Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Queen Vic

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Queen Vic

Ron

Re your question in MONOCHROME Mini Competition #2, I think the second of the images is too harsh. It feels as if there's been too much contrast applied.

So, the first is my preferred one. As far as it is concerned:
    1. Does it need a clockwise rotation. It feels as if it's leaning to the left.
    2. What do you think about a little sharpen? Then put on a black layer mask to then hide the sharpening and then, with a white paintbrush, reveal the sharpening on, a) the upper part of the ship; i.e. not the hull; b) the harbour wall in front of the sheds; c) the sheds and; d) the trees.
    3. And that's all!

Others may have different ideas (and when they do I always think - Why didn't I see that?)

Real Name
    Ron

Re: Queen Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ron
    Re your question ...I think the second of the images is too harsh. It feels as if there's been too much contrast applied.
    Thanks Donald ... not much to change ha! Been at it for a while today so will have a crack at your suggestions another day. Interestingly, the second one follows the 'book suggestions' more closely eg contrast etc. Looking through various monochrome submissions in our forums, its clear that some favour good contrast and others softer ... also 'subject matter' conditioned of course.
    Onwards and upwards ... hopefully.

Real Name
    Ron

Re: Queen Vic

Hei Donald,
    Looks like this big boat is a non starter in the comp so I think I will 'bury it' and try something else. My 'guitar tuning' close up also is doing badly ... I was quite pleased with this one, light reflection and all.
    Ah well, standing around smiling is inappropriate so I have changed my avitar to 'chainsawing' ... now I feel better