Thread: Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

Real Name
    Peter

Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

An image from New Zealand taken on a rather dull day which; was unusual during our trip.

This time from the thermal wonderland park near Rotorua, which has lots of strange and colourful sights from that which you can see here; to boiling mud pools, bright green lakes etc.

This image is of an area called I think "The Artists Palette". As always your comments/critique are welcome.

Exif, 5D3, 24-105 at 32mm, ISO100 f16, 1/60 sec hand held.

Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland

The image suits the name of the area very well Peter. Very nice composition with nice colours

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great composition, Peter. Can't wait to see the rest of your New Zealand photos. Keep 'em coming!

You've got a fairly strong halo along the top of the trees and hills, perhaps added as an action when sharpening was applied during downsizing for the Internet. If it's not in your original file, no worries. (I just had to use that phrase, "no worries," considering that you just came back from New Zealand and no doubt heard it being used constantly.)

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    This image is of an area called I think "The Artists Palette".
    I just now confirmed that by looking up photos on the Internet. I also added that cataloging information to my own photos, thanks to you.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 30th April 2014 at 08:11 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Interesting shot Peter,

Have you considered cropping a little off the lower edge?
    It gives quite a different 'feel' placing the red/stone split going right in to the lower left corner itself.

You can play around (here) by clicking the image to view it in the Lytebox, then dragging that to position it to achieve different crop options.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Great composition, Peter. Can't wait to see the rest of your New Zealand photos. Keep 'em coming!

You've got a fairly strong halo along the top of the trees and hills, perhaps added as an action when sharpening was applied during downsizing for the Internet. If it's not in your original file, no worries. (I just had to use that phrase, "no worries," considering that you just came back from New Zealand and no doubt heard it being used constantly.)

I just now confirmed that by looking up photos on the Internet. I also added that cataloging information to my own photos, thanks to you.
    Glad to be of assistance Mike, thanks for spotting my processing error I had noticed it when I took the image back in to Lightroom and thought I had fixed it😠 I may have posted the wrong version!. She'll be right

But...I've slapped my wrists and written one hundred lines "I must be more careful with Nik output sharpening" 😉

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Interesting shot Peter,

Have you considered cropping a little off the lower edge?
    It gives quite a different 'feel' placing the red/stone split going right in to the lower left corner itself.

You can play around (here) by clicking the image to view it in the Lytebox, then dragging that to position it to achieve different crop options.
    Thanks for the info wrt Lytebox I will give that a try, I do have other un-cropped images which have the composition you have suggested. You are spot on as it does change the feel of the image. I liken it to an image having a view down a valley, where the image has been composed/cropped such that the high ground intrudes in to the skyline corners IYSWIM

I used this image as I had just been calibrating my monitors and changing colour settings in both LR and PS and I wanted to process a new RAW file for comparison with previously edited images.

Dave's suggested crop also makes it possible to use a very nice 8 x 10 aspect ratio, though I don't know if that's the standard in your part of the world that it is in mine.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Oh Wow! That is a nice shot Peter...the colours are beautiful and the place is beautiful too.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

If you are going to do some cropping (and a diagonal starting near a corner is strong from a composition viewpoint) why not crop the sky out completely. It's tone is competing with the shoreline tones without adding any great interest. Indeed in this case it gave eagle eye Mike something to pick on..

Just wrote on another posting of yours about wanting to see some photographs. I now assume the flow has begun. Looking forward to the rest .... how many did you take?....
    Last edited by pnodrog; 30th April 2014 at 10:51 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Hindsight tells me that I would have worked that place to death.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    why not crop the sky out completely
    I'm a fan for tight crops, so I would vote for that. On the other hand, the 8 x 10 crop that I suggested includes a smaller part of the sky and I don't think the sky detracts. That choice really depends on the story you want to tell.