Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Going home

Going home

Going home

Shooting data: Canon 40D + Canon EFS 18-200mm f/4.5-5.6 @ f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 100, handheld.

Sometimes playing golf pays off I met this sweetie at a golf course. My biology knowledge is minimal, so I have no idea what animal it is - looks a bit like a squirrel but doesn't walk like a squirrel, eats grass and lives underground (here standing right in front of the "main door"). So my bet is some kind of a ground squirrel. Any ideas?
    Last edited by agaace; 12th March 2010 at 07:55 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Going home

I think that's an excellent wildlife photograph. The focus seems, to my old eyes, bang-on and the subject is brought out from the background. The animal may be aware of your presence, but, if so, seems unconcerned.

And ... I haven't a clue what it is.

Nice capture, Agata, You got him just right. He's a handsome beast, but no idea what he is. Probably a variety of squirrel? What's his handicap?

Real Name
    Wendy

So my bet is some kind of a ground squirrel. Any ideas?
    I believe it's a groundhog otherwise known as Prarrie dog, marmot, woodchuck. Your shot is better than the one on the National Geographic site. Nice!

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...groundhog.html

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Your shot is better than the one on the National Geographic site. Nice!

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...groundhog.html
    I do believe it is!

Great capture.

Don't get to close, prairie dogs are reservoirs for the bacteria that causes plague (Yersinia pestis).
    Last edited by Cadebou; 12th March 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: changed groundhogs to prairie dogs

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Cadebou View Post
    Don't get to close, groundhogs are reservoirs for the bacteria that causes plague (Yersinia pestis).
    What other forum can offer this sort of quality of information and advice? Y'see, we really are the best. We have an amazing array of professions on board?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Y'see, we really are the best. We have an amazing array of professions on board?
    Hey! Don't forget the total wasters such as myself...

Actually I think it's a Californian Ground Squirrel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_ground_squirrel
    Groundhogs have slightly different shape of ears, don't really have this white fur around eyes etc.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by agaace View Post
    Actually I think it's a Californian Ground Squirrel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_ground_squirrel
    Groundhogs have slightly different shape of ears, don't really have this white fur around eyes etc.
    Agaace: I think you are right. The groundhogs (gophers) here in Canada are chubbier and have stubby tails compared to this one. They are all in the same family though, and it appears there are many varieties. Photography is so eductional. I didn't know this stuff before.
    Your photo also brought to mind the movie Caddyshack. I wonder if this one is giving the groundskeepers a run for their money.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice shot! You nailed it. Looks like a ground squirrel to me. Not shure what species. This is a groundhog.......................

Going home

Real Name
    Steve

Superb photo. ~

I like your photo's though especially dark bridges and would hope you post here more often than you do.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th March 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Arith, I just mentioned I was lucky enough to find an interesting animal in such an uninteresting place as a golf course. ~ EOT.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th March 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Real Name
    Myra

Agaace,that is so clear and nicely composed. We have squirrels and groundhogs (nasty little beasts), but none quite like your fellow. I'll have to start following my husband around the golf course to see if I can rustle up any foxes or deer. Oh, he's going to love that....