Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: DxO 9 vs Photoshop RAW Converter

Real Name
    E. James

DxO 9 vs Photoshop RAW Converter

Both are very good. DxO 9 left Photoshop CC Right.

but...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: DxO 9 vs Photoshop RAW Converter

Ed,

Sorry, but this kind of comparison is simply meaningless as it's going to depend totally on the settings and profiles selected for each converter.

Real Name
    E. James

Not so. I carefully used a limited number of controls in a very studied and very reasonable manner to obtain as similar a result as possible. After ten experiments, all of which were almost identical in their outcome, I chose this one as being most demonstrative of each programs RAW conversion. It is what it is...

Real Name

Sorry, but I disagree. The image on the left has more sharpening, more saturation, and more contrast; the ACR version could easily be adjusted to better match the DxO example. If that were an accurate comparison then I doubt any photographer would ever want to use ACR as the ACR result as you've posted there is hideous by comparison, and I can tell you now having processed hundreds of thousands of images in ACR that it can do a heck of a lot better than that.

Real Name

PS: You might find this interesting ...

http://mikepasini.com/corners/2013/1...view/index.htm

Real Name
    E. James

Well after a few hours I discovered that the RAW sharpener and RAW Contrast together with resharpening in Photoshop and very careful adjustment of Saturation and Levels did produce as good if not better results. Sometimes I bang my head against the wall, sometimes the wall bangs me!

Real Name
    Dave

Taking it wider, this is (at least it seems to me) a rather thorough comparison of RAW converters, and the conclusion would not I think be obvious from the starting line up

http://www.nomadlens.com/raw-converters-comparison

Dave

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    Well after a few hours I discovered that the RAW sharpener and RAW Contrast together with resharpening in Photoshop and very careful adjustment of Saturation and Levels did produce as good if not better results. Sometimes I bang my head against the wall, sometimes the wall bangs me!
    Told ya so

In all seriousness, both are cutting-edge converters and I'd be surprised if - in the right hands - there was anything more than simple "personal preference" between them. My only issue with DxO (aside from it's horrible interface) is that last time I checked it didn't support a DNG filetype as an input file (the reason for which I understand was more political/commercial than technical). Not sure if it does now or not, but it's somewhat of a moot point for me because I use a 100% Adobe workflow and a 100% DNG workflow -- and it works well for me.

Real Name
    Dave Swinnerton

Hi I have read, all the comments made with great interest, and the review made comparisons, I have done some testing myself.
    I used a set of test images from the same camera under different conditions, I would process the images in the different raw converterrs, with the aim to produce the best processed images in each, then and only after I had completed all the images, I would then view first in a slideshow first selecting the one the looked the best,, then I would look at each at 70% and selecting the one that looked good at that.

Right the software used were light room 5 Corel after shot pro 2 capture one 7 express, DxO 9 pro I found that capture one and DxO gave the sharpest and most detailed, capture one produced the best dynamic range out of all.

The. Poorest was after shot then light room 5,,over all the one that produced the best capture one 7.

Dave

Real Name
    E. James

I downloaded Capture One today and found I could see little difference between it and Photoshop CC. But I am still tinkering as I am new to Capture One. I guess I have to confess that my interest is purely academic. I get beautiful prints using my D7100 and Eposon 3800. In fact, the Epson works so well all of the time that I am beginning to think it is alive!

Real Name
    Dave Swinnerton

Hi Ed, I noticed a stand out difference, if I leave sharpening at zero, and use clarity and structure, mainly structure, as this brings out the natural sharpness of the image, when I tried to replicate the sharpness in light room you start to get artifacts in the image, which I don't get in capture one 7, maybe it's me not using light room's sharpening correctly and clarity doesn't bring out the very fine detail as I get with capture one.

Don't get me wrong, light room does a descent job, but when I put the two images on the screen together, you can see the difference in detail, if you look into the fine detail area, also, I found high light and shadow area's CO7 does a better job of recovery.

I use an Olympus em5, I get no is less images up to 6400 I so printed at A3+ without noise reduction and no increased sharpning in capture one 7 , whereas in light room I have to in crease sharpening and noise reduction, at the cost of fine detail.

Maybe adobe don't process Olympus raw very well, it don't seem to get the best out of my images.

All I can say is capture one produces the best images from raw for me, I so much wanted light room 5 to be at least equal as it is much cheaper than capture one!.

Dave

Real Name
    E. James

Thanks Dave, Yes Structure works well. Obviously with proper exposure and a lot of pixels, post-production is much easier. More and more I study the histogram and work it simultaneously with the image. Capture One has depth there is no doubt about that and the company is serious minded. I also like that DxO supplies consumers with so much information from their studies of lenses and cameras. It seems that much of what we buy when we buy a digital camera is sensor quality control. This is why (among other things) a Nikon D4s is so sharp and colors so perfect.

This image was processed in Capture One Pro but, I have to confess, I used Photoshop CC to tweak sharpening, crop and export as JEPG in sRGB color space for WWW. Photoshop is such a convenient bag of tools it seems indispensable to me. Toys really all toys but cheaper than buying a Harley!

Real Name
    Dave Swinnerton

Hi yes I agree that PS what ever flavour is good at lots of things, but I think Capture one 7 pro or express and Dxo excell in what they are raw converter, I don't apply any sharpening to my images I only use structure in CO7 and or local contrast the EM5 is incredibly sharp and very detailed, the EM5 and EM1 is the best camera Olympus have made so far and the M4/3rds lenses to go with so I needed software that would extract it.

Dave

Real Name
    E. James

Another effort with Photoshop CC judge for yourself.

It may simply prove what has been stated. There are just too many variables to make any conclusion and you get better or worse at it with experience in dealing with an image and a program minus the time of day plus the number of times your wife reminds you to mow the lawn

Real Name
    E. James

OK, yes, same as above but less red (lower saturation). Too sharp? Mind going numb. error, error, error...

Real Name
    Dennis Soans

I downloaded the DxO 9 Pro and used it on some of my high ISO (> 1600) captures. I am impressed with the Noise reduction but when using the PRIME option (for noise) it is heavy on my i7 8 GB RAM Win 7 machine with 2 GB GPU - chews up 100% CPU for almost a minute.

The left is PP in LR 5.4 and right is DxO 9.0 PRO - handheld with 3200 ISO, f/5.0,1/20 sec, 35mm:

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dennis - you seem to have found the same thing I have; if I just don't like what ACR has done, I will run the RAW file through DxO Optics Pro and most of the time I prefer it and use it as my starting point. You are correct; DxO Optics is rather resource hungry compared to ACR, and I can't say I love the interface, but I do like the results.