Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

**Warning** All images Topaz and Photomatix Free!

A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

A walk in the Park

Re: A walk in the Park

5 is perfect. Very relaxing. Makes me want to pause there for a while, sit on the bench and contemplate the world.

Really good set Steve. I was surprised that the EXIF said that flash did not fire so I am intrigued. the 3rd 4th and 6th images are winners for me. this is a very good example to show beyond doubt that simplicity in an image grabs the attention of the viewer. The more complex back drops in 1, 2 and 5 are true to life as it were but that in itself can make an image mundane. I sway between tree hugger type sentiments and Capability Brown on nature shots. Capability has won here....you can improve on the inherent aesthetics of nature

Steve

Real Name
    Rick

I love 1 and 5. The "spotlight" effect in 1, almost like vignette (but isn't) really draws the eyes.

Did you add noise in 6? It looks grainy, but EXIF says ISO 160.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Duc

How can i take photos like no. 3? How to make the background all black like that? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Really good set Steve. I was surprised that the EXIF said that flash did not fire so I am intrigued. the 3rd 4th and 6th images are winners for me. this is a very good example to show beyond doubt that simplicity in an image grabs the attention of the viewer.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, Yes you're right the speedlight stayed in the bag, all of these (except the vertical pan) were on tripod using available light (around 10AM). Recently I have been forcing myself to look for the simple things that stand out in a scene, I used to have a tendency to try and get EVERYTHING in to the frame because it looked so good to my eye but doesn't easily translate that way in the camera. A case of less is more I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    I love 1 and 5. The "spotlight" effect in 1, almost like vignette (but isn't) really draws the eyes.

Did you add noise in 6? It looks grainy, but EXIF says ISO 160.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Hi Rick, Err... actually I did add a bit of vignette to that one for that very effect - glad it worked
    And yes added a lot of grain to that one - just liked the effect it gave. All processing done within Lightroom. It's actually a single blade from a flax bush that was growing up through the decking next to the lake, here is another view of it for comparison:

A walk in the Park

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean View Post
    How can i take photos like no. 3? How to make the background all black like that? :-?
    Hi there, The tree was pretty much backlit by the sun and the distant background while being visibly 'light' to the eye was considerably darker than the highlights in the tree. Here is a view of what it looked like to the 'eye'.

A walk in the Park

In lightroom I drag down the shadows and darks (equivalent in photoshop I guess is levels or curves) and then if I want to get rid of even more background clutter I use a local adjustment brush and 'brush' down the exposure - very easy and quick. Yes I 'm a lightroom convert - can't speak too highly of it now that I've been using it for 6 months or so.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    Hi Rick, Err... actually I did add a bit of vignette to that one for that very effect - glad it worked
    It really worked for my eyes.

Does Lightroom let you set the centerpoint, or did you crop after doing that step? Or was the original light of the scene such that the vignette effect doesn't leave the normal through-a-barrel view effect?

Cheers!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Does Lightroom let you set the centerpoint, or did you crop after doing that step? Or was the original light of the scene such that the vignette effect doesn't leave the normal through-a-barrel view effect?
    Fully customizable Rick, one box for pre-crop one for post (I nearly always use the post-crop). You can set it for barely perceptible to down the barrel James Bond style.

A walk in the Park

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    Recently I have been forcing myself to look for the simple things that stand out in a scene, I used to have a tendency to try and get EVERYTHING in to the frame because it looked so good to my eye but doesn't easily translate that way in the camera. A case of less is more I think.
    I find myself trying (notice, I said try) to do the same thing. Smaller, simpler that is. Unfortunately, once the camera goes up to the eye, my brain forgets what it should be doing and end up trying to get everything.

Real Name
    Myra

Love the texture and colours in the bench photo. I can picture that hanging on the wall of a den or office.
    Question: How does one access the Exif info from a posted photo? When I right click, the info I get under properties is very limited.

Myra

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Love the texture and colours in the bench photo. I can picture that hanging on the wall of a den or office.
    Question: How does one access the Exif info from a posted photo? When I right click, the info I get under properties is very limited.

Myra
    Dave was helpful enough to provide that info here. I use the FxIF plug-in in Firefox.

Cheers,
    Rick