Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-800-got-milk

Real Name
    Terry

1-800-got-milk

If you call me and I sound like I am drowning, no worries! Just a bad connection!

1-800-got-milk

Real Name
    John

Re: 1-800-got-milk

Nicely executed.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done and some imagination Terry.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Terry -- it is nice as it is, but seriously, if you liquefy some part of the milk image to the top or some part of the phone, then it is not too obvious that it is a composite...you have a winner here, lots of possibilities.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very imaginative and crisp but I don't understand the story being told. Is it the idea that the phone is supposed to be falling into some milk? If so, what is the container that it is falling into? I would call you to ask but I fear I'd get a terrible connection.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Nicely done and some imagination Terry.
    Thank you for commenting Johns 1 thru 2!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Terry -- it is nice as it is, but seriously, if you liquefy some part of the milk image to the top or some part of the phone, then it is not too obvious that it is a composite...you have a winner here, lots of possibilities.
    Izzie I think you have something there. I left some liquid on the right bottom corner and I wondered if it would be enough. I didn’t think it was either but wanted to see if anyone mentioned it. Glad you did. Thank you. I'll probably go with this one!

1-800-got-milk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Very imaginative and crisp but I don't understand the story being told. Is it the idea that the phone is supposed to be falling into some milk? If so, what is the container that it is falling into? I would call you to ask but I fear I'd get a terrible connection.
    Mike I guess I missed the memo that stated a photo has to tell a story. Probably got a phone call regarding said but had a bad connection!

It was supposed to be a splash coming from behind the phone.

Here’s the story:

I like splash photography and I want to get to where I can controI it better. I wanted to do something with it I hadn’t done before.

I wanted to shoot an iPhone with the screen lit. I knew I wanted to light it nicely and I knew I’d have to drag my shutter to get the screen exposed properly. So I put two lights on it and a lit white background (because I knew I would clip it out later) and lit up the phone screen. The shot of the phone is one frame, fired three lights, and is a two second exposure that was shot in a dark studio.

I wanted to shoot some opaque liquid more viscous than water. I wanted to analyze lighting opaque liquid and see what I could learn about it. I knew there were going to be shadows and I wanted to light it such that there were highlights on it as well. This knowing that every toss of the liquid would be different so I wanted to see if I could get a general lighting arrangement that would cover that. I had to freeze the motion and it had to be sharp. I wanted a black background to contrast the white phone and the white liquid, which by the way is a 1:1 mixture of Elmer’s glue and water.

I knew it was going to have to be comped and I knew how I wanted to try it. It is a 15 shot comp not counting two shots of the phone (CiC and waterfall on the screen) and one reference shot with a gray card and color checker.

I wanted to make a huge mess!

I wanted to have fun!

Nothing more to it than that Mike! Sorry! At least I got the last two right!

Careful if you call Mike! You might get an earful of glue!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There is something about the second composition that makes me understand immediately that the photo is conveying a splash coming from behind the phone. The first composition didn't convey that to me. That's the story being told in my mind and the second composition tells it very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I like splash photography
    Really? We hadn't noticed.

I would never have thought of mixing the glue and the water. It certainly made me think it was milk. You must wander around a store trying to dream up imaginative ways to mix this and that.

I heard on the radio yesterday that a woman died because she mixed two common household cleaning liquids. The chemical reaction that took place created a lethal gas. Be careful, Terry!

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Terry,

Fun, imaginative, creative and technically perfect, as always.

It may be my eyesight but the milk looks a little bit pink, like strawberry milk to me.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Terry,

Fun, imaginative, creative and technically perfect, as always.

It may be my eyesight but the milk looks a little bit pink, like strawberry milk to me.
    Thank you Christina.

Its not your eyesight! It has a tint. I didn't like it desaturated (I tried it)!

Real Name
    Christina

My pleasure.

Good to know. Strawberry milk it shall be!

Thank you Christina.

Its not your eyesight! It has a tint. I didn't like it desaturated (I tried it)!

Real Name
    Terry

Well, no use crying over spilled milk!

Here ya go Christina!

(Maybe I like this one better after all!)

1-800-got-milk

Real Name
    Christina

I like both. Strawberry milk for the beautiful colours and this one for the look of real milk, unflavoured.

I have to say that I absolutely adore the waterfall image in your phone, so I'm heading out to find a waterfall.

Well, no use crying over spilled milk!

Here ya go Christina!

(Maybe I like this one better after all!)

1-800-got-milk

Real Name
    Binnur

The last one is excellent

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you Christina!

That is Continental Falls in Colorado. Over 10,000 ft. elevation we hiked up to.

I thought I noticed a thread about hiking with a full frame camera! Add to that a tripod, a 70-200mm f/2.8,a 1.4 tele, a 24-105mm, several filters, water, food, extra clothing, flashlight, small first aid kit, various survival items (knife, parachute cord, etc.).

Next time I’m just taking the phone!

Thank you for commenting Binnur! It was a fun shoot!

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you for sharing...

It poured cats and dogs so I never made it to the waterfall. I know what it is like to hike with all of that gear except my camera is lighter and the elevation no more than 3000 feet... Except I've never needed a parachute cord!

QUOTE=Loose Canon;406042]Thank you Christina!

That is Continental Falls in Colorado. Over 10,000 ft. elevation we hiked up to.

I thought I noticed a thread about hiking with a full frame camera! Add to that a tripod, a 70-200mm f/2.8,a 1.4 tele, a 24-105mm, several filters, water, food, extra clothing, flashlight, small first aid kit, various survival items (knife, parachute cord, etc.).

Next time I’m just taking the phone!

Thank you for commenting Binnur! It was a fun shoot![/QUOTE]

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    It poured cats and dogs so I never made it to the waterfall.
    Sweet! Best time to chase waterfalls! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Real Name
    Christina

I headed back home to protect my camera from the rain (pouring cats and dogs). Surely you are kidding!

However I will try again on a cloudy day.

Sweet! Best time to chase waterfalls! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Real Name
    Terry

No not kidding at all!

But you are right. The fall will start ripping after a good rain. Not during. The watershed has to run off to feed the falls. Depending on the size and contour of the shed. We have a number of creeks that within 24 hours of a good frog-choker will rise. Some will rise in less, some in more.

I have been camped on rivers while boating that have flooded while we never got a drop of rain. If it rains where you are on a river you are good. It has to rain upstream to flood where you are.

This time of year, at least where I live, it takes a lot more rain to feed the rivers/creeks/falls. The vegetation is starting to open up and will soak up the precip a lot more than when they are dormant, say, in the winter time. So less runoff.

I have heard even one medium sized tree can soak up to 100 gallons a day. If that's the case it takes a lot of rain to get the runoff!

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Terry for some very helpful tips. Appreciated.

Now back on topic to your amazing image...!

Real Name
    Greg

Good shot, Terry. If the liquid wasn't so opaque I could almost believe it was coming out of the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast