Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Closely set smallish eyes...

Real Name
    Richard

Closely set smallish eyes...

I am asking for suggestions.

How would you light & pose a young female with rather small and closely set eyes in a formal portrait? I have been asked to shoot the portrait and the young lady is somewhat self conscious about her looks. To be honest, she is a nice looking young lady but, her eyes seem to draw attention away from the rest of her face.

I was thinging about a 3/4 view with only one eye showing and with her looking someplace other than at the camera or even a profile. What do you think?

I want the portrait to be as flattering as possible...

Re: Closely set smallish eyes...

To be honest, I don't think this is too much of a problem. Go into a local supermarket and stand in one of the cross sections of the aisles for 10 mins and just look closely at the people going by. I guarantee that only about 5% of the people will be slim, attractive, blemish-free, clear-skinned, and generally pleasing to the eye. Actually, I think it would be less than 5%. I agree that eyes are a difficult one as it's a portrait and we know that they eyes are an important feature there. But at the end of the day we all have to accept other people for what they are. To get around your immediate problem, I would shoot with the head slightly to one side. That way, both eyes may be showing, but the perspective will mask any minor problems. And it is a minor problem.

Why do you think I'm wearing sunglasses?

Why do you think I'm wearing sunglasses?
    You drive an Audi?

I agree with Robs pointers. And it will be difficult to take attention away from the eyes. I would make sure that she is not staring into the lens and as Rob says no full frontal face shots. You might try a hat (on the subject obviously). Hats can often transform the face. Maybe try motion shots with the hair wrapping around the face. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Steve

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    only about 5% of the people will be slim, attractive, blemish-free, clear-skinned, and generally pleasing to the eye.
    Well there's the two of us for a start Rob - who would have thought eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Well there's the two of us for a start Rob - who would have thought eh?
    Don't you just love Administrators... Closely set smallish eyes...

To me, the obvious answer is to do a selection of angles and let them choose which they prefer. An easy cop out ?