera now and do not have to waste quite so much time on the technical bits (yawn). Although....I will let you in on a secret. I shot all these at ISO 500 by mistake

Both you and your shoulder have my deepest sympathy . So mend soon so we can see more of those excellent b/w shots....thats an order

Steve