Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P/P advice

Real Name
    Mark

Re: P/P advice

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Jason, a number of folks have rightfully indicated that it is up to you to decide what you want the result to look like, then work toward that goal. Moreover, if WE know what you want it to look like, we can be a whole lot more helpful.

Here is something I do to resolve that issue. I collect images that I REALLY like and spend time trying to determine why those particular images appeal to me more than any of the others. From those decisions I learn a whole lot about what is becoming 'my style' and can more easily determine what I want MY images to look like. You could call this the process of 'developing your vision'.

Once I know that, then I also know exactly what I want to achieve in the final result. That directs my image plan from the time I contemplate exactly how I'm going to shoot the scene to the time I finish post processing. It dictates everything from the camera and settings I'll want to use to what I'll need at shoot time to get the most out of the image given the PP techniques I plan to apply. Hope this helps!
    I think that's a mighty helpful contribution, Frank.

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lundberg View Post
    I have been seeing this when I open this forum:
    "it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member?"
    Well. this thread is the reason why not.
    I don't mean to disrespect a member serving in the 'Stan, but this image, according to the EXIF was taken at f/16 at 1/250 in the dark. Yet all of you treat it as if it is a serious attempt to portray something. Apparently there are some objects in the foreground. Whatever means was used to upload it has reduced the resolution to zilch. This is why I don't comment. There's nothing to say. I don't believe any pp can save a grossly underexposed image. I tried the exposure slider in ACR for no clipping, object recognition, and object detail but the results were not really worth the effort.
    I appreciate the comments. I'm sorry I don't meet your standards as an amateur. I only received my 70D in March and, as stated, am new but trying to learn from constructive criticism (good and bad) and advice. Using f/16 was to try to gain more depth, not due to brightness or darkness (wasn't that dark, I actually used brightness/contrast in p/p to make it look darker than it actually was to try to enhance the sunrays). My "poor attempt to portray something" as you suggest was more to photograph part of the landscape with what in my eyes was a nice view of the sun setting shortly after a sandstorm. I'm sorry you don't see it. If I had the ability to travel freely as Stagecoach has brought up, I would definitely be trying to get out and photograph this underrated landscape, especially visit the closeby Alexander the great's castle or the remnants of the Buddha statues the Taliban destroyed in early 2001. But, contractually, I cannot even get close to the perimeter wall.

Thank you Stagecoach for your comments.

I am going on vacation in about 50 days to Sri Lanka and Dubai to which I am trying when I can to better myself so I can take photographs during this trip that I would be proud of. So again, thank you to all of you with constructive comments.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Do NOT kid yourself that only newbys forget cards at times

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Do NOT kid yourself that only newbys forget cards at times
    Isn't that why Pros like cameras with two card slots - less chance of being found out when they forget to replace a card after a download

Real Name
    Shane

Jason;

I actually like the mood of this shot and that it is not over processed to the point of being unrealistic. The soft light through the clouds is quite beautiful. I think that you should put this one in the keeper file (along the lines of what Frank said) and take another look at it in a few weeks or months to see if you still like it and what you might do with it once your post processing skills catch up to your ability to compose a scene and press the shutter button It's a place where we all find ourselves at some point in our development and once you learn more, you realize that there is still more to learn...it can seem like a never ending circle.

I also thank you for your service and look forward to seeing more of your images from the area as I think that the media (in the US) does a pretty good job of showing us the ugly side of that part of the world but rarely takes the time to show us the natural beauty.

Have fun on your leave. Hopefully you will have some more time to practice with your new camera and a better internet connection so you can download all the training videos that your heart desires.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

The learning curve is a bit painful at the start, Jason but will get better as you go along...I cannot ask you to be patient because of the place where you are now and the restrictions of the place. I am glad that you will have your leave. In the meantime, I cannot stress it enough for you to be careful out there. 50 days seems a long time for me, but keep busy and keep learning. We will await the time you can be free to roam around where you will be going and using that camera of yours, uploading some of your vacation shots.. If I can be of help, I will as I know others here too will. We will all be here.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    I appreciate the comments. I'm sorry I don't meet your standards as an amateur. I only received my 70D in March and, as stated, am new but trying to learn from constructive criticism (good and bad) and advice. Using f/16 was to try to gain more depth, not due to brightness or darkness (wasn't that dark, I actually used brightness/contrast in p/p to make it look darker than it actually was to try to enhance the sunrays). My "poor attempt to portray something" as you suggest was more to photograph part of the landscape with what in my eyes was a nice view of the sun setting shortly after a sandstorm. I'm sorry you don't see it. If I had the ability to travel freely as Stagecoach has brought up, I would definitely be trying to get out and photograph this underrated landscape, especially visit the closeby Alexander the great's castle or the remnants of the Buddha statues the Taliban destroyed in early 2001. But, contractually, I cannot even get close to the perimeter wall.

