Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Creek

Real Name
    Steve

Winter Creek

Shot a few landscapes in the woods, before all the snow melts. Critique welcome.

Canon 40D>f/18>iso 100>1/15s>single exposure>sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm

Winter Creek

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Winter Creek

Very nice: a nice shadow effect in the foam. I do find one thing a bit distracting: there's a thin branch from a tree that's cropped out on the right. It starts from the right edge just down from the top, and follows a tilted bathtub shape. It draws my eye. I imagine it would be a good bit of work to clone it out, but maybe lighten it a little?

Cheers,
    Rick

Steve

I like the composition - nicely balanced but I think a slightly faster or slower shutter speed would have been more effective. You had...

ISO200 (or even ISO400) on f/16 would have frozen the water more. Or, putting an ND filter or polarizer on with the original settings would have slowed the water flow down and created a milky look (some people don't like that). Good composition though, and the exposure is nicely balanced.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks rick, i often thought of bringing pruners with me. This was a first shoot of this spot, so next time i will do some pruning ahead of time. You wouldn't believe what i cleaned out of the way already.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks rob. I don't have a ND filter(or any filters ). I stopped down to f/18. I wanted a little slower, but didn't want to push it any more. Should have waited till after the sun set but an 8 hour hike with all my gear was enough for one day. I like this spot though and will def. reshoot sometime.

Real Name
    Steve

Here is a black and white converted with DXO and LR. I really like b&w's, but don't have much experience converting them. Now that i have a couple programs that edit in 16bit i can play around a little.

Winter Creek

Real Name
    Rick

Very nice: I like this.

Maybe it's just me, but I get a really different feel from the B&W. The color version feels like spring is here, but snow hanging on in spots. The B&W gives more of an impression of "A first sign of spring, but don't be surprised if there's some more winter to come."

Cheers,
    Rick