Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 500D - HDR help.

Canon 500D - HDR help.

Hi all, just joined the forum today, looking for some friendly help.

I got myself a Cannon 500D to play with a while back, as i been getting into urban exploration round nz.
    Feel free to check out my shoots so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/djhertz/

Got myself a little gorilla-pod to play with, started getting into doing HDR.
    here is my first attempt with hrd.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/djhertz...62552/sizes/l/

I just trying to get my head around HDR, i have been connecting my 500d to my net-book, and using the eos utility software to capture 3 different shots with -3, 0 and +3 (or is it -2 0, +2) exposures.

Is there a way to setup a manual shot that will take all 3 exposures (or what ever number i choose) with one click on the button, instead of changing it each time on the camera?

I know there is a "Manual" shooting mode within the camera, so i guess its a matter of playing with that feature.

Any help will be great!

Cheers
    Jon.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

re: Canon 500D - HDR help.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjungle View Post
    Is there a way to setup a manual shot that will take all 3 exposures (or what ever number i choose) with one click on the button, instead of changing it each time on the camera?
    Hi Jon,

Short answer is "probably".

I'm not familiar with the setup of a 500D, but for most other EOS cameras, there's 2 things you need to do:

1. Set the camera for bracketing (should be in the manual)

2. Set the drive mode for multiple shots

Then you just press and hold the button - the camera will take the shots and then stop.

Hope this helps,

PS: You've probably got a Canon as opposed to a Cannon ... the first takes great shots - the 2nd fires great shots on a battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Jon,
    PS: You've probably got a Canon as opposed to a Cannon ... the first takes great shots - the 2nd fires great shots on a battlefield
    Thanks mate, that little comment made me laugh. I tend to do that alot with my words.

Note to self, Canon with one N.

After a quick little google search "500D bracketing"
    I found details on page 86 of the Canon 500D userguide:
    http://files.canon-europe.com/files/...0D_EN_Flat.pdf
    For anyone else's information.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Jon;

Welcome! I use the 500D, and I can give a couple of tips. I'm sure these are all in the manual, but may not be collected close together.

You can use the quick control screen (press "set") to set AEB. This is easier than menu, as far as I'm concerned. Use the cross keys to highlight the exposure compensation control, which is in the upper middle. Use "set" to select this. This will bring you to the Exposure Comp./AEB screen. In this screen, the left/right cross keys will change exposure compensation, and the control wheel will change AEB. One tip: in <M> mode, you can just highlight the exposure compensation control and use the control wheel. The control wheel in other creative modes controls exposure compensation, so you have to hit "set" to get to the secondary screen.

If you're in single-shot mode, you'll have to click 3 times. The LCD display will gray out most of the items after the first shot of a 3-shot sequence, and come back after the 3rd, to let you know you're in the middle of a sequence.

If you're in continuous drive mode, you can just hold down the button, as Colin says. Normally, continuous mode will fire a burst at maximum fps, then as many as the buffer and chip will keep up with, but in AEB, it will fire 3 and stop until you release and press it again.

Any of the remote/self-timer modes will fire the 3 shots for you. One thing that's pretty handy is to switch to the 2-second self-timer. That keeps your hands off the camera when it fires, as well, which is a good thing. And of course, if you want to get yourself in the shot, the regular self timer would work (stand very still ).

A wired remote (RS-60) acts like pressing the shutter button, so you have to press 3 times, or hold it in continuous mode. The RC-1 wireless remote causes the camera to fire the 3 shots in AEB. I like to use the RC-1 for HDR, since I don't have to touch the camera at all.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks Rick & Colin, this is perfect. I will look at getting a remote anyway, i could see that been very useful.
    I am looking forward to getting home from work and trying this out.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers
    Jon

Re: Canon 500D - HDR help.

Hi Jon Another way is to set your AEB then set the camera to timer (10 sec) and press and release the shutter button that should give you the three exposures you require.

John