Thank you Stagecoach for your comments.

I am going on vacation in about 50 days to Sri Lanka and Dubai to which I am trying when I can to better myself so I can take photographs during this trip that I would be proud of. So again, thank you to all of you with constructive comments.
    I did not say "poor'. Your entire approach did not make sense. If you only wanted the sun behind the clouds after a sandstorm, then take a picture of that, properly exposed, at infinity focus.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I know I'm coming to this thread far too late. Apologies.

But, picking up on the discussion above about where best to get information on learning the GIMP, I have no hesitation in suggesting that the best resource is 'Meet the GIMP'. This link is to the older video tutorials and though we're onto much newer version so the GIMP, what's in those will give you an excellent basic grounding. It was this resource that brought me from the stage of 'Doh, what's post-processing?' (I mean that) to where I am now in terms of knowledge and, I hope, skill'.

Rolf, who's site it is and who's produced the tutorials suggests that a beginner should approach the videos in the following order:

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I know I'm coming to this thread far too late. Apologies.

But, picking up on the discussion above about where best to get information on learning the GIMP, I have no hesitation in suggesting that the best resource is 'Meet the GIMP'. This link is to the older video tutorials and though we're onto much newer version so the GIMP, what's in those will give you an excellent basic grounding. It was this resource that brought me from the stage of 'Doh, what's post-processing?' (I mean that) to where I am now in terms of knowledge and, I hope, skill'.

Rolf, who's site it is and who's produced the tutorials suggests that a beginner should approach the videos in the following order:
    There are some more advanced tutorials here for people once they have found their way around it. Some of the techniques can be used on all sorts of things not just as per the examples.

http://blog.patdavid.net/p/getting-around-in-gimp.html

There are masses of tutorials about on all sorts of things.

As I see it the normal GIMP workflow has one disadvantage and that is being tied to Ufraw for raw development. Don't get me wrong it does what it says on the can but for several years now I feel it hasn't been as it should. To me it makes more sense to use one of the more complete packages and export to the GIMP even if very little work is done in them. There are several candidates. Rawtherapee,Darktable. Photivo and maybe RawStudio or GtkRawStudio. Personally I tend to favour Rawtherapee. Colin downloaded it and mentioned ugg only one gradient and a bit odd as well. As I see it the application can be used to get raw shots basically right and then on to the GIMP which has as many as required and a number of other things as well. Lightzone is another application that will work on raw. Not sure what that can do now. I think Darktable is only available for Mac and Linux.

For perspective and lens correction Hugin is very handy as it can generate lens correction files as well for lensfun which is what these packages tend to come with or use. It's also a pretty capable panorama generator. It will also open raw files but asks if it should be added to the current project. If used to correct a shot or shots its VERY important to read the tutorial on it's web site as the default projection set probably wont match what the user wants.

I meant to add that of late the GIMP doesn't mention colour depth reduction when 16bit png is loaded. To be completely honest though I have never had any problems when it does. It seems they are having problems with tiff. I also believe all internal manipulations are now in 32bit floating point colour. This effectively means colour information can never be lost. The biggest difference really between it and PS is certain aspects about adjustment layers. Destructive - lots of twaddle as anything that is done can be undone and people don't usually save to the same file name.

On the same note rawtherapee and photivo save the state of all modifications and don't disturb the original image so if the same image is loaded again the correction settings are restore or can be reset. The GIMP will also save the state of play in much the same way as PS = big files.

John
    -
    Last edited by ajohnw; 30th May 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Real Name
    John

I should have added another source as well. These are maybe a bit advanced in places and need a little more operator skill but although hesitant his explanations are usually pretty clear.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHuT...aW1DJLA/videos

John
    -

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at the mentioned tutorials when I get the chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12