Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photographers Block

Photographers Block

I am suffering from this condition at present. It feels like the camera is a vegetable (or fruit in this case). I think it may have something to do with the new camera. Too much thought given to trying to get used to the thing and not enough time thinking about concepts.

Photographers Block

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Photographers Block

I see the problem - you're trying to attach a mechanical shutter release to a DSLR: no wonder it isn't firing.

Seriously, a fun shot. It's showing up a little dark on my screen: I'm losing some of the details at the ends of the shutter release, so maybe bringing up the shadows would be nice.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I am suffering from this condition at present.
    Frankly, I don't see much evidence of it. I always think I have a good imagination, but yours always seems to come up with something better.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Steve,

I am suffering from this condition at present. It feels like the camera is a vegetable (or fruit in this case). I think it may have something to do with the new camera. Too much thought given to trying to get used to the thing and not enough time thinking about concepts.
    I'm with Rob; I can hardly take this seriously when you give us shots like this.

But just in case you, or anyone else that has recently acquired a new bit of kit, really are feeling it, I would say;
    Fear not, use the new toy until it becomes second nature and the old priorities will come back to the fore. As you say, you currently have to think too much about how to take the shot, rather than what's in the shot and how that's composed and lit.

That said Steve, you're still doing better than most of us

Thanks Gents. I am feeling a little more positive now. The image was based on the fact I have the block so I suppose I snookered myself there.

But just in case you, or anyone else that has recently acquired a new bit of kit, really are feeling it, I would say;
    Fear not, use the new toy until it becomes second nature and the old priorities will come back to the fore. As you say, you currently have to think too much about how to take the shot, rather than what's in the shot and how that's composed and lit.
    Dave I know, you are right. Now I have actually got over the initial buzz of having a DSLR at all..the 450D. The new camera itself (the 40D) just seems a necessary means to an end(I will never be a gear head). I will have to force myself to go through the puppy dogs and roses phase again so that the handling becomes second nature.

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I will have to force myself to go through the puppy dogs and roses phase again so that the handling becomes second nature.
    But perhaps not spiked by leather boots with BIG heels
    (signed) Squeamish Male

Real Name
    Steve

I still turn the knobs the wrong way on mine, it has never been on any setting but manual but I still take the first shot of the day as if it was point and shoot. Then I put my thinking cap on and if it fits I'm ok otherwise I may as well have not bothered. Nice photo by the way.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I still turn the knobs the wrong way on mine
    I've been known to look through the viewfinder at night and have to think for 10 seconds as to why I can't see any thing ... check viewfinder shutter - check focus ... doh! ...

... lens cap!